Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 28th June 2012>

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Im not so sure its an anvil mate, if you look carefully its behind the Cb?

You could be right but look carefully at the top of the CB and wind shear looks evident, the dome can be seen becoming smoothed over as it gains height? hmmm, need more pics smile.png

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

GFS 06z a bit of an upgrade with some chances for next week. A lot of chopping and changing likely over the next few days though, but even tomorrow looks good. Best place for Monday looks to be SE Scotland.

Actually i am a bit out there - i would say NE England (Northumberland area and maybe Newcastle again). Plus, Ireland looking good also - especially around Dublin.

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

post-7254-0-93161400-1341137060_thumb.jpThis was about five mins later

Some nice pileus on that one, (that thin 'hood' over the top of the Cb)

Also looks to be a little Velum too, which is thin altostratus the CB punches though. That could have been what we saw on the first pic? I still can't see an anvil just yet smile.png

Edited by Kain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

this was a few mins before.

post-7254-0-26484900-1341138248_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

post-7254-0-74602000-1341135212_thumb.jpEducation from the learned members appreciated here. I took this shot on thursday last week, after the cold front had moved in, post the storm-fest (none of which in Cheshire of course, we got to see).....two questions?

1: What caused the fine cloud structure at the top of the cloud. It seemed to be part of the main cloud and then the main cloud kind of "punched" through it....

2: With more heat and energy available, would this cloud have created any electrical activity? Or was it cruelly getting my hopes up!

Education much appreciated! Thanks guys and girls.

It looks like some type of pileus cap.

These clouds are formed above cumulus congestus clouds by rapid condensation of a moist layer of air above the updrafting congestus. They are often icy and fog like and short lived as the congestus engulfs them.

Posted

Some nice pileus on that one, (that thin 'hood' over the top of the Cb)

Also looks to be a little Velum too, which is thin altostratus the CB punches though. That could have been what we saw on the first pic? I still can't see an anvil just yet smile.png

Cruelly, it never quite made it to an anvil! But it stands out because compared to the drizzly dull dross we have had to endure her recently, it was actually an interesting thing to photograph lol! Such is our desperation!

Posted

It looks like some type of pileus cap.

These clouds are formed above cumulus congestus clouds by rapid condensation of a moist layer of air above the updrafting congestus. They are often icy and fog like and short lived as the congestus engulfs them.

Thanks to everyone who replied! Yep, been reading up and Pileus gets the vote! Can put a name to it now! Cheers :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Lol Chiono beat me to it, for those interested in more info:

http://en.wikipedia....s_(meteorology)

I always thought when that type of cloud appeared on top of a Cumulus cloud, or Cumulonimbus cloud, it just meant the cap was reached as the cloud could not rise any higher, therefore it would become slightly squashed at the top?

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

No, it's where the strong/fast updraft causes the air to cool and condense which forms the cloud.

Oh that's really cool, so would these type of clouds be associated with tornadoes in the USA because of that strong updraft?

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

They're associated with rapidly rising convective clouds, they don't always develop but are a sign of a strong updraft, so yes you'll certainly see them at times in the USA.

Posted

They're associated with rapidly rising convective clouds, they don't always develop but are a sign of a strong updraft, so yes you'll certainly see them at times in the USA.

Really interesting stuff, cheers Paul. :)

Certainly something for me to look out for next when the ingredients are there for some thunderstorms. Nice one!

Posted

Torrential downpour after torrential downpour this morning. And the UKMO said it would be the drier day of the weekend lol!

i thought the same, its been chucking it down, so much for a better day!!!

We always get showers in the morning when there's a Westerly flow with LOW to the N/NE! The presence of the Bristol Channel and various areas

of high ground (added to a trough today if the 06z fax is to be believed) help showers to generate.

The afternoons tend to be drier and brighter and today is going that way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

You learn something new every day, tbh I'd never heard of a pileus cloud! Probably seen quite a few though! smile.png

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I remember in first year learning about pileus clouds...we were amused that it was very close to "piles"...British university education - you can't beat it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

I remember in first year learning about pileus clouds...we were amused that it was very close to "piles"...British university education - you can't beat it!

Lol Nick, You never Iv'e never really thought of that! Cb's with piles :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Anything to look forward to convective/thundery wise for the South of the UK in the coming days?

Haven't had or got the time to look at the models in detail at the mo!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

No, it's where the strong/fast updraft causes the air to cool and condense which forms the cloud.

Many thanks, I've always wondered what that was. I've seen it a few times around Bristol, in the distance I may add. :-/

@ Active Weather Dude - GFS 06z shows some CAPE of around 500 - 700 in/near Bristol Friday/Saturday. 700 is further up in the West Mids northwards.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn15611.png

Edited by Thunder_Bolt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Lol Nick, You never Iv'e never really thought of that! Cb's with piles blum.gif

Ring of Fire!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Anything to look forward to convective/thundery wise for the South of the UK in the coming days?

Haven't had or got the time to look at the models in detail at the mo!

The way I see it, maybe, but nothing great. The best potential will be further N & NE and Ireland looks quite good to. With the wind direction and showery nature forecast for this week, its going to be the typical scenario of some areas seeing all the showers, others missing them. Although many areas will probably see some form of rain during the week.

Unfortunately, it looks similar to past set-ups - The SW probably brewing the showers, rather than getting the thundery ones. Looks a bit better for our area later in the week..but that will change no doubt as we progress nearer the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

More convective chances this week. Next chance tomorrow, mainly for Ireland, South West Scotland, Northern England and down to the West Midlands.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Anyone know if there will be any decent french imports during July? I hope so. Could do with a decent one such as the years of 2005/6

Posted

Have not really had time to look at the charts yet, but the other day next thursday/friday was looking good.

Towards the end of August/Start of September is when we normally do will from plumes/imports.

Lewis