Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2011/12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Could this be a sign!!!! smiliz39.gif

It's got our name on it!

It literally has too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

That was last year guys

Yes. The best picture I had seen all year. :)

Posted

I posted the previous years alongside the current years then for a comparison that showed we are slightly down so far this year but it's certainly getting going now!

Here's todays.

2wm146g.jpg

Posted

Morning all!

Here's the anomoly image, it's alot better than it was but we still have rather alot of red around.

8thanom2011.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

No, not much if any precipitation hanging around Lapland - only clipping nw norway.

Had a look at arosacam.com and it's a ski resort somewhere in la suisse or austria. Makes sense as there is also a lot of precipitation around the alps.

Posted

most areas in the Alps are having a good snowfall last night into today-google any of the webcams to see this happening. In the Jungfrau area its snowing down to about 3500ft

most areas in the Alps are having a good snowfall last night into today-google any of the webcams to see this happening. In the Jungfrau area its snowing down to about 3500ft

Will any of this last through to the winter, or will it be restricted to say above 3000m, as we are not even halfway through Autumn yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Posted

Indeed Aaron, but that is the city centre, one of the higher points in Kiruna (520m). The airport (400-oddm) and the ICEHOTEL (350-oddm) has pretty much disappeared but there is the potential for some snow on Monday, likely turning to rain later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Indeed Aaron, but that is the city centre, one of the higher points in Kiruna (520m). The airport (400-oddm) and the ICEHOTEL (350-oddm) has pretty much disappeared but there is the potential for some snow on Monday, likely turning to rain later.

Shouldn't be long before the snow sets in for good in Kiruna,

Posted

Will any of this last through to the winter, or will it be restricted to say above 3000m, as we are not even halfway through Autumn yet.

Not in the area I know well but it should stay in significant patches down to about 7000ft I would think.

Posted

We have a little deficit http://moe.met.fsu.e...time-4month.png I see large red are;as in Siberia, that's not good for our winter. Hopefully things will change

I assume the red means warmth or high pressure?? If so, you must remember Siberia and other Northern hemisphere regions will cool down natrually and it can only takes a day for the cold too flood in so I don't see the need to worry in all honesty. Also, there are other sources for cold weather to reach our shores.

Looking at some of the posts, I still get the sence that if the snowcover does not match previous years, we are doomed as far as winter is concerned or if there is more snowcover, the likelyhood of a cold winter increases but as I said earlier in this thread, I think it makes little to no difference whatsoever. Still nothing wrong with doing comparisons and all that but don't use it as a guide to what our winter will be like.

Posted

post-847-0-87201700-1318094157_thumb.jpg

6700ft up in the Jungfrau region a short time ago

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

I assume the red means warmth or high pressure?? If so, you must remember Siberia and other Northern hemisphere regions will cool down natrually and it can only takes a day for the cold too flood in so I don't see the need to worry in all honesty. Also, there are other sources for cold weather to reach our shores.

Looking at some of the posts, I still get the sence that if the snowcover does not match previous years, we are doomed as far as winter is concerned or if there is more snowcover, the likelyhood of a cold winter increases but as I said earlier in this thread, I think it makes little to no difference whatsoever. Still nothing wrong with doing comparisons and all that but don't use it as a guide to what our winter will be like.

The red means negative anomoly on snow cover on average, blue means positive. And I agree with what you say - cold pooling just generally happens round here, I just use this thread to see that snow line slowly creep towards the British Isles! (and spy on webcams from the snowier depths of the planet!)

Posted

ims2011281asiaeurope.gif

Gains in the Alps, scandinavia and siberia today. The ice appears to be making a mad dash towards reaching some coasts also!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer & Snowy Winter

'Grit ready for a chilly -20°C'

Councils order 1.4million tonnes of grit

JUST days after a heatwave Brits have been warned to brace themselves for a cold snap with temperatures plunging to -20°C.

WINTER-682_1388542a.jpg

Nervous councils are busy stockpiling 1.4million tonnes of grit in preparation for another harsh winter and snow falling as early as next month.

On average councils have ordered 1,500 tonnes more salt than at the same time last year as forecasters predict the UK could be just weeks away from a sudden collapse in temperatures.

Forecaster James Madden, from Exacta Weather, said: "I expect the most frequent and heavy snowfalls to occur across many parts of the UK during November, December and January at present."

Temperatures dropped as far as -20°C last winter and Mr Madden said of the upcoming cold snap: "It is likely that temperature and snowfall records will be broken."

The Local Government Association (LGA) revealed authorities were aiming to stockpile more salt for October than the total amount used last winter.

Scotland has already seen snow this week, just days after record October temperatures saw bikini-clad sun seekers hit beaches around the UK.

And forecasters have predicted temperatures in the seventies (Fahrenheit) on Sunday and Monday.

WINTER-682_1388540a.jpg

Councillor Peter Box, LGA economy and transport chairman, said: "Whatever surprises the weather may have in store for us this winter, motorists can count on council highways teams being better prepared than ever before to keep disruption to a minimum."

"This year councils have more salt and better plans in place to make it go further while even more volunteers and community groups have been lined up to help with the great gritting effort."

AOL News: http://travel.aol.co...e-within-weeks/

Metro News: http://www.metro.co....all-this-winter

Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

Express: http://www.express.c...-to-hit-Britain

The Sun: http://www.thesun.co...chilly-20C.html

Edited by Luton-Weather