Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Spring 2012

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

my area prone to cheshire Gap, very cloudy even the odd spot of drizzle, NW winds, always miserable for cheshire gap area

Meanwhile a much sunnier and warmer picture down here today. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

Well yesterday was cloudy over here all day! Sunny today though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Perfect walking weather in the NW of the Peak District, good to be out!

Where are these clouds you speak of? I am sat in Leeds looking at a blue sky with temperature of 13C

They are above my head now for most of the midlands and the Southeast.

I'm sure summer blizzard and gavin d are feeling silly now criticising my posts where i said it will be a cloudy high, next time instead of letting your preferences cloud your judgement, try and judge it in an unbiased manner, even the pro's(BBC/UKMO) are coming into line with my thoughts from last week, go and email them and criticise them that they are wrong and its a beautiful sunny high dawn to dusk why dont you and see what kind of reply you get if any.

Edited by Eugene

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

But it's not cloudy for everyone, and yesterday it was sunny virtually everywhere except the north west.

Yesterday here had 10.4 hours of sunshine, the month so far has 56.1, averaging 5.1 hours a day, with only 2 sunless days. If this theme continues, we will reach 158 hours of sun by months end!

I type this under sunny skies by the way.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

They are above my head now for most of the midlands and the Southeast.

I'm sure summer blizzard and gavin d are feeling silly now criticising my posts where i said it will be a cloudy high, next time instead of letting your preferences cloud your judgement, try and judge it in an unbiased manner, even the pro's(BBC/UKMO) are coming into line with my thoughts from last week, go and email them and criticise them that they are wrong and its a beautiful sunny high dawn to dusk why dont you and see what kind of reply you get if any.

If you read my earlier posts then you see that i did not discount the possibility of cloud or even fog mainly in the north and west however your posts make it sound like a cloudy high when in reality the majority of England (you may well be an exception) is enjoying largely cloudless skies.

In this case the BBC/Met are wrong as is evidenced by the very low maxima they are predicting compared to what has occurred yesterday and today.

It was not a criticism of your post, i was illustrating that for large parts of the UK, yesterday was fantastic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Today is proving cloudier than yesterday, taking the country as a whole- the likelihood of more cloud wasn't really picked up until yesterday evening. Cleadon is currently quite cloudy now, though there are some sunny intervals about. However some areas of the country are still clear and sunny.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I think there's a fair bit of moisture trapped in this high but I wouldn't quite call it a cloudy high. The still fairly weak early March sun is capable of burning it off as it did here by 12:30.

It isn't a clear-cold-frosty high but more a mild and a little moist high. With little wind the sun is able to burn the cloud away starting with central areas furthest away from the coast.

Here temperatures fell uniformly until 0530 when they rose no doubt after the cloud arrived. That's pretty late in the night showing to me that it is a very slow drift in from the coast rather than a completely cloud laden high.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

From 10am till 2pm (bulk of the day), it was very pleasant with a lot of sunshine around, now however it has turned a little cloudier- still, another lovely day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Once again another cracking day in the north east wall to wall sun for the 2nd day running now

Posted

The cloud didn't clear here until about 2pm, quite disappointing really but it's lovely now. Not as warm as expected though at only 11C. Hopefully this clear sky will last into tomorrow for the start of the Cheltenham Festival.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Lovely sunny day here, started of cloudy but by 11:30am it was sunny and warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Fairly sunny today, but not as sunny as yesterday, and the temperatures have been lower at 9-12°C across the NE. Tuesday and Wednesday should be pretty warm though, and I wouldn't be surprised to see 15-18°C widely in the NE. The GFS is predicting maximum temperatures of 2-3°C in parts of Northern England on Sunday - surprised nobody has picked this up as this is quite a switch!

Edited by Alza 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Typical comments by non-weather types from places in the country where it's been cloudy (i.e Lincoln, Shropshire and most of Scotland)

Here it's been lovely and warm, unbroken sunshine virtually all day. Monthly sunshine hours now up to 64.4 hours

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Typical comments by non-weather types from places in the country where it's been cloudy (i.e Lincoln, Shropshire and most of Scotland)

Here it's been lovely and warm, unbroken sunshine virtually all day. Monthly sunshine hours now up to 64.4 hours

Felt very cold today max 9c felt like 5c .......50% country had no sun today and the contrast between those that had the sun and those that didnt temp wise very noticable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think there's a fair bit of moisture trapped in this high but I wouldn't quite call it a cloudy high. The still fairly weak early March sun is capable of burning it off as it did here by 12:30.

It isn't a clear-cold-frosty high but more a mild and a little moist high. With little wind the sun is able to burn the cloud away starting with central areas furthest away from the coast.

Here temperatures fell uniformly until 0530 when they rose no doubt after the cloud arrived. That's pretty late in the night showing to me that it is a very slow drift in from the coast rather than a completely cloud laden high.

I'd call it one of those "sunshine is variable rather than plentiful" highs (a phrase that Philip Eden often uses in his monthly summaries). In such anticyclones most areas have a mix of sunny and cloudy days, with some areas of the country having more sunny days than others depending on the luck of the draw.

I think of "cloudy" highs as being ones where we have an extensive cloud sheet and a large majority of us end up chasing holes in the cloud cover. I remember an anticyclonic spell during the third week of March 1998 when many places struggled to see any sunshine at all during the entire week- that's a genuinely cloudy high.

Posted

Very cloudy here, the last 3 days have been increasing in cloudiness and today has been very cloudy, not a glimpse of sun at all.

Yep, same here. It's progressively gone from unbroken sunshine to completely overcast over the course of the past week. This high just got dirty.

Posted

I must admit that I didn't foresee the increase in cloud cover today, but the relatively weak early-March sun isn't very effective at punching holes in a cloud sheet, and in fairness we have had an unusual frequency of "sunny" highs during recent Marches (the 2003 one was particularly exceptional for this).

Even into April, high pressure doesn't always translate to much sunshine (I remember a lot of gloomy weather in the north during April 1997 for instance, though it was sunny towards the SE), it is really when we get into May/June that a high will usually give plenty of sunshine unless accompanied by a steady supply off moisture off the Atlantic or North Sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.

Maybe somebody should start a "moaning about spring" thread !

Haven't had a sniff of sunshine for a week now.

Notice the BBC isn't forecasting anything cold in it's monthly outlook.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Quite clear (or cloudy) that the sooner this high can do one, the better. I'm looking forward to the unsettled blip at the weekend.

Posted

It's certainly proving to be a cloudy high today with very few holes in the cloud sheet according to the latest Met Office satellite images. I think that the BBC/MetO's cloudy-looking forecasts for today may well prove very close to the mark!

Looks a lovely and warm high doesnt it for today, reality is so much different.

http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rtavn122.png

Like i said last week an inversion set up at the surface, check out dewpoints pretty chilly even in afternoon.

http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn1210.png

Good to see some have learnt their lesson as in MD you will notice not much mention of warmth even though models are starting to firm up on another anticyclonic spell from next tuesday.

Good news as HP loses its grip, the breeze will pick up from the southwest and with some mixing involved it could get quite warm on thursday with more sunshine hopefully, not guaranteeing anything though.

Edited by Eugene

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

It cleared here at similar time to yesterday - around lunchtime. But its stayed hazy but sunny rather than clear and sunny like Monday.

Definitely in the favoured spot here as it seems to be breaking up centrally first.

Does feel cooler this afternoon than of late.

Once again in the midst of a drought what little rain we are getting is going to roll in at the weekend - just when its least wanted as I have outdoor stuff to get on with! Still, we need it so no matter.