Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Cold & Windy Spell Discussion 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

MetO have snow and ice warnings for many areas into tomorrow:

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Rain may fall at times, but when it clears, will freeze up nicely...

EDIT.

Check oot warnings for thurs and fri - snow (higher areas) and high winds widespread (West mainly again)!

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Did some ask for pics, one from yesterday. Nearly 3 year old having fun.

post-8494-0-72629600-1323196925_thumb.jp

And the wee man taking advantage of the powder.

post-8494-0-61322400-1323197069_thumb.jp

Fantastic!

Can't wait to see some proper snow down here, we missed out big time in this part of England last winter, so we deserve something :)

Make sure you get as many videos and pictures of the forecast blizzards for us won't you? just in case we don't get any??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Off now but nice big flakes at window whilst putting tree up with kids and a singing reindeer on in background....feeling festive :)

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Think the key word here is patience. That big B**s**D band of snow out west is so heavy it will easily turn to snow. I think because we are in the very light stuff it's melting on the way down at the moment...Trust me guys snow is coming! :acute:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Keep the updates coming and also the pics, even though we ain't going to get snow down in the far south its good to see snow for you guys ;)

Posted

Think the key word here is patience. That big B**s**D band of snow out west is so heavy it will easily turn to snow. I think because we are in the very light stuff it's melting on the way down at the moment...Trust me guys snow is coming! :acute:

No the temperature at lower levels and in the atmosphere is too warm for it to snow. It will just melt all the snow that has fallen before. Really you have to be above 500ft to see anything from that.

Guest scott_anthony

heres some photos from this spell terrible qulaity, some are from my work (ek) ~ 170m asl and a couple from my local golf course. sorry for quality

IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

there you go cyclonic happiness some snow pics for you since ya asked :)

Posted
No the temperature at lower levels and in the atmosphere is too warm for it to snow. It will just melt all the snow that has fallen before. Really you have to be above 500ft to see anything from that.
uppers are -5c at the moment and sea level 1-2c. Should be marginal but I feel the heavy rain will freeze better than the light precipitation...fingers crossed! :good:

Posted

uppers are -5c at the moment and sea level 1-2c. Should be marginal but I feel the heavy rain will freeze better than the light precipitation...fingers crossed! :good:

Heavy rain would surely destroy most of the lying snow. But if there's a little snow left and it freezes then the rush hour could be fun.

Posted
Heavy rain would surely destroy most of the lying snow. But if there's a little snow left and it freezes then the rush hour could be fun.
No I meant it will form snow in the uppers better than very small moisture droplets that tend not to form snow in marginal situations. I expect it to be heavy snow tonight!

Posted

Judging by the charts for Thursday, Friday absolutely horrendous weather looks more than likely dont think I have seen a wind chart like this for a while

ukwind.png

Isle of man, campbeltown and all of the western Isles are in for one hell of a storm if this comes off.

Here is a new thread for Scotland. I've decided to add about the wind in this thread because there is a real risk of high winds and maybe even locally damaging, whilst the cold/snow continues to be a possible risk.

The wind risk on Thursday is stunning. GFS has us programmed for something we haven't seen in over a decade...I don't know if this is wise but bring it on!!! :lol: Having said that the GFS almost always backs off at the last minute.

Posted

Evening all. Another nice mainly sunny day. A wee breeze which made it rather bracing! So still dry here in the NE, though we just had the tiniest of tiny flurries. Temps seem to be on the increase so suspect anything that does make it through here later on will be rain, at least on the coast?

So eyes to the end of the week now - possible severe storm. Hope all the snow does not get blown off the hills. i want to go skiing!

CMD I just love these Westerlys/North Westerlys!!!

It could have done with being a wee bit colder, a lot of the snow which fell has been very wet here. Still, I'm looking at my third day in a row of snow cover, not bad for the first week in December.

The storm on Thursday could be a cracker, I've been waiting thirteen years for something like this!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in the summer

hmmmmm gotta drive from Glasgow to Inverness on Thursday evening/night then onto Ullapool for the ferry on friday morning..... this is gonna be very interesting.

Posted

It could have done with being a wee bit colder, a lot of the snow which fell has been very wet here. Still, I'm looking at my third day in a row of snow cover, not bad for the first week in December.

The storm on Thursday could be a cracker, I've been waiting thirteen years for something like this!!

How about snow catch, are you feeling confident with a little bit (or a lot) more later this week. Of course we've got to try and not be blown away during the storm!

Posted

Still 0c here and has not got above this all day so another ice day here. it was actually -1c at 3.30pm this afternoon. Still think it is unusually cold for an airflow from the NW coming across a lot of sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in the summer

off topic but..... only 4 posts and ive been on here a good few years not Nov 2011 (how odd... anywho) i must of missed something.

Anyway, im expecting quite a lot of snow through friday and into early saturday until the wind slackens off. Further west and north is looking like getting a packet load of showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

The wind risk on Thursday is stunning. GFS has us programmed for something we haven't seen in over a decade...I don't know if this is wise but bring it on!!! :lol: Having said that the GFS almost always backs off at the last minute.

I dunno if it will Catch will it? It's in the reliable and other models agreeing?

Posted

It's heavy rain here and my prediction of all the snow melting before midnight looks certain.

Anyway, im expecting quite a lot of snow through friday and into early saturday until the wind slackens off. Further west and north is looking like getting a packet load of showers

Hope you're right.

Posted

Third day of snow showers although only a light covering today. Got a decent cover of 6-7cm but everything is the wrong side of marginal for the next batch of precipitation to be snow, apart from the surface temperature which is still hovering around freezing. Definately rain on the way for me.