Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & The South East Regional Discussion - Part 8

Posted

How many years have I been doing the weather from amateur to pro to amateur to major storm chaser and still the wife shouts out "you weather geek, put the kettle on next time you pass the kitchen!".... just cant get the wives nowadays! ;)

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

1cm here now, steady moderate snowfall.

Posted

I feel your pain Paul, infact i believe we had this very conversation in 2009!

People are reporting snow in Colchester which is 23 Miles EAST of me, as are people north and south. I've shone the torch out again and its probably level 0.005, more akin to a the dust that floats about on house work day.

M

it will get there until a very short time ago we had dust but now its proper snow!! have faith!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Any proper experts know why the premium radar for the south east on net weather is a bit cranky? its almost like a piece has been cut from it and not put back quite corectly. If that makes sense! pm me if you like and know as its difficult to keep up with all of these posts!

Posted

Yep History repeating I feel

But wont have to stray far to see deep snow tomorrow.

I reckon we will be lucky on the coasts to get above 2-3cm - Just not got the feel to it. Whereas a bit of elevation (Rayleigh) and a few more miles and it has been chucking it down with snow for about 50 minutes.

Strange this weather malarky

Mate, those radar returns aren't getting to the surface...but TRUST me the stuff to the west does, I've been tracking the line on radar and comparing it to the reports and it matches pretty well with everything. I'd say your 15-20 mins away now tops from it.

Posted

Settling snow in Central London as well, just had a look at some webcams, it looks very pretty!

Can confirm fantastic snow scene near Dome...snowing continuous for an hour now

Posted

2cm here - still moderate snow (say 7-8 on Steve's scale) - expect 6-8cm by the end of the night - maybe more

-0.4c

Posted

Any proper experts know why the premium radar for the south east on net weather is a bit cranky? its almost like a piece has been cut from it and not put back quite corectly. If that makes sense! pm me if you like and know as its difficult to keep up with all of these posts!

If you are referring to the radar lines... as it tracks round it records the data, if it does not get a clear view then you will get gaps etc... its standard. Is that what you were on about?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Yes I would agree there. very annoying but it always snows a bit harder than the radar suggests

Posted

Finally have the most tiniest of flakes ever falling.... finally ,, let hope it sorts its self out !!!

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT

nothing to say............the three girls are outside making snowballs. :yahoo::good::gathering:

Posted

Can confirm fantastic snow scene near Dome...snowing continuous for an hour now

Yep, got Trafalgar Square up now:

http://www.camvista.com/england/london/trafsq.php3

Things looking good, if anything the moderate snow has arrived an hour or so earlieer than I was thinking, and there is plenty of the front to come as well. I'm thinking the 8-12cms looking a good range for most.

Posted

Kold, Jo

We are now having a few flakes in the wind but the grainy type - Its a start

Paul we have a sugar dusting on all surfaces now. Must be imminent your way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Paul Sherman - just been told its snowing now on Canvey Island - so its gotta be with you anytime now surely!!!!!!!

Posted

Me, well i'm slightly north, on the other side of the downs. Light sleety precipitation at the moment, but hoping the heavier stuff peps it up a bit. Well that's the hope anyway!

Hope it will for you - a couple of miles inland with a bit of height could make all the difference. I am enjoying the opportunity to be magnanimous but if I lived on the coast (note that is coast with a small 'c' !) I would probably be slightly more agitated by tonght's events!

Will be taking the cocker spaniel out later and will report back then

AS

Posted

Mate, those radar returns aren't getting to the surface...but TRUST me the stuff to the west does, I've been tracking the line on radar and comparing it to the reports and it matches pretty well with everything. I'd say your 15-20 mins away now tops from it.

Yep

Getting a little bit heavier now - The radar returns are very false nearer the coasts though, lots of evaporative cooling going on.

Temp is now 0.1c

Dewp is now -4.7c

We went out tonight to see the play (The Tempest!) on at my grandaughter's school - went in about 1830 - slight snow had not long started and was just giving a covering - came out about 2045 hours - it was moderate snow by then with about 2 cms lying.

They hadn't gritted the roads - temp was showing +0.1 C and snow at this temp on the roads can be really treacherous - had to to take it really steady.- there's more traction in ice.

Temp has now warmed up to +0.3C and still moderate fine snow, so I reckon we have just hit the warmer section. The radar show the heaviest is yet to come but I find the 850 mb temp at -1C a bit unsettling and wonder whether this will make things wetter.

As it is the onset is a little earlier than expected, so I expect we will go back to cooler 850 's and lower thickness levels shortly - it will be better once we get below freezing at ground level as well.