Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - 12th December 2011 Onwards Part 2

Coast

Posted

Chimet showing F7 with F8 gusts ands trend is upwards

Winds now starting to be apparent outside but no ferry cancellations just yet

Hi Chief Wiggam, Chimet now gone up to F8 gusting F9 so this is moving in pretty quickly as your post was just 8 minutes ago.

Edit, Ah you beat me to it while I was writing. I am a bit on the slower side these days but will always love a storm. Let it blow, let it blow, let it blow!

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Getting pretty windy here now, the real wind happens tomorrow as the depression moves over Scotland with severe gales on it's southern flank 70-80mph gusts, at least my slates are back on from Thursday.

Posted

Thanks for the replies. I find it fascinating that as close as 72 hrs away we essentially still have 3 potential outcomes from the so called most reliable of the models. Will be interesting to see what finally happens.

Posted

The MetO certainly dont seem much more sure of what's going to happen then they did back then lol :) Their models actually picked up the 1987 storm beautifully about a week in advance and the runs where spot on, yet for some reason they lost data in the days leading upto the storm I think it had something to do with Boyd's out at sea which weather stations relyed on alot back then for data comming in from shipping forecasts! So they took a wild stab in the dark the day before it hit and said not to worry there wont be a storm/hurricane! WHOOPS :blush: :oops:

What's a "Boyd"?

Posted

Been looking forward to tonight and maybe Friday but that's still up in the air at the moment.

Will be reporting conditions from my location through the evening, I'm a little sheltered and about 10 miles inland from the South coast but will hopefully get some interesting readings.

currently: pressure 996.2mb falling fast, temp 9.0c steady, dp 7.7, rain 2.1mm moderate, wind 13.0mph average 27.3 gust

Posted

What's a "Boyd"?

Haha, Urban slang has an answer. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=boyd&defid=3852514 :nea:

Actually knightrider obviously meant a bouy seeing he is talking about them being out at sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

What's a "Boyd"?

A boy sorry. Those red round ball shaped things that bob about in the water they carry computer data on them I think that it sent back to MetO and ships out at sea.

Haha, Urban slang has an answer. http://www.urbandict...d&defid=3852514 :nea:

Actually knightrider obviously meant a bouy seeing he is talking about them being out at sea.

Yes that's it a bouy, finally I know the spelling lol :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Meto removed Tuesdays wind warning for Cumbria but recent updates still predict gusts of 70-75mph for my town Tuesday evening, odd?

Meanwhile the Meto sound confident this storm will happen, NW England Forecast from them below

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Windy with more wintry showers Wednesday. Bright and frosty at first Thursday but becoming exceptionally windy with heavy rain overnight into Friday. Staying very windy Friday with wintry showers.

Updated: 1459 on Mon 12 Dec 2011

For the NE:

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Wednesday stays cold and windy with wintry showers. After a promising start Thursday, with lighter winds and some sunshine, heavy rain and severe gales return for Thursday night and Friday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

What's a "Boyd"?

Stop nit picking he clearly means boye :good::rofl:

Edited by Paul-Michael

Posted

Getting windy here now, looks like a lot more rain taht I expected is on it's way.

Also, a few (!) flakes are falling too, thoguht it would be too warm for that at all :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme - anything but dull and dreary. The snowier the better.

No, that's exactly what they shouldn't do!

Need more runs, more info, more accuracy. It isn't like us on here guessing what outcomes would be and just walking away from the forum. This is a government organisation who will be looked at to give national advice on a potentially serious event - no guessing or wrong calling, they must be assured of what is coming and won't know until right up to the last few hours.

Very well put.

The MetO aren't enthusiasts, they're professionals. And they're paid to give accurate forecasts which is impossible at this point in time.

The reason so much of the country is covered with a yellow warning is that it's better to have people prepared for the worst, and have nothing happen, than it is to have nobody prepared and the weather brings devastation.

Posted

A boy sorry. Those red round ball shaped things that bob about in the water they carry computer data on them I think that it sent back to MetO and ships out at sea.

Yes that's it a bouy, finally I know the spelling lol :)

Not sure but think it comes from french boué ( it looks like old french spelling)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Windy and torrentral rain out there at the moment. hideous rush hour traffic! Lots of rain on radar moving in still to. theres been a mention of possible sleet/snow showers tomorrow, even to lower levels for a time in the gusty winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Since tonight's storm has downgraded in the last 24hrs to a bit breezy with lots of rain and the yellow warning no longer covers London, I'm not holding my breath for a biggy on Friday unless it is still there 24hrs before. Hatches have been battened here but maybe a bit prematurely - won't stop me avidly watching the forums tho :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Ecm out till 72h seems to of split friday storm in 3 doesnt look anything nasty at the mo

hmm wouldnt read too much into the ECM - see what they all say.

PB

Posted

Someone is going to have egg on their faces on Friday. If the Met keep on with Friday's storm when the others are backing away then i would expect the Met Office to reflect this in their next update.

Mind you - they have been on their own before and been proved correct!

I think your barometer might be slightly out??!

i'm at 993

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Has been quiet here until about 10 minutes ago when there was one loud howling gust,

Still no rain, although looking at the radar it'll be any minute.