Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

22nd into 23rd Aug 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast Discussion And Reports

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

That band in the channel is slowly creeping its way towards me, and has been gradually gaining strength whether or not it maintains it by the time it gets here is another matter. Hopefully it will become electrified search.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Ok currently on A1 near Newark as I head south. Are there any thoughts as to when storms are likely to reach uk soil?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

That band in the channel is slowly creeping its way towards me, and has been gradually gaining strength whether or not it maintains it by the time it gets here is another matter. Hopefully it will become electrified search.gif

A few strikes have been detected out of that band approaching S Devon/Torbay....A lovely sferic grab from the NWx radar, shows up an MCS over northern France beautifully...It moving slowly northwards currently, with new storms firing on both western & eastern flanks of the system....Could be a VERY interesting night for southern parts

post-4149-0-21265300-1314043592_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

If you follow that band down to the west of France it starts to fizzle out. I guess this is the 'back edge' of the low as it heads NE. I fear this is all we're going to get the further west we are.

Although it won't be as intense as what is forecasted for the SE tonight, we are forecasted slow moving thundery showers on thurs/fri according to bbc weather. Thats what im looking forward to next, as I cant see much reason to expect much tonight except some persistent heavy rain where I live. Better potential for lightning in Dorset/Wiltshire apparently.

However if lightning does reach here tonight I wouldn't complain :p

Posted

Storm location bearing 170.5 dgr distance 151 mi Last recorded activity 21:09 Intensity class Moderate Intensity trend Intensifying Current strikerate 12/minute Peak strikerate 29/minute Total recorded strikes 2095 Cloud-Ground strikes 1192 - 56.90% Intracloud strikes 903 - 43.10% -- Strike type distribution -- Positive Cloud-Ground [+CG] 280 - 13.37% Negative Cloud-Ground [-CG] 912 - 43.53% Positive Intracloud [+IC] 489 - 23.34% Negative Intracloud [-IC] 414 - 19.76% cmon, who wants to do a storm dance.

Posted

Ok currently on A1 near Newark as I head south. Are there any thoughts as to when storms are likely to reach uk soil?

I would guess at an hour and a half. If the strike rate continues as it is over france it could be a good night for you. Here's hoping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

To be honest I can't see much happening. The French storms have been going all day and haven't crossed the channel, the local westerly flow might indicate the low pressure areas to our south west are sucking us dry. Although I live in hope I fear it may be another false alarm .... I beg to be proven wrong!

Posted

Very noticeable on how the wind has picked up since the sun has set. Feels in myself and outside that it may just be the years big event in terms of storms. Here is hoping for a great night.

Only a F3 down here on the coast, at the moment anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Got a great view , can see a good 20 miles into the Channel from here currently I would have said, nicely elevated too, as soon as I can see a distant strike from here, I'll jump straight onto here and post a quick comment or image If i'm lucky enough to get one with my state of the art mobile phone (NOT) !!.

And then I'll be trying to get some samples for some tracks Im currently working on...it's all well and good having someone elses ''Thunder'' in a track, but it's a great feeling to b able to capture part of an event like this, store it, and introduce it into a tune :)..that might involve a trek into the hills though to cut out as much background noise as I can without the use of Software

So that's my other project for the evening, a long way to go yet, and I'm not going to count my chickens until they hatch, I am beginning to get somewhat excited though...over n out for now.

Stay safe storm lovers

Posted

You can feel the excitement in here, and I'm really enjoying it. Despite being in Norwich with very little hope, I am really enjoying reading all these comments! Keep 'em coming! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

who has a jersey webcam

My family are down there this week, my dad said he's going to try take some photos as he does photography as a hobby. Not as good as live camera but if he takes some decent ones I could upload a few!

Edited by Bugganuts

Posted

If you follow that band down to the west of France it starts to fizzle out. I guess this is the 'back edge' of the low as it heads NE. I fear this is all we're going to get the further west we are.

Although it won't be as intense as what is forecasted for the SE tonight, we are forecasted slow moving thundery showers on thurs/fri according to bbc weather. Thats what im looking forward to next, as I cant see much reason to expect much tonight except some persistent heavy rain where I live. Better potential for lightning in Dorset/Wiltshire apparently.

However if lightning does reach here tonight I wouldn't complain blum.gif

Hi

That has been the problem over the past two weeks when the potential has been there four days out and we hope we have been let down as it gets into the reliable time frame. We will see about later on this week but it may be the case again of close but no cigar.

Posted

Wind is also F3 down here too, slight increase...

Still nothing noted here, Also have around 20 mile view out into the Channel!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

If i lived in Pompey still id be up on portsdown hill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Over in UKww a bloke from Jersey is reporting "loads of lightning" to his south.... Good luck yall!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Reports on UKWW that strikes are fading :(

Posted

Wind is also F3 down here too, slight increase...

Still nothing noted here, Also have around 20 mile view out into the Channel!

Sounds like you are up on the hill at Havant then.

Lucky you! Every time I have been along that hill I have always envied people their view. Hoping you see something special tonight SnowMania.

Edited by coldfingers