Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion Thread - Part 2

Posted

It does look like coastal western areas will see the snow turn to rain, and cold air gradually displaced. Further east though the cold air hanging on. This could be a very interesting period, and one of my great interests in weather, large geographical variability!

.......Talk about geographical variability....what about this morning on here-Gareth73 reported +4.5C in Manchester at 5.00am, Mr Data reported a bone chilling -7.0C in Irlam just 2 hours later.

Edited by martinj2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

.......Talk about geographical variability....what about this morning on here-Gareth73 reported +4.5C in Manchester at 5.00am, Mr Data reported -7.0C in Irlam just 2 hours later.

I think his weather station must have missed the minus off that figure......either that or it was from a very dodgy car thermometer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Hahaha yep......this is the point I'm trying to make, people think I'm negative but I just know what Crewe is like.

Really hoping for work up Manchester way so I can move to the Pennine foothills.....somewhere like Marple/Glossop would suit me quite well, or alternatively up Oldham way.

Almost right ,matey.......Crewe is a dump and you are negative :w00t:

Posted

It does look like coastal western areas will see the snow turn to rain, and cold air gradually displaced. Further east though the cold air hanging on. This could be a very interesting period, and one of my great interests in weather, large geographical variability!

I live up at 1000ft and I can leave my house with thick snow and drive 1/2 mile down the valley towards Rawtenstall and it can all be either gone or much thinner, by the time I get to Rawtenstall which is 5 miles and 500ft down hill there can be nothing at all. At the moment we still have snow lying from last Friday night.

Posted

Almost right ,matey.......Crewe is a dump and you are negative :w00t:

Crewe is a dump.....and I prefer the term 'realist' lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Hahaha yep......this is the point I'm trying to make, people think I'm negative but I just know what Crewe is like.

Really hoping for work up Manchester way so I can move to the Pennine foothills.....somewhere like Marple/Glossop would suit me quite well, or alternatively up Oldham way.

If you come up Oldham way, it's better near Saddleworth, stay away from Oldham itself it's a dump LOL

Posted

If you come up Oldham way, it's better near Saddleworth, stay away from Oldham itself it's a dump LOL

From one dump to another.....certainly not what I intend :p

Really depends on what work I can find upon graduating.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Bbc weather headline was "cold air wins" for all england

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

But im not that convinced there is still 2days

Posted

Met warnings say it's likely for snow to turn to rain later on Saturday however there likely always seems more like a maybe, so let's hope that changes

alls I can say for the BBC headline is nothing has won until the end of it and there are no winners!

Edited by chiffer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

i am a proper jinx when it comes to snow, im thinking myself of upgrading again next year, higher altitude and further east, maybe towards Huddersfield but i like Buxton as a town or i could just stay here but go higher. A really good place is somewhere in NE Derbyshire near sheffield on the Snake pass although limited habitation so it may not be easy to find somewhere thats available.

Posted

Just caught the beeb weather forecast. Showed the nw getting plenty of snow this weekend. Thought all the action was going to be to the East?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The Meto warning looks like they expect the front to stall further west?

2.1c here.

Posted

Just caught the beeb weather forecast. Showed the nw getting plenty of snow this weekend. Thought all the action was going to be to the East?

Yes, but at the minute it's shown to turn to rin fairly quickly......a 50-100 mile shift west would be absolutely ideal as we'd keep the heaviest precipitation and keep it mainly as snow.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

On Look North she just said 5cm of snow on low ground during Saturday with more on the hills.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

For Cumbria it starts as snow then sleet and rain, as the snow seems to stall abit to my east on the national forecast, but the headline was cold air wins with the mild air getting into Ireland western Scotland, western wales and the south west.

On the local forecast she has a max of 4c tomorrow for Cumbria with a wintry mix crossing the area on Saturday lol

Posted

Also, I wouldn't get too hung up on the BBC northwest forecasts... in general I think the NW forecasters are terrible....generally presenters rather than actual forecasters. I either get my ears blasted off by Eno Eruotor (not too sure she actually knows what weather is), told cold and snow is bad by Dianne Oxberry or get the feeling the cleaner has been placed in a suit and forced on TV with Heather Stott. That may be harsh (I'm not one to mince my words, but IMO true)

They may aswell just run the visual graphics through silently and let us make our own minds up.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Getting cloudier and cloudier here, i wonder.

noticed the same mate. certainly building to the east anyway

Posted

Around 10 of the GEFS ensembles have the ppn falling as snow and much further west than the op run by +60hours. A few also have a better angle on the front aligning it more north to south instead of north east to south west.