Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Southern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

There is some very vey light precipitation out there at the moment, so light it is hard to tell if it is snowy or drizzly but although it's a balmy 5 deg with a 3.9 dewpoint, it feels v cold

Agree with this came home and although temp felt like it had dropped felt bloody cold out there......Those temps/dewpoints are not anywhere near enough for snow but i agree it feels cold......No wind but clear skies and a colder feel!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

is that a band of precipitation heading our way on the radar?? bitterly cold outside....maybe an outside chance of a flurry??? any reports os whats coming out of it???

Edited by iowpompeylee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Heavy Sleet in Bristol now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

Evening guys

80% hum

2.6c (dropped 2c in about 30 mins)

Wet snow right now

Edit. Proper snow now!!! No, still wetish

Edited by Aceman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Just about to hit the mendips and intensity looking like it is increasing....

The wait is agony...

heavy sleet apar in pensford (50m) a min ago

Posted

is that a band of precipitation heading our way on the radar?? bitterly cold outside....maybe an outside chance of a flurry??? any reports os whats coming out of it???

Rain. We had a burst in Reading around five and it was fairly heavy rain with just the odd apparel on the windscreen from a dying snowflake. Will be snow over salisbury plain though judging by the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Ahhh! If it's not a front then why is the temperature rising? Do troughs have warm sectors too? Just rain here so far.

Posted

Rain. We had a burst in Reading around five and it was fairly heavy rain with just the odd apparel on the windscreen from a dying snowflake. Will be snow over salisbury plain though judging by the radar.

and ice in the morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Christmas day weather is not nailed yet but the most likely outcome is cool/cold zonality. In regards to SSW, it's probably best that you keep reading the strat thread.

Thanks Higrade - I do read the Strat threat as far as my tech knowledge takes me - ie, warm strat = more chance of big snow event and cold strat = a lot less chance! That really is about as far as I geddit but for now its lookin ok!

So I guess its all eyes on models for Xmas output now....or should I save myself the stress and just check forecast on Thurs/Fri....can I do it? Probably not dammit! Lol!

H.

Posted

I have sleet! :cray:

just don't have the intensity like you lot further east.

The trough is breaking up too.

Edited by mullender83

Posted

Nice pics audiotech. That road is always my first destination whenever there's marginal snow events. Coming out of Reading, it's usually starting to turn to snow by Nettlebed, and then proper snow by the time I reach Park Corner and Cookley Green. It was settling nicely when I first drove through around 6.30 this morning.

BTW, first real test of the winter tyres this morning and they're great. Strongly recommended for anyone who likes snow chasing like myself.

and ice in the morning!

Yes. I'm hoping the gritters will be out on force. Traffic is so bad this evening though they wouldn't get much done!

BTW, 'apparel' should have read 'splash'. Stupid phone!

BTW audiotech, next time you approach from the oxford direction, try coming off at 6, turn left and then right up the A40. Lovely drive and you'll see the snow increasing as you go up...

Posted

I have a mix of light sleet and wet snow. but its breaking up and I just wont get the evaporative cooling needed here. :nea:

Sleet turned to snow very quickly however it lasted less than 5 mins before the trough just evaporated :sorry:

temperature 1.0c

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

hi

temp was 4.2c, it started to rain and the temp dropped to 1.6c, heavy sleet with big flakes then 30secs of wet snow now its back to rain.

just caught the bbc forecast and they showed the temps rising to double digits by wednesday :80:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

Back to reality then, still loving the wintry showers though. So many things have to be in place for them to happen, will considet myself to have had lady luck with me this last week

Edited by Aceman

Posted

I can see the Chilterns from my house, and the particular hill i can see is about 240 meters and there was still a good covering of snow on there at 1pm, I would imagine there is still snow left up there now.

Posted

It's eased off here now with slushiness on the roads and cars/grass with a thin covering.

The main issue will be ice later and the main interest was a 2.1c temperature drop in about 20 minutes!