Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - 12th December 2011 Onwards Part 2

Coast

Posted

How interesting. I have never known the Met Office to do that before. Mind you I usually get sent "Cats doing stupid things" lol

Posted

Sea Level networks (real-time) should be interesting viewing for later on. Portsmouth, Newhaven and Dover especially given the logistical 'interests' in those areas. Dungeness especially so. http://www.pol.ac.uk/ntslf/networks.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

so whats up with the Meto? have they issued an amber warning or not?

I spoke to them not long ago, they've said there are no amber warnings in force at the moment, but they are monitoring the situation carefully.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Here's the 21st OWS take on the latest MetO information, it just backs up all the others from what I can see:

21OWS_EUROPE_MODEL-DATA_UKMO-GLOBAL_WIND-MWA_SFC_24_00Z.png

They also have a shed load of advisory's out for all the USAF airbases in the UK:

http://ows.public.se...cfm?section=WWA

Typically Lakenheath gets:

within hrs

Weather Watch 12-001 for Lakenheath (EGUL) Valid 12/2100Z to 13/0200Z

Potential for Severe Winds greater than or equal to 45 kts. forecast value 45 kts.

Winds will be from the south

Posted

I spoke to them not ong ago, they've said there are no amber warnings in force at the moment, but they are monitoring the situation carefully.

ok, thanks for that :good:

Posted

Sea Level networks (real-time) should be interesting viewing for later on. Portsmouth, Newhaven and Dover especially given the logistical 'interests' in those areas. Dungeness especially so. http://www.pol.ac.uk...f/networks.html

Here's another place to monitor live coastal sea conditions:

http://www.channelco...me_data/charts/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme - anything but dull and dreary. The snowier the better.

ooooh. Big winds, incoming. Starting to get some big gusts now.

I don't have an anemometer, but I can see some pretty big trees starting to bend outside and the howling is getting louder, even through mostly soundproof walls.

Posted

Oh the Daily Express, don't you just love em?

Yes, one day they will run out of hyperbole, worst in 30 years is some laugh, all the way to the new year too. In the states this would mean getting the shotgun out and down to the store to stock up,

http://www.express.c...ms-on-their-way

0002.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Latest video broadcast from the MetO.

A lot of possible outcomes it seems.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Thanks Coast, I got family on Hayling Island so no doubt if anything happens down there tonight or any other time it'll be relayed this way (probobally even before the gauges show the rise.) Interesting to find out Dungeness only escaped flooding during the '87 storm due to low tide. Again that part of the south is particularly low-lying and given its defenses are only made of huge mounds of pebbles, could easily be breached.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Just came across this http://www.youtube.c...KKocsW_uBXY]Met

Edit: Its a video made by the Met Office Senior forecaster talking about this week

Whoops sorry Rich, now its posted twice. :rofl:;)

I do like this even more professional stance from them, three cheers to the MetO.

gottolovethisweather

PS latest conditions here. 5.9c AT (progressively getting colder) 4.4c Dp (steady so far) 1002.8hpa, so starting to bomb IMHO. :good:

Posted

Coast question here :sorry: am i led to believe that the latest track of the storm system is now over france and the southern half of the uk?

Must admit that is quite a movement now is it not from what was forecast yesterday. Confused and a touch concerned as a storm of the 87 magnitude would be something else. This is not scare mongering just general concern that this could get quite bad

Posted

GFS 12Z has teh storm over France. Barely a breeze over most of the UK! Snow possible though as a result of the more southerly track.

Posted

How interesting. I have never known the Met Office to do that before. Mind you I usually get sent "Cats doing stupid things" lol

Received a few recently via email. Perhaps Paul/Stewart et. al could also jump on the bandwagon or is that not allowed? By this I mean, even more regularly than NW already does so. :good:

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Starting to get windy in the SW now:

post-6667-0-62987900-1323706570.jpg

http://magicseaweed.com/METARStationHome.php?region=1

I was looking for swell charts and found that particular live data feed. Also have these charts:

Their wind chart agrees with earlier forecasts and highlights that area off Essex later. Don't go out on Southend pier tonight!

post-6667-0-77465200-1323706788.jpg

Swell (why I went here in the first place!) doesn't look too bad in the Channel but builds in the Atlantic on the Irish coasts:

post-6667-0-10654600-1323707019.jpg

post-6667-0-73514000-1323707045.jpg

post-6667-0-62987900-1323706570_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-77465200-1323706788_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-10654600-1323707019_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-73514000-1323707045_thumb.jp

Posted

Coast question here :sorry: am i led to believe that the latest track of the storm system is now over france and the southern half of the uk?

For tonight? Still most of the country with high winds and gusts, highest gusts up along the Channel and in Scotland I guess. Friday's potential event is moving about but I haven't really looked at anything for that and won't until early Thursday probably.

But I'm only going off those charts dotted around the interweb!

Posted

Weather in Manchester started to loud over at 2pm after a cold but sunny still morning, Trees started to move around 3pm and now getting gusty outside and temp is 6.3 with 983mb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

Oh the Daily Express, don't you just love em?

http://www.express.c...ms-on-their-way

0002.gif

Just had to quickly reply to this while doing the tea, my local paper know I am a total weather geek and I have been in a few times spouting off about the weather, and the last time they rang me was to ask what winter had in store, specifically would we have snow etc, and despite me explaining how hard it was to pinpoint snow so far in advance they were really pushing me to give an armageddon forecast. I think all media have the same point of view, hype it up, tell us were all going to die etc, then when it doesnt quite happen that way blame the met etc.

Apologies for being completely off topic, but it always makes me chuckle when I see the papers, especially the DM giving it large with the scary headlines :)