Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 28th June 2012>

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Some very severe looking stuff happening over S and Central Germany atm !

Would be chaos if that was over the UK and perhaps a lot of excitement from the die hard fans like me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I had one sharp shower here all day unfortunately! At least I got to see the elusive sun and managed to have a few enjoyable dog walks. Not all bad although i'd have welcomed a storm with open arms! blum.gif

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

My photo over on SE&EA thread apparently shows the very edge of some massive precips over Belgium/Holland. Amazing to think it could stretch that far. Info thanks to Perfect Storm. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold blasts, snowy Summer hot sultry thunderstorms

Some exciting news to report from Crewe......nah only messing, nothing here again

Im really begining to feel for you crew,, but sayin that lincolnshire keeps getting a mention on here like its some storm capital, but i can tell u up here in north lincs near the humber

we havnt really had a full blown thunder event for atleast 3 yrs we missed it all on thursday it either went south or north through east yorkshire its like the humber as some type of shield well on the south bank anyways lol,,,,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

not even a downpour? there was some bright echos over Crewe

Nope...moderate rain showers. I'm not aware of what the radar has shown because I've been in work....but I can assure you there has been no downpours at this end of Crewe. There looked to be something fired up on the eastern horizon about 5pm (could be what Dave has said occurred over Potteries way) but there was certainly nothing of note here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Im really begining to feel for you crew,, but sayin that lincolnshire keeps getting a mention on here like its some storm capital, but i can tell u up here in north lincs near the humber

we havnt really had a full blown thunder event for atleast 3 yrs we missed it all on thursday it either went south or north through east yorkshire its like the humber as some type of shield well on the south bank anyways lol,,,,

I watched the storms move out of lincs on thursday, we totally missed out in hull too, also they seemed to weaken. Im not sure if the humber is a large enough expanse of water to affect things but i wonder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Nothing here again, apart from the odd dark cloud this morning, turned into a sunny and breezy day, very warm in a nice sheltered spot in the garden :) Norfolk is definitely losing its appeal as far as storms go - bring back the 1980s!!!!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold blasts, snowy Summer hot sultry thunderstorms

I watched the storms move out of lincs on thursday, we totally missed out in hull too, also they seemed to weaken. Im not sure if the humber is a large enough expanse of water to affect things but i wonder

Yes john that was a bit of a flippent comment probably has no bearing on the matter but it does seem to happen on a regular basis i quite agree they do tend

to fizzle out by the time they get to our area,, in cant be coz they run out of steam, further south round south to mid lincs they fire all the way to the coast !!!!!

Posted

Yes john that was a bit of a flippent comment probably has no bearing on the matter but it does seem to happen on a regular basis i quite agree they do tend

to fizzle out by the time they get to our area,, in cant be coz they run out of steam, further south round south to mid lincs they fire all the way to the coast !!!!!

i think its a valid observation. I wish there was a little more research in britian into storms, so these sort of things could be sorted out, weather forecasting in this country seems quite broad and never seems to focus on details. Especially with the metoffice.

Posted

i think its a valid observation. I wish there was a little more research in britian into storms, so these sort of things could be sorted out, weather forecasting in this country seems quite broad and never seems to focus on details. Especially with the metoffice.

METO well we wont go there now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

My photo over on SE&EA thread apparently shows the very edge of some massive precips over Belgium/Holland. Amazing to think it could stretch that far. Info thanks to Perfect Storm. smile.png

No problem, I could see it from here in Hertfordshire amazingly enough. :)

Posted

Certainly agree with this. It's the reason the public are so uneducated concerning severe weather, or even just weather in general. I have often in the past cringed at what others have said in my presence wrt severe weather that was either occuring or had occured.

I'd be interested to know how many people somehow "linked" Thursday's severe convective event with GW. *Shivers* Just remembered an embarrasing statement someone made several years back lol.

Well my mum did ask that about GW. lets wait and see if anyone asks if they want to name the tornado's, "like they do in the US" as one person said a few years ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Very heavy shower here now, surface water everywhere!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Thursday's tornado is said to be half a mile wide!! nothing mini about that!

Posted

Yes from the pictures and footage I've seen it was quite a beast by UK standards, like an import straight from the USA! OK perhaps not quite that big.

More video footage added to the thread we have running dedicated to last Thursdays events. http://forum.netweat...60#entry2327807 good.gifEL BRUMO

Edited by Liam J

Posted

I can't see us getting anything form this today, but I'll put it here for discussion if nothing else:

post-6667-0-73585700-1341131299.png

SYNOPSIS

Large parts of Europe are covered by a strong Southwesterly flow between a long-wave ridge over East-Central Europe and a long-wave trough over Western Europe. At the tip of the trough, a separate upper-level low struggles to cut off over Spain at the beginning of the forecast period and leisurely travels northeastward into Southern France afterwards. The remaining northern part of the trough accelarates northeastward over France and Germany during the forecast period. Further downstream, the Baltic states are affected by another short-wave trough.

Latest satellite imagery indicates a mesoscale convective vortex across northern Poland that moves north-eastward. It will affect the Baltic States later on. The outflow boundaray of this system stretches from central Poland to eastern Czech Republic into southern Austria.

The main frontal boundary stretches from the Baltic Sea via Poland, Germany and the Western Alps into Eastern Spain and slowly moves eastward. It separates a very hot air mass to the East from temperate maritime air to the West, and will again be the focus for severe convection on Sunday

Still possibilities from GFS for later this week:

90_20.gif

96_20.gif

114_20.gif

132_20.gif

post-6667-0-73585700-1341131299_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Torrential downpour after torrential downpour this morning. And the UKMO said it would be the drier day of the weekend lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Torrential downpour after torrential downpour this morning. And the UKMO said it would be the drier day of the weekend lol!

i thought the same, its been chucking it down, so much for a better day!!!

Posted

Not looking too shabby (so far) for us up here thursday/friday but it can all change. Not very often we get anything during July so would be a nice bonus if it came to fruition

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

post-7254-0-74602000-1341135212_thumb.jpEducation from the learned members appreciated here. I took this shot on thursday last week, after the cold front had moved in, post the storm-fest (none of which in Cheshire of course, we got to see).....two questions?

1: What caused the fine cloud structure at the top of the cloud. It seemed to be part of the main cloud and then the main cloud kind of "punched" through it....

2: With more heat and energy available, would this cloud have created any electrical activity? Or was it cruelly getting my hopes up!

Education much appreciated! Thanks guys and girls.

Posted

The CB looks like it's in the early stages of being punched into the typical anvil formation. Well-developed cumulonimbus clouds are also characterized by a flat, anvil-like top (anvil dome), caused by straight line winds at the higher altitudes which shear off the top of the cloud, as well as by an inversion over the thunderstorm caused by rising temperatures at the equilibrium level near the tropopause. This anvil shape can precede the main cloud structure (vertical updraft towers) for many miles.

http://en.wikipedia....ulonimbus_cloud

Have yourself a read of this very interesting and informative guide to UK thunderstorm set ups composed by our very own Nick F http://forum.netweat...erstorm-setups/

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

The CB looks like it's in the early stages of being punched into the typical anvil formation. Well-developed cumulonimbus clouds are also characterized by a flat, anvil-like top (anvil dome), caused by straight line winds at the higher altitudes which shear off the top of the cloud, as well as by an inversion over the thunderstorm caused by rising temperatures at the equilibrium level near the tropopause. This anvil shape can precede the main cloud structure (vertical updraft towers) for many miles.

Have yourself a read of this very interesting and informative guide to UK thunderstorm set ups composed by our very own Nick F http://forum.netweat...erstorm-setups/

Im not so sure its an anvil mate, if you look carefully its behind the Cb?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

Thanks! Will take a look! Appreciated

Im not so sure its an anvil mate, if you look carefully its behind the Cb?

Looking for another shot of it. 5 mins. :-)

Posted

That looks like some very nice looking convection there!, looks to me like a possible pileus cloud where a layer of air is lifted above the rising updraught causing it to cool to it's dew point and condense. The growing updraughts often do punch through it like you describe.

Edited by Stormmad26