Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - 12th December 2011 Onwards Part 2

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Getting very blustery here now.

Very wet outside, however i feel this is only the start.

Barometer 987.5 mb Falling very rapidly -2.7 mb/hr

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

Blowing a hoolie here just a mile in from the coast, dog in right state and hiding behind me on the settee! Just had a huge gust so I'm waiting to see the next max gusts from Portland.

Posted

wind is starting to get quite gusty now, its blowing up a fair bit. when are the winds menat to peak?

its dry though after the showers of an hour or so ago

Posted

Don't forget the Plymouth sea area for which the shipping forecast is for, goes down to the French Coast and out to the Scillies. The winds reported are taken from Plymouth Roborough, which is approx 4 miles from the coast, in the North part of the City. If you look at a map, you'll see I'm right on the coast (my postcode is PL9 0BS) so we'll be getting the direct force compared to Roborough.

Phill, you are quite correct about the difference even 4 miles inlnad compared to the coast. I am half a mile from the seafront but even that makes quite a difference to the force of the wind. Right on the front is pretty gusty just now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Not sure if the intense or torrential part has reached Newbury yet as can't see the radar as on iPhone. I think this is the moderate bit and the torrential ain't due til later. It is pretty moderate here now and some good pouring going on . Sone gusts. Increasing though in regularity. M4 was interesting to drive on and the message signs are up warning of strong winds. Never seen that before so far in land. Goodness knows what you on the south coasts are getting now. Stay safe. Pb x

I am in Brighton but not directly on sea front (oh how I would love to be down there to watch the waves right now though) - my door is banging here, you can hear the wind and the trees are swaying but nothing too major yet :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

hey gtltw. Just got out of the car at Newbury racecourse bit and there is a definate whistle to some gusts. Have we more to come?

Sorry am on iPhone so checking ability limited! pb x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

just got back from the greek island of tescos, wind is really picking up now. strangely though, the south east corner rain shield seems to be on full power and holding..... for now....

Yep, looks like there is an umbrella over the SE

Posted

I am in Brighton but not directly on sea front (oh how I would love to be down there to watch the waves right now though) - my door is banging here, you can hear the wind and the trees are swaying but nothing too major yet :)

go down to the pub on the pier! if you dare...

Posted

Blowing a hoolie here just a mile in from the coast, dog in right state and hiding behind me on the settee! Just had a huge gust so I'm waiting to see the next max gusts from Portland.

Hi, where about are you, I'm in Poole, and sure have plenty of rain here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Very windy here gusts touching near 60mph.

Posted

Alpine glow. Hey I bet especially Brighton. I will be there Friday so maybe I will a chance to see that see... Fron the safety of a bar naturally as I suspect it maybe a little rough. Keep up letting us know how things go. Pb

Posted

Wowzer. :clapping: T'was only just over 3 hours since I posted that :acute: and the AT is now 7.5c (up 1.6c), DP 6.9c (up 2.5c) and Barometer reading of 996.0hpa (down 6.8hpa) falling rapidly. Rainfall started at approx. 17.30 and I have received 3.8mm thus far. 24mph maximum gust at 19:20.

More reports please?

Many hours of rainfall to come yet and I think the CF will be waking a few people up from their beds.

gottolovethisweather

My report

Pressure: 992.1mb falling very fast at 2.3mb/hr, Temp: 9.1c Dp 8.0, Wind: sustained 15.2 gusting 30.4, Rain 5.4mm at a rate 3.6mm\hr.

Posted

Electric is starting to flicker here now.

Oh! I hope mine doesn't go out as my laptop battery is not in good condition. Should it really be removed from the laptop if I am using mains power?

Posted

Try the fortune of war under the arches? ....;( seriously though best you stay put.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Double dare :p

Seriously though, it is quite gusty now and I am set back a bit, i'm north Brighton, near ditchling. I feel like I am missing out on some good stuff! I wish I had some nice fields to look out on with trees or the beach instead of houses! I think the most excitement I am going to get in my location is a wayward wheelie bin!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Must be pretty rough down Heybrook bay!

Tamar Bridge reports:

Plymouth (Westbound): High Winds - Vehicle Restrictions in place

Saltash (Eastbound): High Winds - Vehicle Restrictions in place

Updated: 12 December 11 19:41

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Plymouth Roborough up to 46mph and gust of 61mph. I think its peaked here now.

Posted

Hey just noticed all that we have usual suspects from the central southern regional discussion thread back together. Good to see you all. ;) x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Well Jane we moved here in 2009 and this is the worst storm we can remember. It was bad in November 2009, but this is worse than that!

It was reported on BBC Spotlight of problems on the Tamar Bridge. I must try and listen to Radio Devon for traffic news!

Edited by philglossop

Posted

just got back from the greek island of tescos, wind is really picking up now. strangely though, the south east corner rain shield seems to be on full power and holding..... for now....

Same here, the rain has just been flirting with Bognor for hours now and is only just begining as light rain. the winds however have been stronger than forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

Hi, where about are you, I'm in Poole, and sure have plenty of rain here.

I'm between Weymouth and Bridport. The wind has definitely picked up in the last hour and we're having some serious gusts now.

Posted

Anybody know where I can see a list of local weather stations, I know of a few, but I don't think they are correct.

Yes some on here RainGauges live for weather data live accross the uk

Buoys for pressure and windspeed at North Atlantic Buoys

In South wales the rain has pretty relentless since around 16z and winds gusting quite strongly in last half hour.

Edited by pyrotech