Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (cymru) - Regional Weather Discussion (part 4)

Posted

Light rain/graupel mix with a few flakes of snow in there too. Temp down slightly at 0.4c

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I just woke up, 1c DP -1c DRIZZLE by the looks of things...

Meh.

Most of this mornings snow has thawed as well,

Lazy! I'm surprised you sound surprised

Amazing how Swansea is getting snow compared with how mild Pembrokeshire is just 30 miles away!

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: eira mawr yn y gaeaf, braf yn y haf

light covering all over the ground but small powdery flakes and snowing quite lightly. Needs to ramp up a bit if we're going to get anything worth having . . . :clapping:

Posted

Met Office warnings updated... am now in the amber warning area!

Right on queue it's turning more to snow, temp down slightly again at 0.3c

Edited by nwales

Posted

Amazing how Swansea is getting snow compared with how mild Pembrokeshire is just 30 miles away!

Hmm- tell me about it.. :sorry:

Edited by benb

Posted

Absolutely throwing it down with snow here in chilly Pontypridd - roads/pavements/grass everything covered!

starting to get more sleety here andy but there again we are lower down than you. :(

Posted

The thickness is right for Snow in a line running diagonally, Swansea - Brecon. This seems to stay roughly in that area till about 2pm where it moves Eastwards clearing all areas of Wales by about 6pm. We are very much in an area of marginable snow.That is why elevation is making less difference today. I have seen the Cold air become stubborn in this senario but i think its unlikely for us. That looks likely for the South East England.

next week the thickness is perfect all over Wales and 850mb temps sub -5 so with any percipitation from middle of next week it should be snow.

So today its transitional i am afraid and the action will be further East, Next week the cold returns with perfect conditions, but we need percipitation.

Everything is in place so i would say be very unlikely not to see some snow next week, today its East wales for a time.

Evaporative cooling might help some today as the main band moves in, next few hours may become quite interesting

Edited by pyrotech

Posted

Still freezing rain here, an ice covering on most surfaces now. I'm almost more interested in this than snow (at least that's what I'm kidding myself :rofl: ) as I think this is only the second time in my life I've seen proper freezing rain like this (the other was Jan 1996 when I lived in Monmouthshire).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

Still snowing here in Cardiff, light dusting and a temperature of 0.7C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe disruptive snow or any other severe weather!

The thickness is right for Snow in a line running diagonally, Swansea - Brecon. This seems to stay roughly in that area till about 2pm where it moves Eastwards clearing all areas of Wales by about 6pm. We are very much in an area of marginable snow.That is why elevation is making less difference today. I have seen the Cold air become stubborn in this senario but i think its unlikely for us. That looks likely for the South East England.

next week the thickness is perfect all over Wales and 850mb temps sub -5 so with any percipitation from middle of next week it should be snow.

So today its transitional i am afraid and the action will be further East, Next week the cold returns with perfect conditions, but we need percipitation.

Everything is in place so i would say be very unlikely not to see some snow next week, today its East wales for a time.

Evaporative cooling might help some today as the main band moves in, next few hours may become quite interesting

im sure ive heard this before perfect conditions and no ppn. Hmm then not perfect conditions and loads of ppn!

Posted

Ravenhill swansea started off light but has gotten a bit heavier.Been snowing for about an hour but i dont think that it will come to more than just a dusting as it is just not thick enough amount to much.

Posted

im sure ive heard this before perfect conditions and no ppn. Hmm then not perfect conditions and loads of ppn!

Yes well its the cold we struggle to get in this Country, not the percipitation.

So yes we do need it to finish the formula for snow, but you should know that if we get the cold uppers and surface then even if its transitional again the chance of snow is likely. Yes it could be a breakdown of the cold that gives us the snow, but the cold uppers are what we struggle to get here in UK, especially West UK, due to the warm Atlantic.

Too far out to show any shortwaves forming, lets wait, watch and see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Moderate snow here in Bridgend and flakes are getting a bit bigger, currently -0.5C with a dewpoint of -5C

Posted

Take care those of us where it just looks wet out.

As I suspected (and Julian) yesterday, the rain/ sleet is freezing on impact with a layer of glazed ice forming.

Posted

Dont think we could be a better setup for snow come next week with on 2 or 3 occasions fronts approach from the west and stall over wales even could get a rain to snow event tueday wednesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Temp has risen 3c in around hour and a half here, 4.1c rain now! :(