Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & The South East Regional Discussion - Part 6

Posted

oh yes the famed "pub run"

must be true then....................................................................... :rofl::crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

its going to stay very cold through the whole week, so the rain, may be slightly fluffyier and whiter than the normal stuff! lol

It may well be dubbed the 'Pub run' but surely it cannot be entirely discounted as you are suggesting? ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Just had an hour off the forum for some dinner and TV. So pleased with the lamp post watching technique reports. I have a halogen in the back garden and a lamppost out the front. If it is really light grains I have to go out the back and do that thing where the wall obsures the light source and squint. If it's heavier, I can just glance in either direction for a fix. Standing at the front door is also an option, as is lying in bed with the curtains open, albeit a bit chilly. Getting up in the night is common on occasions like this, as is missing a few lamppost opportunities by becoming absorbed in the forums.....

Ramp over - phew!

FB page liked of course:)

Posted

http://www.meteociel...tations/42h.htm

This gives a good guide of the snow depths for the SE after the front goes through...

Ha! Not very...surely if you have a lampost outside, you are too close to the road... ;-)

It's at the end of the drive by the coach house!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm sunny days, tons of snow!

It may well be dubbed the 'Pub run' but surely it cannot be entirely discounted as you are suggesting? ;)

the 18z is massivley over progressive, i wouldn't take much notice of it if i were you, if Mr Murr were here he'd tell you all sorts of tech stuff as to why its a s**t run, 12z is the most reliable from what i can gather, the general concensus is the south east stays in the -10 uppers for the week, maybe even colder, with the prospect of more potential snow, so just relax and enjoy tomorrow :)

Edited by leemondo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Think a Facebook group is a great idea - and at least now we know we are not alone! I'm still too embarrassed to tell my husband why I rush to the window periodically in winter in the middle of the night - have told him that the foxes are at the bins again...am hoping there will be a lot of 'foxes' around over the next few days/weeks...

:rofl:

Why don't you just tell him what you're up to?... you'll have a better relationship and you'll get to know each other better. :doh:

Posted

My wife has being reminding me this week that I have become obsessed about the weather again :) :)

Her grandfather used to note in a journal the time of sunset every day by sundial and then compare with previous years - i hope I do not get to that level haha

Edited by Buzzit

Posted

Snowing a little in Manston! :)

Yeah, it started just as I was pushing that 747 back for departure ... And now we have a white out ... Road, drive and garden all white !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun

snow in Deal small covering,

Posted

Just posted this in the EA thread, thought this might be useful for here too to give you an idea:

Little update from Essex Weather Centre:

Predicted snow totals (CM) from latest Met Office run: Stansted 12, Colchester: 12, Chelmsford 11, Basildon, 10 and Southend 8.

Also note heaviest totals are apparantly modelled for Norfolk and Suffolk - they say it can't be ruled out this backing a little further south with next few model runs

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Meto now have HEAVY SNOW for London 9-12pm :)

It's been that way since 1800, latest update confirms it again. I'll eat my shorts if it's heavy!! Looks likely to be a north of England/east of england event apparently to the latest runs.

Posted

Bloody cold here in London, water main down the road has burst and someone's car is getting splashed... Already looking like an ice sculpture on one side... I'm tempted to go have a look in the morning!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

My wife has being reminding me this week that I have become obsessed about the weather again :) :)

Her grandfather used to note in a journal the time of sunset every day by sundial and then compare with previous years - i hope I do not get to that level haha

Same here. What is it about snow that does this to normally rational people. I've not been able to concentrate properly at work for the last two days!!!! Thank god for the weekend so I can get some proper radar/model watching in.

Posted

So, how do you all lampost watch?

Do you sit at the window staring at the lampost? Or do you get up and look out of the window every 5-10 minutes?

I know this is late for this fast running thread, but I have to open one of my windows to confirm for sure it's snow - and not all the smears and dirt from our Windows :lol:

Posted

Anyone remember Jan 1987? Got sent home from work early, parked the car and didn't move it for a week! Tried to walk up Titsey Hill from Oxted with the intent of poly bagging down the North Downs, but only got as far as the M25 and was in thigh deep drifts. Tatsfield, near Biggin Hill was cut off, the pub ran out of beer and a pregnant woman had to be airlifted to hospital. There was a photo of the bus stop on the ridge totally covered with only the top of the sign sticking out. Drifts must have been 8ft at least!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

All model preciptation forecasts show snow for at least 3 hours if not more for Brighton, but MO still remain unsure and put us under sleet, waking up and looking at new updates on MO will be nervous times but great if they do put us on snow, even then though there is still time for change for better or worse even tommorrow.

Posted

my lampost obsession became out of control last year during the dec snowfalls !

yes i went to homebase and bought one and now have it 5 ft away from my porch door lol

Posted

Well my lamp post watching started in the winter of 62/63, useful tip from that that winter from an old LPW (lamp post watcher)

1. if you have to melt the ice of the inside of a window place it is quicker if you have heated up a penny and place it on the window, ideally heat on the hot water bottle,

2. If your watching the snow fall and you get worried that someone has nicked the lamppost consider the possibility that the snow is higher than the bulb, theres a blizzard raging outside and you cant see it or the bulbs gone.

3. If you can't open the curtains to see your favourite lamppost consider the possibility that the curtains are frozen to the windows, my mum got very upset when holes appeared in her curtains.

4. If you keep being upset by other people rude comments about your nauternal habits, collect the snow off the inside window cell and throw it at them, in my case it was my older brother, (had to share bed or we would have frozen to death). It helps if you keep the snow out of the bed as you both will have a lot of explaining to the next morning bed maker in our case my mum.

5. To maximise the pleasure of lamppost watching, just think about getting into those frozen sheets and you will stay up watching a lot longer or of course until after someone else has warmed the bed for you.

6. Have a better excuse than watching snow flakes falling for the police when they knock on the door asking to talk to the peeping Tom.

Well just a few tips a learnt all them years ago, hope you all get as much pleasure watching the snow fall as I have.

Regards

Kerry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun

lamp post doing its Thing

post-9214-0-40940700-1328308103_thumb.jp