Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - 12th December 2011 Onwards Part 2

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything not grey and damp

Still raining, but it feels like the wind is easing off now. Been gusting into the low fifties(mph) from about 3pm-6pm, maxed out at 54mph at around 5.30pm. Its now in the low thirties. The wind has also shifted from south to south west. Pressure looks like it is stabilising, been droping about 2-3 mbar per hour since lunchtime, 986.6mbar now. Temp is 11C.

Looks like that'll be the worst of it here till tomorrow. Wind might start picking up in the early hours of the morning.

Edited by Treiagonaut

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme and settled according to my mood and time of year!

A boy sorry. Those red round ball shaped things that bob about in the water they carry computer data on them I think that it sent back to MetO and ships out at sea.

Yes that's it a bouy, finally I know the spelling lol :)

That' s not a buoy,.....This is a buoy! B)

post-11762-0-13730500-1323716171_thumb.j

Posted

Running at 56.4mph gust and sustained winds of 38mph in Poole harbour.

997mb dropping 2mb/hr

Nice to hear from further west of here as I can get a feel for what is to come. A bit concerned about the Torro warning as around the I.O.W and East of the IOW is a high tornado risk area because of the way the winds come around the island. This does seem to be the sort of very gusty weather that spawns tornados.

I can already hear a light of lighter things blowing around and my eucalyptus tree is bending well.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

That' s not a buoy,.....This is a buoy! B)

Was doing some deep water fishing during the summer.

The only thing to keep me company was one like this. ( It had a nice bell on it also )

Was quiet eerie.... Ding..... Ding ...... Ding....

( Would not want to be out there now. )

Edited by Lynxus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Met Office saying sustained winds of 36mph with a gust at 57mph for Plymouth. That was at 1800hrs. Its got a lot worse in the last hour here.

Edited by philglossop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Okies, enough of about the Buoys Lol... :winky: It's starting to get worst here now! I wonder what early hours will bring I believe this is when the wind really gets going! :help:

Posted

Nice to hear from further west of here as I can get a feel for what is to come. A bit concerned about the Torro warning as around the I.O.W and East of the IOW is a high tornado risk area because of the way the winds come around the island. This does seem to be the sort of very gusty weather that spawns tornados.

I can already hear a light of lighter things blowing around and my eucalyptus tree is bending well.

Now peaked at 57.6mph an 44.6mph sustained

Posted

Met Office saying sustained winds of 36mph with a gust at 57mph for Plymouth. That was at 1800hrs. Its got a lot worse in the last hour here.

That sounds a bit daft to me as on their gale warning page they have Force 8 gale to Storm 10 for Plymouth. Always go with the shipping forecast so much more reliable, it has to be when peoples live are involved.

Edit, Kent Snow said "The Wind over the past hour has picked up. Few spots of rain in the air. Lots to come from looking at the radar!"

definitely plenty to come and it is currently progged for the south Kent coast to get the highest winds, so keep safe.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

That sounds a bit daft to me as on their gale warning page they have Force 8 gale to Storm 10 for Plymouth. Always go with the shipping forecast so much more reliable, it has to be when peoples live are involved.

Edit, Kent Snow said "The Wind over the past hour has picked up. Few spots of rain in the air. Lots to come from looking at the radar!"

definitely plenty to come and it is currently progged for the south Kent coast to get the highest winds, so keep safe.

Don't forget the Plymouth sea area for which the shipping forecast is for, goes down to the French Coast and out to the Scillies. The winds reported are taken from Plymouth Roborough, which is approx 4 miles from the coast, in the North part of the City. If you look at a map, you'll see I'm right on the coast (my postcode is PL9 0BS) so we'll be getting the direct force compared to Roborough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Getting really windy here now.What would happen if the pressure dropped to 900 mb

EDIT:

HAng on, Just read this again.. 900!!!!!!!!!!?

U sure?

Its 989 here and i dont expect it to fall much more..

900 would be silly....

900 would be a bad thing.

Edited by Lynxus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Non Destructive Near My House

Ive never seen the forecasts/warnings in such a mess.

As things stand on the met office website we (Ayrshire) will have the highest windspeeds and gusts in the UK for storm 1 tomorrow afternoon and evening .. BUT .. we dont even have a yellow warning for wind whilst all of the west of the UK south of us from Cumbria to Lands End and up to Kent does???

Posted

Getting really windy here now.What would happen if the pressure dropped to 900 mb

It won't.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Not sure if the intense or torrential part has reached Newbury yet as can't see the radar as on iPhone. I think this is the moderate bit and the torrential ain't due til later. It is pretty moderate here now and some good pouring going on . Sone gusts. Increasing though in regularity. M4 was interesting to drive on and the message signs are up warning of strong winds. Never seen that before so far in land. Goodness knows what you on the south coasts are getting now. Stay safe. Pb x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

PS latest conditions here. 5.9c AT (progressively getting colder) 4.4c Dp (steady so far) 1002.8hpa, so starting to bomb IMHO. :good:

Wowzer. :clapping: T'was only just over 3 hours since I posted that :acute: and the AT is now 7.5c (up 1.6c), DP 6.9c (up 2.5c) and Barometer reading of 996.0hpa (down 6.8hpa) falling rapidly. Rainfall started at approx. 17.30 and I have received 3.8mm thus far. 24mph maximum gust at 19:20.

More reports please?

Many hours of rainfall to come yet and I think the CF will be waking a few people up from their beds.

gottolovethisweather

Posted

just got back from the greek island of tescos, wind is really picking up now. strangely though, the south east corner rain shield seems to be on full power and holding..... for now....