Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & The South East Regional Discussion - Part 9

Posted

Think it must be the trains Jezzer as can see it here too!

Yep - can see it too from sunny sunbury, towards shepperton

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Just been out driving and all I can say is WOW! The snow has been pretty crazy here for the last couple of hours. We have 3-4inches of lying snow and it's of the dry and powdery type. Hopefully the front will slow down so we can squeeze as much snow out of this as possible.

Posted

just been outside and its like someones turned on a snow machine which is blowing out fine powder. Its starting to cover everything nicely though and looks great under the lamp post :D Just debating whether to stay up and wait for some proper flakes... I could be a very tired & disappointed bunny in the morning

er stay up of course, its Saturday! :)

Posted

Wow you guys are tearing through the threads, upto number 9 now!

Keep the snow reports coming in, and if your unlucky to now have sleet/rain, well your still very welcome!

why thank you :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

I suspect for us somewhere in the 8-12cms sounds about right, though maybe towards the bottom end. Still its hard to tell, it just depends on exactly where the heaviest pluses will travel through.

Got a good 2-3hrs left of heavy snow for central/eastern areas, western areas have less but how much depends on the forward speed of the front and whether it starts to slow soon.

What do you reckon on the 18z GFS? Looks a dogs dinner, I'm not to bothered - UKMO looks good. Heavyish snow still, blowing around.

Posted

just been outside and its like someones turned on a snow machine which is blowing out fine powder. Its starting to cover everything nicely though and looks great under the lamp post :D Just debating whether to stay up and wait for some proper flakes... I could be a very tired & disappointed bunny in the morning

i'm gonna stay up for another couple of hours. Hopefully the heavier stuff will be here by then!

Posted

Just been out to 'walk' the dog (though we all know what that means in practice) and it is extraordinarily foul on the edge of the English Channel tonight. Wind racing in off the sea, heavy icy rain stinging the face and the slow, long, swish of cars on wet, shining, snowless surfaces, the sound that used to tease me awake me as a child when I had been expecting soft, muffled silence. In summary.... it's raining.

My optimism about the prospects tonight right on the south coast has, I must admit, been a little dented....

Still, it seems there is lots more opportunity for us all in the SE over the next week or more. A good sign, perhaps, is that there was no-one on the nudist neach in Brighton today. Maybe they know something we don't!

AS

Posted

Rain rain go away and don't bother coming back PLEASE, You bunch of lucky so and so's

Oh no, dont despair, even if the air being pulled in from Europe doesnt turn the sleet to snow, its been fun hoping???? I have enjoyed the comaradarie of "no snow" people in any case :-)

Posted

Moderate, thick snow now but we have a drip issue beginning!

I notice that Charlwood went above freezing at 10... Ok, 0.1c... Presumably the temps will drop after the snow?

Still coming down reasonably... Tiny danduffy snow though... Approx 4cm I reckon...

Posted

Just an update from central London (elephant and castle). It has now been snowing steadily since 7pm non stop. There is a good 5cm of snow on my balcony, all the minor roads are gone and the Old Kent Road is slowwww. This is a GOOD snow event!

Yeah its somewhat unusual for the snow to settle as well as it is in London from a frontal event, especially one coming from the WEST. Personally a decent event though a long way from being what I'd class as a "good" event...but then again I've probably got a higher requirement being outside of London.

8cm is only 2 inches- sounds about right- we are closing in on 2 inches-

If people want to measure-

Undrifted flat CONCRETE ground-

If you have havent got a ruler- use an A4 bit of paper- Half of the longest bit is 6 inches- Half of that is 3 inches- then divide each section into a third- which is an inch or 2.5cm

next official bexley reading @ 11:30

S

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Horizontal sand, mean snow here, not a measurable covering yet.... fingercrossed

Temp -1.1c

dew -2.2c

Same here, everything white but...

Was we supposed to get blowing snow?, come on deep snow where are you"!

Posted

If you have havent got a ruler- use an A4 bit of paper- Half of the longest bit is 6 inches- Half of that is 3 inches- then divide each section into a third- which is an inch or 2.5cm

S

Thoughts on next week Steve ? More to come Thurs ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, double snow and hot hot sun

I suspect for us somewhere in the 8-12cms sounds about right, though maybe towards the bottom end. Still its hard to tell, it just depends on exactly where the heaviest pluses will travel through.

Got a good 2-3hrs left of heavy snow for central/eastern areas, western areas have less but how much depends on the forward speed of the front and whether it starts to slow soon.

Just put my finger into snowfall on my wooden table...2inches i reckon..not bad, keep it coming!! Horndon doing well now Kold!! and u?

Posted

Hi guys,

Long time reader but very infrequent commenter here - purely 'because I come here to read and learn and generally don't have anything to add that the resident experts haven't said.

Loving a bit of snow tonight - would warn anyone in London that it has already halted the Central Line to Epping, no trains are running out here tonight.

Quick question for the folks in the know, have purchased a subscription to the Netweather radar and the V.6 version is very impressive!! Look like the precipitation is dying out though - I know it got here earlier than planned but will it die out in a couple of hours?? Thought it was due to hover over us until the early hours - or was that only East Kent and the east Norfolk coast?

NB. While I do my one post per year, big thanks to Steve Murr, have been reading this forum for a good few years and you have proved your worth yet again. Also TEITS, GP, C and the rest of you - you know who you are, you make this place interesting and I thank you for your input.

Cheers.

The front is due to stall, it is already slowing down on its front edge somewhat, so as it stalls it should intensify somewhat and places like Anglia, Kent, Essex should get a good whack from it. Great that you are learning, the best thing I would say is step back like you have been and just look at the sensible comments and learn gradually, the weather is fun but we are all learning and no system is ever the same, so a lot comes down to gut feelings also running alongside technical knowledge. Hope that waffle helps...

Posted

S

8cm is 3.2 inches. Sorry to be pedantic!