Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 28th June 2012>

Liam J

Posted

Amazing differences in one region! Parts of the West Country have had around half an inch of rain this afternoon while in Warminster

it's been fine all day with plenty of warm sunshine, a strong SW breeze and we've dried 3 large loads of washing on the line!

The shower line has crept closer in the last hour so it may not stay dry all evening, but if it does that'll mean we had no rain on Thursday

and no rain today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Here in Mytholmroyd we jusy had those white echoes (heading to leeds) with hail and lightning......it never rains.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

having a heavy shower here currently...there was a nearby sferic detected from this shower cluster but nothing heard or seen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather, thunderstorms, snow

Sorry to be straying off topic here but can anyone recommend some good lightning/rainfall radars covering Germany? Wonder if things have gone BANG there yet?bomb.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Sorry to be straying off topic here but can anyone recommend some good lightning/rainfall radars covering Germany? Wonder if things have gone BANG there yet?bomb.gif

http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php

is one of the lightning detector sites I use. If you click on Central EU it gives you a closer look at Germany. Not sure if that's what you meant?

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Amazing differences in one region! Parts of the West Country have had around half an inch of rain this afternoon while in Warminster

it's been fine all day with plenty of warm sunshine, a strong SW breeze and we've dried 3 large loads of washing on the line!

The shower line has crept closer in the last hour so it may not stay dry all evening, but if it does that'll mean we had no rain on Thursday

and no rain today!

Andy, in these types of set ups the SE can stay very dry and avoid all convective activity. It seems today that this dry corner may have extended further west towards you.

If we keep any southerly component to the wind this week down here then I suspect the rainfall totals will be far less than the rest of the country.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather, thunderstorms, snow

http://www.blitzortu...pages/index.php

is one of the lightning detector sites I use. If you click on Central EU it gives you a closer look at Germany. Not sure if that's what you meant?

Thats great, thanks Chris.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Some photos from Sandhutton- not as spectacular as Thursday's, but this cell did produce some claps of thunder at a rate of about one every two minutes:

post-7-0-00530300-1341082702_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-69618600-1341082727_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-07687300-1341082756_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-63146700-1341082804_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Any ideas what tomorrows potential is like?

Posted

Andy, in these types of set ups the SE can stay very dry and avoid all convective activity. It seems today that this dry corner may have extended further west towards you.

If we keep any southerly component to the wind this week down here then I suspect the rainfall totals will be far less than the rest of the country.

We do generally get showers here in such set ups though it does depend where they line up a la today.

Amusingly the earlier long lasting line to the NW/N has almost stopped while another developed some 20 miles S/E and has brought a few sharp showers

over here - however by far the heaviest of the latter line is now occuring a few miles S/E of Warminster!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Heard a rumble, saw some hail, but that's all for today's activity

Posted

Andy Devizes has missed out on rain aswell... In 1st line about 2 miles and same again on this one... Now if there were thunder storms i would be fuming! lol

Posted

Andy Devizes has missed out on rain aswell... In 1st line about 2 miles and same again on this one... Now if there were thunder storms i would be fuming! lol

If it was thunderstorms I wouldn't mind being a few miles out because you get a better view of lightning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

having a heavy shower here currently...there was a nearby sferic detected from this shower cluster but nothing heard or seen

Yeah, a little disappointing, but i suppose cant really complain after thursday,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I still think that, on balance, Lincolnshire is the best area for storms in the UK, maybe joint with the far SE of Kent when they catch a French MCS.

Warm splashes of rain here from a small shower.

Maybe Alza but I have certainly noticed an increase in thunderstorms in the NE. Remember last years Spanish plume and the Monster storm that spanned from Berwick to Darlington hugging the east coast? That event was very poor visibility wise due to the mist and fog but continuous thunder heard for around an hour I believe.

Thursday's storm was in a whole other league of it's own, and although I can't pull facts and figures out I do think the NE is seeing an increase in storm activity over the past few years. I do agree though that the Lincolnshire area is probably the best place for storms overall.

Had a couple of showers here this afternoon but no thunder heard today.

Wow, that was great. 16mm of rain in the past 2 hours, and that was from 2 bursts of rain lasting a total of less than 20 mins. Even though we had very torrential rain, still no thunder :(

Edited by Sainsbo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Some exciting news to report from Crewe......nah only messing, nothing here again

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Some exciting news to report from Crewe......nah only messing, nothing here again

not even a downpour? there was some bright echos over Crewe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

I dont think anything will beat thursdays events for a long time, does anyone have any idea of the cloud top heights on that day?

Edited by john2006