Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire And Lincolnshire Regional Discussion Thread Part 2

pottyprof

Posted

So close to an ice day. The fog took ages to clear keeping the temp low and keeping most of the snow cover.

Max recorded 0.3C at 14.30.

Now -2.6C

Posted

Still Can't believe we only got 7/8cm here yet about 15 miles east 'Church Fenton' got 15cm! Just goes to show how localised variations in snowfall can be. Temperature around 1/2C here with very little thaw, If we would have got 15cm, the temperature would also be below freezing like church fenton (currently -2C) Not complaining though because a couple of days ago it looked like we might have had rain on the back edge with more rain today so very pleased in all :)

I sometimes work at Church Fenton and the aircraft hangar I work in is the coldest place in Northern Europe. The Met Office instruments are rather exposed on the edge of the airfield! But yes it does seem very localised - my drive home this morning went from quite snowy at Linton to less across Shipton then a bit more at Strensall - very odd! The Strensall Snowshield operator must have been asleep at his post.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Managed about 1-2cm in Barnsley. Virtually all melted now. Very disappointing considering what other areas in Yorkshire received including locations within just a few miles.

Just seen weather foreast on BBC twice in last hour, one following News and the other in Countryfile... In News edition, temp forecast for tonight 0C for our region... In Countryfile edition, again for Yorkshire, they had it as -8C... How does that work then... :crazy:

Posted

Managed about 1-2cm in Barnsley. Virtually all melted now. Very disappointing considering what other areas in Yorkshire received including locations within just a few miles.

Just seen weather foreast on BBC twice in last hour, one following News and the other in Countryfile... In News edition, temp forecast for tonight 0C for our region... In Countryfile edition, again for Yorkshire, they had it as -8C... How does that work then... :crazy:

Yeh spotted that.On the chart it was all around 0c and then -8 in leeds.

I guess they are going because of Church Fenton though, the 'official' Leeds weather station I think? Down at -5.9c already !

www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/yh_latest_weather.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

I guess they are going because of Church Fenton though, the 'official' Leeds weather station I think? Down at -5.9c already !

Yes, probably, although not very representative of the whole region as Church Fenton often significantly colder that elsewhere (apart from Topcliffe...)

Posted

I cant see this snow shifting for the next few days! In Scunny it has kept its depth all day, The fog has rolled in again now, only had a couple of hours this afternoon of hazy sunshine!

I must admit i was expecting a bigger thaw today, but plenty of snow remaining thats for sure.If it's foggy again tomorrow morning it will probably linger for much of the day again.Hard frosts are expected from midweek onwards aswell, so the snow could last for much of the week with a bit of luck.

Edited by sunny scunny

Posted

5-6cm's 90% of the time, but some areas of the my street had much thicker snow of upto around 9cm level on paths, my street is kind of open to the wind funneling through it, so they was a lot of drifting, across my street, someones back gate with a wall around it had drifts of upto about 12cm's.

All-in-all very very happy with last nights event, and to think that the band last night was much weaker and less prolonged as the NAE and some other models showed, goes to show that if the NAE came to fruition we would have been looking at double the depths.

When the heavier snow started last night, i went outside for a quick walk, I had 2cm's at the time, this was at around 8pm. Come 11pm it was 3-4 times the amount, amazing with the wind!

Some Pictures

post-12083-0-93209600-1328473806_thumb.jpost-12083-0-99103700-1328473833_thumb.jpost-12083-0-70852900-1328473868_thumb.j

lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

NMM keen on showing some showers around the area tonight. With more cropping up near the eastern part of the region, with some running through western parts, I suppose they'll be wintry/snow with the current conditions??

EA/SE looks like they should get some snow showers overnight tonight too.

Lewis

Posted

NMM keen on showing some showers around the area tonight. With more cropping up near the eastern part of the region, with some running through western parts, I suppose they'll be wintry/snow with the current conditions??

EA/SE looks like they should get some snow showers overnight tonight too.

Lewis

They could be wintry if the temperatures and dew points remain as close to 0 as possible. Over the last hour the temperature here has been rising, now -0.4 with dew of -0.5. Wonder if increasing cloud has caused this?

Posted

They could be wintry if the temperatures and dew points remain as close to 0 as possible. Over the last hour the temperature here has been rising, now -0.4 with dew of -0.5. Wonder if increasing cloud has caused this?

Quite possible mate, my temp has stuck @ -0.5 since around 6pm, dew point is at -1. I doubt cloud cover will increase the temperature that much, as the cold is locked at the surface.

Was just casually looking through netweather extra and decided to look at the NMM and it showed showers developing at around 10-10:30pm tonight, nothing heavy, just light to moderate.

I'll keep a little eye on the radar.

Only got 2 posts left after this for today :)

Posted

There are some showers developing over the North York Moors which are heading my way. I will report on precipitation type if it gets this far. Freezing fog atm.

Edited by jackst01

Posted

Looks like a weak band of showers are currently moving SE through our region. Not sure if they are rain/sleet or snow. Does anyone know? I'm really hoping for some freezing fog tonight to help freeze up the snow cover. The good thing is though that nearly every main road is clear of snow now so hopefully any icy patches will be in peoples back gardens as I'm sure the councils will be using their salt reserves that have not been touched all winter.

Posted

Looks like a weak band of showers are currently moving SE through our region. Not sure if they are rain/sleet or snow. Does anyone know? I'm really hoping for some freezing fog tonight to help freeze up the snow cover. The good thing is though that nearly every main road is clear of snow now so hopefully any icy patches will be in peoples back gardens as I'm sure the councils will be using their salt reserves that have not been touched all winter.

Not sure what the showers are falling as, but if it's rain i don't think it would do too much damage to the snow cover as it's only light lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Just had that shower pass over here, fell as rain at -5.1c. Freezing Rain gonna make roads dangerous, along with snow and bad fog! Glad im indoors!

Posted

I reckon East Yorkshire, Central parts of South Yorkshire and N Lincolnshire will see showers of snow.

Off too bed tonight. Good night.

Will leave you with this before I go to bed, precip type radar (latest one).

Shows precip around this area sleet/snow. And further North into North Yorkshire it's rain.

http://3.imgland.net/Fk406.png

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

The showers will be mainly rain on low ground. The upper air temps are around -4C and the cold at the surface is rather shallow. Freezing rain looks to be the likely outcome.

The precipitation is part of a weak warm front, so theres the added problem of slightly warmer air aloft pushing in too. None event Im afraid.

Posted

The showers will be mainly rain on low ground. The upper air temps are around -4C and the cold at the surface is rather shallow. Freezing rain looks to be the likely outcome.

The precipitation is part of a weak warm front, so theres the added problem of slightly warmer air aloft pushing in too. None event Im afraid.

As long as we keep the sub zero ground and air temperatures I am not too bothered about the showers tonight. I would rather keep the snow cover we have for as long as possible. Currently -0.2 here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Still snow here surprising but I can hear it dripping.. I am so annoyed it's much colder in Church Fenton not far from here.. bugger

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Today:

Icy stretches at first on untreated surfaces. Small chance of isolated wintry showers reaching the coast, otherwise dry with sunny spells. However remaining below freezing in some areas, where low cloud or patchy freezing fog persists. Maximum temperature 4 °C.

Tonight:

Dry, with clear spells and patchy freezing fog. The lowest temperatures will be in rural areas where there is snow cover, but still ice is likely on many untreated surfaces. Minimum temperature -6 °C.

Tuesday:

Icy stretches at first on untreated surfaces. Where areas of low cloud and freezing fog linger maximum temperatures will be close to or below freezing. Otherwise dry, sunny spells. Maximum temperature 4 °C.

Updated: 0725 on Mon 6 Feb 2012