Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - May 2012

Coast

Posted

UHI Effect producing something in London?

post-5986-0-87032600-1335884990_thumb.pn

Chances die out early evening though. MetO going for yellow warning of heavy, perhaps thundery, showers. Given the shear observed by Paul, perhaps there's a greater chance than the charts first fess up,

post-5986-0-48474800-1335885298_thumb.gipost-5986-0-84954900-1335885313_thumb.gi

Looks to me like directional shear with height - quite impressive, no wonder funnel clouds have been observed - essentially, on the surface we have a NE'ly flow and at 500hPa we have a SE'ly flow - that some 90degs difference over height means that the air is being forced to rotate, and, just like a spinning top, forces the air to rise, rising air condenses etc etc.

Worth keeping an eye out over Benelux early this evening, too - a convergence zone at 500hPa might lead to something interesting

Edited by Boar Wrinklestorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Storm currently just SW of Luton. Producing some sferics.

Posted

Picture Taken with Mobile Phone - 330pm near Leigh On Sea on the Convergence Zone, this was the 2nd Funnel Cloud of the Day

post-24-0-61906700-1335885784_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

What's the deal on wednesday night?

Posted

I'll try and knock something together a little later - looks like the atmosphere doesn't want to play with the nominal 'easy' surface heating typical UK storm analysis ....

Posted

Have witnessed 2 Funnel Clouds in the last hour near Leigh On Sea - Incredible Shear up there with massive Towers but Cap Holding, First Funnel was cone shaped and only 2/8 to the Ground and 2nd was horizontal

Im moving next to you Paul you get all the excitment.....blinking houses are in the way!!

Posted

What's the deal on wednesday night?

sugar-404_681937c.jpg

Posted

Convection could be initiated due to occluding front over S England?

Not sure it's going to last though ....

From earlier:

LOC_20120501_0900.png

Latest:

ASII_20120501_1500.png

Posted

Picture Taken with Mobile Phone - 330pm near Leigh On Sea on the Convergence Zone, this was the 2nd Funnel Cloud of the Day

post-24-0-61906700-1335885784_thumb.jpg

Great picture.

Looks interesting there at the moment as well.

Posted

Why of Why are we the breeding ground for these, The Brentwood Storm literally went up over my House - Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Why of Why are we the breeding ground for these, The Brentwood Storm literally went up over my House - Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Well well well...what an unexpected surprise!

I only came on here to comment on how it feels the humidity has gone through the roof...VERY sultry indeed! And looky looky, line of very intense echoes just to my North and North East....

Looks like a CZ of some description, but beyond that I know nothing!

Posted

Well well well...what an unexpected surprise!

I only came on here to comment on how it feels the humidity has gone through the roof...VERY sultry indeed! And looky looky, line of very intense echoes just to my North and North East....

Looks like a CZ of some description, but beyond that I know nothing!

Yep,a narrow but rather potent CZ .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

On behalf of all of us up in the west midlands....."Welcome to our world!!" laugh.png

Posted

On behalf of all of us up in the west midlands....."Welcome to our world!!" laugh.png

Lol

Now I know how you guys feel! Convergence Zone is still just to my North, Nice Cb's but moving away - aggressive.gif

Posted

A nice thunderstorm here in Ware, Herts as part of that line on the radar. Seems to be IC lightning, just as entertaining as last night. Torrential rain to go with it this time though.

Posted

Tomorrow Night is looking very Similar to Monday Night Across Southern Counties and the SE/East Angia.

Another disturbance Moves from SE-NW & Rounds the Low to our South West bringing Thundery Rain along a Moist Conveyer From Near The Alps.

Anyone for Round 2 Tomorrow Night ???

Posted

Round 2 sounds good' Paul! Although I think I've had enough luck for the year now rofl.gif

In the last hour there's been some torrential rain. No T&L unfortunately. Happened to be on a driving lesson too so it was nice to get some practice and drive through some of the flooded roads! good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Got about a 15 minutes show last night. It was within a few miles, but don't think it was ever directly overhead.

Haven't seen lightening at night for such a long time. Having said that it was too cloudy to see any actual forks.

Was wonderful to lie in bed watching it out the window with the windows open hearing the rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

Can't believe the stormy days (and now nights) for this year. More please! Though a bit knackered after going out to storm watch at 11pm and staying up to 130 on the off chance that the storms would continue. Unfortunately not. After driving through torrential rain, and three big bright flashes of lightning, the storm helpfully fizzled out as soon as I got to my regular vantage point last night... Some later rumbles and the odd flash but the imports moved further north/into Suffolk and didn't really have any more strength, so it seemed.

But yes I'm all for round 2! More pic and video opportunities, rain permitting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Tomorrow Night is looking very Similar to Monday Night Across Southern Counties and the SE/East Angia.

Another disturbance Moves from SE-NW & Rounds the Low to our South West bringing Thundery Rain along a Moist Conveyer From Near The Alps.

Anyone for Round 2 Tomorrow Night ???

Could I have Round 1 first please? rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

and talking about 'rounds' some of you lucky folk in the south east owe us storm starved midlanders one....so with that in mind, I'll have a Speckled Hen please..drinks.gif

Posted

and talking about 'rounds' some of you lucky folk in the south east owe us storm starved midlanders one....so with that in mind, I'll have a Speckled Hen please..drinks.gif

Why not a Bishops Fingerair_kiss.gif

Posted

Mwahahaha

There is even one called "Bitter And Twisted" drinks.gifrofl.giftease.gifgood.gifblum.gif

You not tried that AJ ??

Posted

Mwahahaha

There is even one called "Bitter And Twisted" drinks.gifrofl.giftease.gifgood.gifblum.gif

You not tried that AJ ??

HeHe Shermy, every time you get a storm I drink 10 pints of that stuff and then start posting in here! drunk.gif