Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Significant Snow/Freezing Rain Risk - 9-10th February

Posted

As the cat woke me up this morning, I heard the Radio 4 weather mention a warning out for freezing rain, particularly in Cumbria, Northumberland, etc etc. Doesn't look like there's anything here yet, but at -2.2º, any rain falling is going to be lethal.

Posted

With ESS snow map there I am on the borderline between the heavy and light snow band I think this may swing a tad further south east 50 miles can make all the diffrence and the wind direction backing behind the band is favourable for a slight shift se time will tell though my friends

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

ESS might be closer to the mark with his snow map.. big snow flakes reported in Merseyside. Good signs for all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

The met office are updating their local forecasts online so frequently. In an hour for Bournemouth we have gone from snow to sleet to rain back to snow forecast for 00.00 Literally in an hour this has happened.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

The met office are updating their local forecasts online so frequently. In an hour for Bournemouth we have gone from snow to sleet to rain back to snow forecast for 00.00 Literally in an hour this has happened.

. Yeah i think theyve shifted it east, my area is now getting heavy snow whereas 2 hours ago barely any was forecast. Edited by Zakos

Posted

you south easterly boys need some empathy with the rest of us - at least most of you have had a bit last week-end, some of us still havent seen anything and still might not

Looks like the south coast might get a slight dusting to me - thickness, dewpoints look favourable to me but precipitation is light. Any eastwards shift will make a big difference

You experts out there - is ther likely to be any convective activity on the south coast with 850's around -5/-6 - I imagibe the solent temp is prolly around 6-7 degrees at the moment

Posted

Well being more or less smack bang in the middle of England I would like to think we will get snow here in Sheffield but in their most recent updat at 8am the MO forecast is rain then sleet? :(

Posted

met office for kent has changed from dry to light snow for this evening...... we shall see if its more than the snizzle/flurries weve had over the last few days...... also it has suddenly put norwich for heavy snow from 9am?

Posted

Also - looking at the speed of the precipitation it looks like this is moving faster than thought? No? I'd say precipitation due to hit Sheffield by Midday at the very least.

www.raintoday.co.uk

Earlier than that, rain today premium has Sheffield under snow by 10:30 - 11:00,

Posted

. Yeah i think theyve shifted it east, my area is now getting heavy snow whereas 2 hours ago barely any was forecast.

Yes, they have changed it again. one min light snow, next heavy snow.. Confused.com

Posted

Really? Cool, let's hope so. Thanks for that PK :)

Thats ok exciting radar watching today! Hoping for a few cms here to the west of London later today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Yes, they have changed it again. one min light snow, next heavy snow.. Confused.com

this is going to be a radar watching event. As far as i can tell it does look the ppn is further east and south than forecast at the moment. Looking better for me and you, though still the heaviest of the snow to our east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, lightning, wind, frost, any extreme

difficult to watch the radar when its not giving correct information. the radar just had a band of moisture over east yorkshire and still does but its bone dry here so radar cant be trusted

Posted

Just done the school walk and it's lethal up here, everything is encased in ice in light rain and -0.5!!

wow sounds amazing would love to see that happen here

Posted

wow sounds amazing would love to see that happen here

It won't be when that ice glazes power lines and you end up with no electricity! freezing rain is one of the most dangerous aspects of winter weather, ask people in ne Canada where many people had no power for weeks in sub zero temps, the ice brought down power lines in one of the most famous ice storms of the 20th Century.

http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/weather/p/icestorm.htm

Of course that was an extreme event but just goes to show for a country that is used to lots of snow freezing rain is altogether a different proposition.

Posted

My cousin had some of that freezing rain a few years back in Minnesota, really not good and can actually bend metal pylons with the weight

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Looking at the latest chart's the front is going to slowly edge south with it slowing and stalling a little as it reaches the spine of the country.

Then pivoting over the East Midlands befor heading off S/W. There could be some very notable snow as it bumps into the Pennines this evening and overnight.

Freezing rain is very rare in this country so it will be interesting where this falls and to what effect.

Once again it's all down to the Radar from now on, a very interesting 24hrs on the cards.

Posted

It won't be when that ice glazes power lines and you end up with no electricity! freezing rain is one of the most dangerous aspects of winter weather, ask people in ne Canada where many people had no power for weeks in sub zero temps, the ice brought down power lines in one of the most famous ice storms of the 20th Century.

http://canadaonline..../p/icestorm.htm

Of course that was an extreme event but just goes to show for a country that is used to lots of snow freezing rain is altogether a different proposition.

yeah i know it can lead to problems in big ice storms that one in canda was very extreme and lasted for weeks we will get 24hrs at the most so we would just get the nice coating on everything and slippery surfaces. cant imaging it causing power lines to come down as it needs to be heavier and longer lasting does'nt it?

Edited by lightningst

Posted

the latest NAE shows the first band of precipitation being referred to and the main band fairly close behind it. It also moves this further west than even the 00z output had.