Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2011/12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I've run the animation. Although I can see Ocean and in land Lakes and Bays change I can't see as much as 1 pixel change on the land itself. Is this just covering water only? In otherwords the land area is a template?

The comparison maps show changes in snow cover, not sure about the rest. http://igloo.atmos.uiuc.edu/cgi-bin/test/print.sh?fm=09&fd=11&fy=2010&sm=09&sd=11&sy=2011

It'd be a pity if the hi-res images didn't.

Posted

Morning all! the snow is really building up now!

It makes me all weirdly excited lol :D

15thsept2011.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Morning all! the snow is really building up now!

It makes me all weirdly excited lol biggrin.png

15thsept2011.gif

Blimey, even Iceland is nearly full (of course the areas blank in Iceland are the warmer coastal areas usually). Siberia looking very tasty, hopefully during October/November the Urals and Western Siberian plain will get stuff, and quite a bit usually falls in Scandinavia, as well as of course, my favourite build-up area, the UK!

Posted

Regarding the Sea Ice... has it levelled out now? Looking at this animation, you can definitely see in the last two frames (days) it is increasing? Unless I'm seeing things...

http://polar.ncep.no.../seaice/nh.html

Check out the Arctic ice threads, big gains in sea ice extent in the last 2 days! Area going up slowly too.

Posted

Thanks BFTV, I literally just popped over there as I remember there was lots of discussion there and saw the new Refreeze thread! Good stuff :) Quite early if it has then? Hope there are no dips from here on...

Posted

Nothing here in my part of the Rockies in western Canada yet - quite a warm end to summer when usually by now the snow would be on the hills at around 8000 ft or above and looking at the forecast it might be a few more weeks - looks like all the wintry stuff is reserved for russia, parts of alaska and the northern mountains of BC, Canada so far

Exciting to see the progression though

Posted

Oh look!drinks.gif

There's our first bit of snow on the Ural mountains!!!

Could be the first proper european snow of the winter if it's on our side of the range!!

Posted

Almost enough white there to make a few lines. lol

Naughty!

Yes, it a very good start to the season coupled with an early re-freeze of the Arctic! good.gif

Posted

Nothing here in my part of the Rockies in western Canada yet - quite a warm end to summer when usually by now the snow would be on the hills at around 8000 ft or above and looking at the forecast it might be a few more weeks - looks like all the wintry stuff is reserved for russia, parts of alaska and the northern mountains of BC, Canada so far

Exciting to see the progression though

I visited the Rockies last October between the 2nd and 12th and there was virtually no snow on the higher peaks between Canmore and the Icefield Tour Station between Banff and Jasper at over 2500m. Indeed it was remarkably mild throughout my stay, temps on the 5th peaking at 20 degrees at that was on the actual icefield tour - balmy! I wonder if the rockies will see another last season start like last year - however, last year was a stop start to the season late sept was notably cold I was told with early snowfalls in banff - sods law I missed out! - but conversely I enjoyed great usable conditions with no issue of early snowfalls blocking the higher part of the icefield tour or making for difficult walking conditions.

Posted

Latest snow anomoly map show the extent of the positive build ups of snow.

16thsept2011snowan.png

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

that's today's picture, not the 15ths?

Posted

Latest snow anomoly map show the extent of the positive build ups of snow.

that's today's picture, not the 15ths?

It's just the link to the latest image directly from the NOAA site, so it will update every day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Has there been a small loss today in ice build up?

Posted

Nordic snow watch, -2/-3C uppers over Scandi mtns. today and tomorrow as HP moves in from the South there. -4/-5C uppers possible tomorrow night and through the start of the next week on the Kola peninsula. Expect a few white dots.

Posted

Has there been a small loss today in ice build up?

Yep, 25,000km2 according the the IJIS site http://www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/seaice/extent/plot.csv

Posted

Some extremely cold 850 air in Greenland and the Northwestern Passages, -16C uppers currently over there. BFTV, is this normal? smile.png

Nope, tis quite cold! Average uppers around this time of year over Nares strait would be around -9C at the 850hPa level.

post-6901-0-24735600-1316282391_thumb.gi

Uppers are above average across most of the Eurasian side of the Arctic though...

post-6901-0-03286600-1316282527_thumb.pn

Posted

It's just the link to the latest image directly from the NOAA site, so it will update every day.

Ahhh I see, I usually save and link the images from photobucket so that they can be seen in order of date, otherwise this thread cannot be used as an archive.

Just for anyone who uploads and updates the thread :-)

Posted

Ahhh I see, I usually save and link the images from photobucket so that they can be seen in order of date, otherwise this thread cannot be used as an archive.

Just for anyone who uploads and updates the thread :-)

It's nice to be able to look back and see what maps people are referring to in the discussions as well.

Posted

Thanks BFTV, I've been looking around the wetter charts for this date each date and -9C sounds about right, however, on this date in 1962, it was -25C upper air that was over there - incredible, oh, and what happened that winter again? :p

This is a brilliant link - mess around with the model data button on the right :)

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?zoom=4&rad=0&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=1&mm.mdl=GFS&mm.type=SURPRE&mm.hour=0&mm.opa=100&mm.clk=0&hur=0&fire=0&tor=0&ndfd=0&pix=0&dir=0&ads=0&tfk=0&fodors=0&ski=0&ls=0&rad2=0

As a precursor to the winter Alpine threads, I'll take a look at potential snow for the alpine regions.

The change in the next 48 hrs is amazing. From 850HPA temps of 18c, something that was very elusive across the UK during the summer.

To 850HPa temps of 0-5c and freezing levels closer to 1800-2200m in some parts of the Alps. This is set to give some moderate snowfalls of 25-50cm in some locations, especially for the higher mountains.

http://www.snow-fore...rgurgl/6day/top

It will be interesting in a few days time to see whether or not webcams and the Northern Hemisphere snow maps show this additional snowfall.