Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & The South East Regional Discussion - Part 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Going to get a pic of my lamp post watch in a min ;) see whos is best ;):p

I have many to check, not only that but I've got a well lit police station to my south, and to my east canary wharf etc I take it I've won lol!

155881_461261918340_735173340_5637949_8258022_n.jpg

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted

After roller coaster weeks(seems like months) on the model output thread, vodka ready, gas/electric topped up, hot chocolate ready, most importantly carrots ready, bed early tonight bring on tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Posted

After i have been up down half the night, walking through the kids bedroombecause they have the lampost.I leave our curtain open a bit in the morning,while itry and get a few winks.Does not last log. Sod it im getting up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

Okay if we're going to get in to this....

There is quite an art to lamp post watching too, particularly when it's very small flakes, I find you have to line up your sight so that the direct light from the lamp post is blocked by, for example, the central pillar of the window frame. This maximises the amount of flakes you can see....Yeaaaah that's right, that's some real science right there.

Some key things to remember with lamp post watching

1) ensure the windows are clean before an event - you don't want all that dirt blocking your view.

2) ensure you have the council's number on stand by just in case the bulb goes, and further to this ensure you have a good reason for an emergency call out for an exchange of the bulb. I find 'how are the birds supposed to see' is a useful one to have up your sleeve

3) consider positioning your bedroom around the view to the lamp post

4) if buying a house, ensure there are ample views of said post

5) try and avoid areas which switch off the lamp posts overnight

If all else fails, tent in the back garden is the only option left. You wouldn't want to miss a flake now

SK

No.1 is Gospel! my Mum God rest her soul taught me well! Windows are sparkly and ready :D

Posted

After roller coaster weeks(seems like months) on the model output thread, vodka ready, gas/electric topped up, hot chocolate ready, most importantly carrots ready, bed early tonight bring on tomorrow!

Posted

Things are clearly changing here, with humidity up to 70%, the highest for several days. Temp -2.5C, DP -8C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun

here's mine lol

post-9214-0-69154000-1328305897_thumb.jp

Edited by wchris_uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

Think a Facebook group is a great idea - and at least now we know we are not alone! I'm still too embarrassed to tell my husband why I rush to the window periodically in winter in the middle of the night - have told him that the foxes are at the bins again...am hoping there will be a lot of 'foxes' around over the next few days/weeks...

Posted

My neighbours have got the council to put a piece of metal over the light to stop some of the light going into there house, not LP watchers or Snow fans, have a good mind to phone up the council and have it removed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

My Camera's not too great here's my view397214_323874867657012_100001035032018_934874_1976391064_n.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun

Think a Facebook group is a great idea - and at least now we know we are not alone! I'm still too embarrassed to tell my husband why I rush to the window periodically in winter in the middle of the night - have told him that the foxes are at the bins again...am hoping there will be a lot of 'foxes' around over the next few days/weeks...

you could ask your neighbor to rip the bin bags for you just to make it look more realistic?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Just before it's due you block out the light with the edge of the window frame just so you can see the first minute flakes lol

Posted

My neighbours have got the council to put a piece of metal over the light to stop some of the light going into there house, not LP watchers or Snow fans, have a good mind to phone up the council and have it removed

Dayglo jacket, ladder, hacksaw.

My work here is finished.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Just before it's due you block out the light with the edge of the window frame just so you can see the first minute flakes lol

Yep! And, sometimes I even do a bit of mobile lampost watching whilst in the car, though instead I use my hand to block out the direct glare

Posted

Hahahaha! My first post of this winter but I'm loving this thread tonight. The LP watching stuff is spot on. I hate the giant lamp post opposite my house all year round UNTIL it snows, and then it is my lifesaver! I hope everyone gets loads of snow but can I please ask that there is a nice clear road between Medway and Heathrow next Friday, so I can go on holiday :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

post-11627-0-91350400-1328306355_thumb.jThis is what it's all about!

How posh are you???