Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire And Lincolnshire Regional Discussion Thread Part 2

pottyprof

Posted

We managed around 9cm of level snow in the end with a little more on the grass and some quite substantial drifts in places due to the powdery nature of the snow. Theres a very slight thaw taking place but the temperature is still pretty supressed at 0.4C.

Posted

Temperature actually dropping here in Scarborough. Now -3.3C! I can sense an ice day if this fog doesn't clear!

I must say I was disappointed last night after almost 4 hours of snow gave hardly anything. It was between 8 and 10pm though when we had the heaviest snow that accumulated nicely!

Iv'e ben for a lovely walk and we have at least 3 inches with significantly more where it's drifted.

Here's a few quick snaps -

post-10637-0-11865800-1328438647_thumb.jpost-10637-0-04664600-1328438675_thumb.jpost-10637-0-57580100-1328438702_thumb.jpost-10637-0-41861500-1328438724_thumb.jpost-10637-0-37444800-1328438745_thumb.jpost-10637-0-76594200-1328438787_thumb.jpost-10637-0-83760400-1328438826_thumb.jpost-10637-0-58654000-1328438855_thumb.jpost-10637-0-59556300-1328438875_thumb.jpost-10637-0-14570900-1328438908_thumb.jpost-10637-0-99509500-1328438929_thumb.jpost-10637-0-96710100-1328438947_thumb.j

Posted

11cms here on the Eastern edge of the Wolds. Over 30cms in drifts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Clearly nowhere near as much as last year (1ft+) for my location. Roughly 6-8 cms here, perhaps 10cms at best where it has drifted.

As for current conditions, the freezing fog lifted about 9.30am, where the sun is overhead the slow painful drip can be heard. :(

Against the backdrop of winters over the last two decades or more this is the second year in a row that we have seen a significant fall. Global warming my a-r-s-e!

My thoughts are now turning to the end of this week and beyond, winds look set to turn back to the east late on followed by a northerly of some kind.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that we will see more snow in the next two weeks, perhaps significantly more - the trend in the models certainly suggests this is possible.

Edited by djrikki

Posted

Sorry, can't resist!

post-10637-0-08954800-1328442866_thumb.j

just taken this now.

That is a fantastic photo Paul. One for this years Christmas cards.... Some good photos coming in throughout the thread. Don't forget you can make your own gallery by clicking my gallery in your profile. :)

Posted

Enjoyed the treacherous drive back from Hillsborough yesterday evening after another win. A few blades on here counting their piggies before they'd hatched after we were 1-0 down. :acute:

Difficult to give an accurate depth of snow here, but around 10cm or so on the grass, though double that on the pavement and less where it had drifted. Seemed like the road through the village was closed as nothing was coming through and no snow plough until midnight, unusually.

Yesterday morning still had a full cover in the valley from Thursday nights fall, but only for a radius of half a mile as nearly all gone from the hills around here, sometimes who needs altitude?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Temps peaked at 5.6c here. Despite that Snow has held on very well even still lying in town. I would have thought it would have gone from low areas by now.

Posted

Still Can't believe we only got 7/8cm here yet about 15 miles east 'Church Fenton' got 15cm! Just goes to show how localised variations in snowfall can be. Temperature around 1/2C here with very little thaw, If we would have got 15cm, the temperature would also be below freezing like church fenton (currently -2C) Not complaining though because a couple of days ago it looked like we might have had rain on the back edge with more rain today so very pleased in all :)

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Still Can't believe we only got 7/8cm here yet about 15 miles east 'Church Fenton' got 15cm! Just goes to show how localised variations in snowfall can be. Temperature around 1/2C here with very little thaw, If we would have got 15cm, the temperature would also be below freezing like church fenton (currently -2C) Not complaining though because a couple of days ago it looked like we might have had rain on the back edge with more rain today so very pleased in all :)

Totally green here so i would be over the moon with 7/8cm :D

Posted

Totally green here so i would be over the moon with 7/8cm :D

Odd in Slaithwaite we did have 3inches, it did look very green over towards Huddersfield though....and last night on the radars i noticed a hole in the precipitation east of me over Huddersfield. Weird!

Edited by disco-barry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and North Easterley flows, Early spring convection snow showers

Managed 3 inches at the other halfs just south of Lincoln off back to discover what occurred back up later maxed down here at 2 degrees

Posted

Well only 2c here today and slight thaw but everywhere still coverd! Underestimated how cold the ground really is!

Posted

Away from the sunny spots most of the snow from last night has remained with very little thaw. Temperatures peaked at around 2 earlier but falling quickly now. Snow depth varies from 3 inch on the paths to 4-8inch on grass depending on the drifts. Great really and hoping the snow cover lasts most of the week, fingers crossed,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yeah and its cloudy here now, perhaps this will lead to dense fog as suggested by Craigers above.

Posted

It has been foggy here all day with very little thaw. The max temp was only 0.8C, so a very cold day. Almost back below freezing so it could freeze tonight and be just as treacherous tomorrow.

Posted

We got 9cm of snow in the end NW Sheffield, It was roughly what i was expecting although it does feel we did quite well going on other posts. There has been a slight thaw today but side roads still covered and now starting to freeze.

Posted

<p>I was in Keighley yesterday. Is it me or this was the only place in west yorks that got virtually nothing? A decent dusting at best is what I saw. Bingley did ok so did Bradford.Edit: just seen the huddersfield posts lol..

Edited by Sunny_AS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

We had nine centimetres last night in the end: this was an average of ten measurements taken in likely spots as there was quite a lot of drifting.

Has lied all day but has melted of rooftops, my greenhouse and cars. Temp got up to 2°C but really snow only meleted when exposed to direct solar radiation.

Temp is now falling away rapidly undr clear skies and is down to -0.6°C so I guess tonight will be another cold one. The question is will the snow last through the mild(ish) period over the next couple of days until it gets colder midweek? My guess is yes but I am not seldom wrong :good: