Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - April 2012 Onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

After a wet start this morning continuing to early afternoon the weather soon cleared up this afternoon/early evening and is quite settled and pleasant out there, dare I say we managed to get a little sunshine today!

Do you guys want me to do a quick forecast? on the upcoming thunderstorm potential.

Yes please, that would be appreciated - especially as I am planning to chase tomorrow. I am currently thinking E Yorkshire/Lincolnshire may be a good bet?

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Been mostly dry here today. Shame..

God luck for tomorrow guys!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Sporadic heavy bursts of rain here during the day followed by an impressive hail shower an hour ago but no thunder today :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Do you guys want me to do a quick forecast? on the upcoming thunderstorm potential.

Excellent mate, I'm sure many would appreiciate that. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Nothing here! Light drizzle before.. Not even had hail these last weeks..? Strange.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Nowt today! but what's new nonono.gif . A couple of light showers again, the sky looked so stormy too! I'm not going to even mention tomorrow lolwhistling.gif

Guest QuantumSnow

Nowt today! but what's new nonono.gif . A couple of light showers again, the sky looked so stormy too! I'm not going to even mention tomorrow lolwhistling.gif

Same here Jane, everything passed to the north of my location although I did spy some beefy dark clouds further inland but they didn't go bang rolleyes.gif

Posted

Awww Jane and things were looking so promising for you! Don't give up hope :)

I had the torrential rain and hail but as ever lacking with the all important T+L

Edited by Liam J

Posted

There's still summer to go yet. cray.gif I shall still remain optimisticbiggrin.png who knows, I may get something at the weekend yet lazy.gif Well done to all those who have had a storm so far this week. mellow.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Today's lightning strike map:

shows up london as the top spot today, almost but not quite for suffolk, try again tmrw...

Posted

Just found out that the only X on the lightning detector in our area this afternoon was down to a radio friend of mine being unlucky. Those aluminium sticks make a great lightning attractor. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Just very heavy rain today with a few loud bangs. In fact it must be the first time in over a year where the ground is soggy and squelchy

Posted

Well fingers crossed for much more action over the next few days (fingers and toes all crossed for Jane) hehehe :p

The risk of some hefty showers and decent convective cells becoming more widespread and further north than on recent days.

Posted

Just found out that the only X on the lightning detector in our area this afternoon was down to a radio friend of mine being unlucky. Those aluminium sticks make a great lightning attractor. biggrin.png

You serious? Do tell !

Posted

shows up london as the top spot today, almost but not quite for suffolk, try again tmrw...

Not West London torrential rain and Hail, a few rumbles but as far as storms they missed us!

Posted

Just done a real quick little video forecast, dunno if it's good enough like, but talking about where I think the storms will be tomorrow. Can't beat the good old michael fish ay!

Will post the video soon :)

Posted

Well fingers crossed for much more action over the next few days (fingers and toes all crossed for Jane) hehehe blum.gif

The risk of some hefty showers and decent convective cells becoming more widespread and further north than on recent days.

Awww, thanks Liam.smile.png Good luck to you too! surely we have to see something soon, surely!search.gif

Posted

No problem Jane :) it's got to happen sooner or later.... Right?!

Good luck to everyone including those north of the border :)

Will post the video soon :)

Drum roll...... :)

Posted

Apologies for the voice at times, it's kind of croaky, at least it's softened my 'ULL accent.

Nothing brilliant but hope you like it smile.png

Edited by UK Storm Chasers

Posted

Apologies for the voice at times, it's kind of croaky, at least it's softened my 'ULL accent.

Nothing brilliant but hope you like it smile.png

Well done matey, nice video although I was a little worried that all of the forecast PPN avoids Cumbria lol typical but as you mentioned in the video showers can and will crop up anywhere. Still pretty hopeful :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

All I see for the whole of the 12z GFS run is 400+ cape most days, and -2/-3 Lifted index, with quite a bit over France next week, might get our first MCS import.... I hope!!

Posted

Well done matey, nice video although I was a little worried that all of the forecast PPN avoids Cumbria lol typical but as you mentioned in the video showers can and will crop up anywhere. Still pretty hopeful smile.png

Thanks mate, kind of waffled on a bit on that video though, infact I do on most I don't know when to shut up haha.

But yeah your right, I expect shower activity to be quite widespread tomorrow, going by the NMM I wouldn't expect the heaviest of the cells to be across the South and South East like today and over the past few days, but then again, the current trend and tendency of inconsistency between the GFS low res against the NMM high res with regards to the placement of the energy (higher cape values) is quite disturbing.

The GFS low res distributes it on a larger scale and has it placed much further South, then you look at the NMM and it's smaller areas of energy, less distributed also..

Suppose it's going to be down to what happens, happens.... tomorrow once again it's radar watching.

Do you think if I invented some kind of radar watching glasses I would be a rich man? could market them on here lol.

Lewis

Edited by UK Storm Chasers

Posted

It's gone pitch black here in London, looks like a very low based Thunderstorm is about to pass through....

Thunderstorm 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOHOOOOOOO!! This is a massive one, going to record it for you....

It was an impressive storm - I was walking to Waterloo East Station with it above me. Shame I left my umbrella at work - there were a few terrifying moments where I thought my contact lenses were sliding down my face after being washed out of my eyes thanks to the torrential rain laugh.png

All I see for the whole of the 12z GFS run is 400+ cape most days, and -2/-3 Lifted index, with quite a bit over France next week, might get our first MCS import.... I hope!!

Let's hope so - you can't beat an imported thunderstorm from France!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Heard thunder in the distance over the sound of Bristol traffic this afternoon before the heavens opened at about 3.30. A decent hail shower followed on behind. So, another thunder day but not a thunderstorm.

The BBC News this evening showed some footage of a big hailstorm in south Gloucestershire (can't remember the place name). That must have been the cell that tracked to the northeast of Bristol. One thing I really dislike is how all the storms from southeast Wales just disintegrate as they cross the Severn - it's not even that wide or deep!