Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2011/12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

19th(above and below) > 20th,

ims2011262_asiaeurope.gifims2011263_asiaeurope.gif

Edited by Lynxus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

More snow in the Alps.

I suspect this will melt below 2500m in the coming days though.

Posted

For those of you with an iPhone, I'm not sure how accurate this is but it seems to correspond well to the NOAA charts, showing snow cover in the northern hemisphere, current cloud conditions, and 7 day local weather forecasts.

There may also be an android version I'm not sure though blum.gif

(it was also particularly helpful watching Hurricanes track north and into the North Atlantic (e.g. Irene and Katia)

http://itunes.apple....d379869627?mt=8

Edited by Andy163

Posted

post-12276-0-28184300-1316545650_thumb.g

Todays! I think this should make sure that when people view this in a few days time, it will have todays date on, and not update automatically, hopefully! smile.png

Oh yeah, click on the photo to enlarge tease.gif

Thanks I F acute.gif

I think there'll be a good 'whitening' up of Siberia over the next few days, it does seem to come in spats doesn't it?

Posted

Last 10 days...

62e463affb5adba402e18f085ffa62ac.gif

Posted

Better if Cyclonic did the updates guys, don't you reckon? - too disjointed to follow otherwise! It was also his idea in the first place, he deserves directorship (if he wants it )

Styx:

Short time contributor, long time readerdrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Better if Cyclonic did the updates guys, don't you reckon? - too disjointed to follow otherwise! It was also his idea in the first place, he deserves directorship (if he wants it )

Styx:

Short time contributor, long time readerdrinks.gif

I have to agree, it does get quite confusing with images being posted the night before. I like logging on in the morning and seeing Cyclonics morning updates.

Good to see the snow building up more than last year, whether thats a sign or not is yet to be seen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I disagree. Cyclonic even said himself that anyone can post them if they want.

He's not going to say no one else can post charts is he? Lol

No one would say that as that would sound big headed and arrogant.

What will be will be but for me this topic has been spoilt by any old Tom dick n Harry (including yourself) posting charts. It's too complicated

I disagree. Cyclonic even said himself that anyone can post them if they want.

Posted

I also disagree, sometimes Cyclonic is busy or can't do it, this is a free forum and we ought not stop people from posting, and Lynexx comparisons make for interesting reading. And the comment that mentioned that he didnt want to offend numerous time, did the exact thing IMO and offend with that use of language. It's a forum, a free forum let everybody be free to post as they wish. We don't say in the model thread only you and you post now coz you do a good job of it, nonsense.

I completely agree, doesn't change the fact that by everyone posting at the same time it's made it more complicated

That'sy opinion and if you read back you will see others have the same opinion as me.

Also the psychology of him not telling other people to post is 100% correct.

It's the same philosophy as when someone asks you if you mind them going with you somewhere and you just say yes because to say no would sound rude and make you feel uncomfortable

Good comment though

It is a free forum but again doesn't mean that certain behaviours wouldn't be for the better regardless of free speech

I also disagree, sometimes Cyclonic is busy or can't do it, this is a free forum and we ought not stop people from posting, and Lynexx comparisons make for interesting reading. And the comment that mentioned that he didnt want to offend numerous time, did the exact thing IMO and offend with that use of language. It's a forum, a free forum let everybody be free to post as they wish. We don't say in the model thread only you and you post now coz you do a good job of it, nonsense.

Posted

Here's this morning's image, seems to have slowed down a bit, but I'm sure that will change shortly.

I don't mind other people posting the daily image, the only thing I ask is that they are uploaded to a seperate image hosting site so that they appear in order.

Honestly I don't mind guys, as you say sometimes I'm up late and haven't the time first thing or whatever lame excuse :D

This thread is open to anyone who wants to contribute :)

22ndsept2011.gif

also snow anomaly image.

snowanom22ndsept2011.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Could this potential heatwave be good for snow lovers? The GFS has SST's up 2C from now to 1 October. The higher the difference between 850hpa temps and SST's, the more convection (usually 13C difference to get any convection, up to 20C provides v.heavy convection). Usually the N Sea e'lies provide low cloud, unless the sea is relatively warm and uppers cold - that's why we got such heavy snow up here last November, sst's were roughly 10-11C, 850 temps were -5C to -10C.

If you want a potent snow storm in winter, and you preferably live in the East or South, then Indian Summers can be a blessing in disguise.

Posted

No disrecpect lynxus but I don't think I'm alone here in thinking just cyclonic should do the updates as it gets a bit confusing

It is his baby and he does a better job of it if I'm honest. Again no offence intended just think it better for the forum if you take a back seat

I only posted because we were missing a day....

Id rather sit back watch the data like last year.

Also thought it would be nice to see an animation of the last 10 days.. So made one.

Edited by Lynxus

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I realise i may be jumping the gun here but with 8 days until october 1st it looks as though since 2004 that 2004, 2007 and 2010 will have more snowcover (maps on page 6).

Posted

Morning!

The initial positive anomolies have slowed down, but we are still ahead.

Here's today's.

24thsept2011.gif

Posted
  • Location: Queensbury, West Yorkshire. 327m (1,072ft) [top of road = 406m (1,332 ft)]
  • Location: Queensbury, West Yorkshire. 327m (1,072ft) [top of road = 406m (1,332 ft)]

Morning!

The initial positive anomolies have slowed down, but we are still ahead.

Here's today's.

24thsept2011.gif

I've noticed these past week that the stretch of sea ice running down the western side of Greenland is retreating! That can't be a good thing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I've noticed these past week that the stretch of sea ice running down the western side of Greenland is retreating! That can't be a good thing!

I would not worry to much that area on the greenland coast is normally smaller anyway at this time of year.

Nice to see abit more growth on the snow front. laugh.png

Posted

I would not worry to much that area on the greenland coast is normally smaller anyway at this time of year.

Nice to see abit more growth on the snow front. laugh.png

I know but still, the more the merrier! :p

And I haven't really seen much more snow appear in this last week either! I still think we're currently up on last year though :)

Posted

I know but still, the more the merrier! blum.gif

And I haven't really seen much more snow appear in this last week either! I still think we're currently up on last year though smile.png

It is possible that the ice was quite fragmented and has been compacted giving the impression that we have less when the volume is actually similar (actually a good thing).

I know but still, the more the merrier! blum.gif

And I haven't really seen much more snow appear in this last week either! I still think we're currently up on last year though smile.png

We are up on 2009 (though that had a record October), not sure about 2010 as that had a fair bit on October 1st.

In my opinion it actually sea ice that is holding us back at the moment as we have very little touching the coast, once this happens we should be in very good shape given that synoptics are clearly good given the inland above average extent.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rhavn002.gif

Current chart shows why we are not really losing any in the main area with a nice cold pool.

Looks fairly settled in eastern Siberia for the next week or so so no major falls will be likely unless we see the ice get to the coast however it may be worth looking at western Russia, though the main action looks like transfering to Canada.