Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & The South East Regional Discussion - Part 14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Welcome to the new thread everyone: Please continue here….

this is a link to the previous thread http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/72546-london-the-south-east-regional-discussion-part-13/

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted

Rtavn1743.png

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1743.png

nice chart for monday next week

528 dam line over the whole of the uk

510 dam line touching scotland

will be cold with a strong north westerly wind

the thing i find interesting here

is a 1030 high pressure showing to our east again

will be worth watching to see where this goes

Posted

Owww quiet in here!!!!!

Still very cold at home, more so than inland which is odd. Plenty of lying snow but the fog is the big concern this morning.

Posted

Very quiet!

Down to freezing overnight with still and a good inch of snow in the garden from last Saturdays event...I imagine this will all disappear within a day or so though unfortunately

Posted

Something small showing up on GFS for this time next week, can't quite decide what it will bring at the moment....

MU_London_avn.png

Posted

Well after 10 days of laying snow in the back garden causing an entire white covering it is starting to retreat in Canterbury, our snowman Charles I who's head fell off last Sunday is now missing his torso which fell off last night during the slight thaw. Now 3.7C and warmiing fast..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

We still have about an inch of snow in our garden but there has been a very noticeable thaw overnight. It's going to take a fair while for the big piles of snow to melt. Would be nice if we got a nice big snowfall again before the road to summer begins, but we'll see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

We to have had a slight thaw over night ,having said that temp last night dropped to 0.6c, but is currently reading 3.4c.. Still a good cover of snow in back grdn but disapearing fast from front grdn ...this is now day 10 of measurable snow though so no complaining from me , have been sledging wth kids many times over the last week as well so have made use... if there are no more cold spells round the corner and will be looking forward to Spring !!!! [its been fun ,and i look forward to nxt year ,its been a pleasure reading all your blogs ,c u nxt year peps....]

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Car wouldn't start this morning, meaning a 3 1/2 mile walk to work! :wallbash:

I was surprised at how icy it was, in parts. One of the back roads I walked along had quite a covering of solid ice in places. I certainly wouldn't have fancied driving quickly on that and it made slightly more conscious of being a pedestrian.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

At the risk of offending our friends from the north, although this Winter's not been a classic, still far better than many I can remember. Snow still hanging around, couple of cms in the garden.

I also think the "winter's over" talk is premature as 2008 brought a good dumping of snow here at the beginning of April. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a cold March with more fun and games to come, though this is based on a hunch rather than any technical analysis!

Posted

I look forward to using this thread for storms this year and Thunder storms ;)

I think you'll find the regionals will be closed as soon as the threat of further Winter weather recedes. We do have regular convective, thunderstorm and other storm threads that have proven equally as exciting as these Winter ones in the season. Will be nice to see a few more join us this year:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/70867-uk-convective-general-discussion-forecasts/

Posted

It's not an event relating to the South East however one should be reminded of this:

June 2 1975 Dickie Bird. "When I went out to inspect the wicket, the snow was level with the top of my boots. I'd never seen anything like it," he recalled. Play was abandoned immediately. OK so it was at Buxton.

However I can remember snow falls in Essex during May the worst back in 1955.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

I think you'll find the regionals will be closed as soon as the threat of further Winter weather recedes. We do have regular convective, thunderstorm and other storm threads that have proven equally as exciting as these Winter ones in the season. Will be nice to see a few more join us this year:

http://forum.netweat...sion-forecasts/

I must ask, why does the regional close in march, why can't regionals just run all year.

Posted

I must ask, why does the regional close in march, why can't regionals just run all year.

I think it's because the regionals generally go quite when the threat of snow or cold disappears. Look at how few posts we have had in the last 24 hours in here, sometimes we can have as many as that in an hour on snow days!!! Keep using these threads though and all you will have to do is convince Paul! :lol:

Posted

I think it's because the regionals generally go quite when the threat of snow or cold disappears. Look at how few posts we have had in the last 24 hours in here, sometimes we can have as many as that in an hour on snow days!!! Keep using these threads though and all you will have to do is convince Paul! :lol:

I must admit, I posted a number of times during the cold spell of 2009/10, but then went quiet.

I'll definitely stick around now though.

My knowledge of weather is pretty good, in terms of knowing history, being aware of the consequence of weather patterns, I can 'read' the sky, instantly convert about -20C to 50C into Fahrenheit etc.

Where it's pretty rubbish is in reading the new models, for instance when someone wrote about atmospheric thickness recently, I had no idea what it meant. I've since read up about this and it makes sense now, but there's still a large gap in my knowledge here. I seem to have fallen about 20 years behind the times! :nea:

Posted

I Have gone off Laura Tobin she was on BBC saying i am really glad the cold weather has gone now and glad it has turned milder, so we know when it turns cold hopefully soon and this mild cloudy gloom can go she wont be in the cold corner she will be in the mild rampers area!!!

Guest archiesmummy

Does anyone remember the snow that fell in June? Think it must have been 75 or 76, I was only a baby but has been mentioned to me before, guess it didn't last very long at that time of year!

Posted

Does anyone remember the snow that fell in June? Think it must have been 75 or 76, I was only a baby but has been mentioned to me before, guess it didn't last very long at that time of year!

Early June 75. Stopped the cricket in (I think) Derbyshire. The summer that followed was then a good one, particularly in the first half of August.

Edited by Speed67

Guest archiesmummy

Early June 75. Stopped the cricket in (I think) Derbyshire. The summer that followed was then a good one, particularly in the first half of August.

That's what we need for a good summer then, late snow! Latest I remember was April but was only on the ground for a day!

Posted

Can't say I remember the June snow fall ,although I am old enough , according to Bob Ogley's book it also snowed at the Essex vs Kent cricket match in June 1975, more recently there was snow reported at Birmingham airport in June 1985

Posted

imagine cold weather for the olympics oops nota good thought pouring rain and wind what are the chances....

back to the winter and she ahs a sting in her tail without a doubt

Posted

Can't say I remember the June snow fall ,although I am old enough , according to Bob Ogley's book it also snowed at the Essex vs Kent cricket match in June 1975, more recently there was snow reported at Birmingham airport in June 1985

Inevitably June snowfall is a much rarer creature, but widespread sleet and snow showers did manage to affect the United Kingdom on 2nd June 1975, rudely and infamously affecting a cricket match between Derbyshire and Lancashire at Buxton where early afternoon snow covered the pitch with around an inch of snow (Markham, 1994, Eden 1995). Elsewhere, snow settled on hills just south of Birmingham (Eden 1995), whilst to the south and east Manley (1975) reports snow being observed in both Cambridge and London and another county cricket match, this time featuring Essex and Kent, being played in Colchester was interrupted by snow (Ogley et al. 1993). Meanwhile, sleet showers were observed in RAF Manston in eastern Kent, Hassocks, Sussex and Totton and Portsmouth in Hampshire (COL Bulletin 1975, Eden 1995, Ogley en al 1995).

In his book Weatherwise, Philip Eden (1995) wonderfully describes this June snowfall as, "surely the most outrageous thing that June has ever done to us, meteorologically speaking". It also seems that in recent times at least this is the latest in the season that such widespread snow has managed to affect southern Britain (Manley 1975, Eden 1995) and Manley (1975) suggests that the June 1975 snowfall was probably southern Britain’s latest snowfall since the turn of the nineteenth century.

A little more recently, a sleet shower was reported at Birmingham Airport during the morning of 7th June 1985, whilst in the evening snow fell at Eskdalemuir in southern Scotland (Burt 1985, COL Bulletin 1985). However, it would see, that this does of wintry weather was much more localised than the snowfall of 2nd June 1975.

http://www.dandanthe...w/latesnow.html

758897162.jpg

IT IS etched into cricket folklore. Derbyshire versus Lancashire, 1975. An unbelievable game which saw play halted by snow — in June! Few remember the three-day match at The Park, between Derbyshire and Lancashire, for being one of the biggest defeats in County Championship history, instead for the unseasonal and unexpected influx of the dreaded white stuff.

And it’s one experience that certainly sticks in the mind of retired English international cricket umpire Harold Dennis Bird, MBE – affectionately known as Dickie Bird – who officiated the Championship tie alongside Tintwistle-born Albert “Dusty†Rhodes. “It was a real experience,†explained Bird, 77. “I’ve never known anything like it during my 50-year involvement in cricket. I’ve seen plenty of games affected by rain and bad light in my time, but never snow.â€

Glorious sunshine had greeted the crowds at The Park on Saturday May 31, 1975, as Lancashire won the toss and elected to bat, before racking up 477-5. Frank Haynes (104) and power-hitter Clive Lloyd (167no) both struck centuries - Lloyd’s unbeaten knock took ironically 167 minutes! Derbyshire reached 25-2 off 15 overs in reply by the close of play on day one, still trailing Lancashire by more than 450 runs.

There was no County action on the Sunday as Buxton hosted a John Player League game, witnessing Derbyshire inflict defeat on Glamorgan. Bird continued: “We planned to recommence the county game on the Monday morning. But when I woke up in my hotel room in Buxton and threw back the curtains I couldn’t believe my eyes.

“Saturday had been marvellous, a beautiful scorching day, and there had been a good crowd up at Buxton. But now there was snow everywhere, six inches in some places. I could hardly believe my eyes. I thought ‘good God’.†Bird left his Buxton hotel and struggled to make his way to the The Park, only to be greeted by a thick layer of snow covering the entire ground, the cause of which, the Meteorological Office would later reveal, had been a depression bringing cold air down from the Arctic.

“It was impossible to play, and the match was abandoned for the day,†the umpire recalled. “It was amazing to see, and something that I will always remember. But then on the Tuesday, the sun shone, and we went on to have the best summer we had ever had.†An overnight thaw enabled play to continue on the Tuesday, but for Derbyshire the damage had already been done, with the drying, soggy wicket virtually unplayable. The hosts were skittled out for just 42 and forced to follow-on. Bird said: “The pitches in those days were uncovered and left to the elements, so Derbyshire had to bat on a snow-affected pitch and they collapsed. The ball was just flying all over the place. I had never seen anything like it in my life.

“Ashley Harvey-Walker, who in those days batted for Derbyshire, came in to bat at number five and he said to me ‘just hold onto my false teeth for me, because I won’t be here long’, and he wasn’t, as a couple of balls later he was out. He came back to me for his teeth, put them back in and off he went.†With fast bowler Peter Lever tearing through the batting line-up – he finished with match figures of 6-34 – only Alan Morris (26) and Harvey-Walker (26) offered any resistance in the second innings as Derbyshire crumpled to 87 all out. Lancashire won by an innings and 348 runs.

The snow disruption made headlines right across the country, with the Express, The Times and The Daily Mail among the national newspapers to feature pictures and reports. The match aside, Bird has fond memories of his time in Buxton. “The hospitality at Buxton was marvellous, and it was marvellous to play county matches out there,†he added. “The food was excellent, all the lunches and the teas were excellent, and they always made sure we had coffee and biscuits when we arrived at the ground.

“It is a very pleasant ground, set in beautiful countryside, and I think Derbyshire should return there to play a match.

274461626.jpg

http://www.buxtonadv...uxton_1_3493083

JUNE1975.JPG