Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 3rd July 2012>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Ooo it's really hot out there, the sun is just too hot. If this isn't enough to kick something off later then I don't know what is! It reminds me of may the 11th or 12th 2008 when it was sunny like this all morning untill one hell of a storm caim up from Chesher. I think that was the last proper storm here.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Going to be a long wait. I'm now doing rain preparation by sitting in the garden. That may trigger some storms for us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Nice little storm in Lincs.. think it'll just skirt by here.

Posted

Where is all of this rain to come from?

The sky Liam!!!!! laugh.png

I think you'll find the significant rain is going to be chiefly in the late evening/early hours and is some way off yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The sky Liam!!!!! laugh.png

Really? Heres me staring at the ground waiting for it to leak.... blum.gif

Looking at the models the rainfall will be imported from the continent as a shallow area of LP drags the showers/storms into circulation? Very interesting weather on the horizon thats for sure, many more surprises to come I'm sure.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Looking at the models the rainfall will be imported from the continent as a shallow area of LP drags the showers/storms into circulation? Very interesting weather on the horizon thats for sure, many more surprises to come I'm sure.

Interesting developments on the continent currently:

post-6667-0-80900500-1341492133_thumb.jp

http://www.knmi.nl/data/satrep/archive/ZAMG/ASII/ASII_20120705_1200.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Its very interesting to me mainly due to the fact that LP's dont come from this direction often and when they do, its normally a very wet and interesting time.

Cant wait :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Interesting developments on the continent currently:

post-6667-0-80900500-1341492133_thumb.jp

http://www.knmi.nl/d...20705_1200.html

WOW MCS heaven over there at the mo! Interesting times ahead for the UK and worrying times for some of us!

Buy your inflatable dingy's now while stocks last help.gif

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Just sat to west of Harrogate. There is a storm to my SE and I am planning on it coming this way :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

When you have a pocket of unstable theta-e air coming in, that low pressure will just pull moisture in like there's no tomorrow!

4" of rain should be no problems for some people across the Midlands and Northern England.

Not surprising the MO have revised their warnings, it will bring more rain in to the south west with the cyclonic flow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Is anyone else reminded of July 2007 - was it Friday 20th?

great minds think alike Andy, I was just thinking that!.....If I recall the deluge came in from the SE from the near continent, and on the radar it looked like a tropical cyclone with a pronounced spiral arc of ppn (with embedded thunderstorms) as it moved SE to NW

Posted

All bets are off for the overnight and tomorrow I think now. Low pressure system coming in from the Atlantic is moving in a lot quicker than I thought.

Warm maritime air is now feeding into our system to the south west from the incoming system. The system to the south west appears to be being shifted more south and east. Over on the continent storms are initiating.

It looks to me like we may have incoming imports into the south east evening time and for a time depending on when they get here they may be surface based. Will be interested to see how quickly the Met Office warning areas change this afternoon. Possibility now of severe storms for some areas in the south (mainly heavy rain, but lightning as well ?)

As for tomorrow then I think we might be looking at something rather different than the models currently show. Its all rather intriguing to watch the two systems almost collide.

Posted

That met office warning still seems to far NE to me....

Hmmm What do they know..

Posted

Can hear distant thunder to my east, getting increasingly darker but think this may just skirt by me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

All bets are off for the overnight and tomorrow I think now. Low pressure system coming in from the Atlantic is moving in a lot quicker than I thought.

Warm maritime air is now feeding into our system to the south west from the incoming system. The system to the south west appears to be being shifted more south and east. Over on the continent storms are initiating.

It looks to me like we may have incoming imports into the south east evening time and for a time depending on when they get here they may be surface based. Will be interested to see how quickly the Met Office warning areas change this afternoon. Possibility now of severe storms for some areas in the south (mainly heavy rain, but lightning as well ?)

As for tomorrow then I think we might be looking at something rather different than the models currently show. Its all rather intriguing to watch the two systems almost collide.

Wow...all to play for...exciting or indeed worrying times ahead depending on how you view this type of weather...

...Just going back to Andy's post earlier, here's the radar at two hourly intervals from the NW archive for 20/7/07.....nasty looking circulation and ppn arc indeed...

post-4149-0-66334800-1341493312_thumb.pn

post-4149-0-67024900-1341493327_thumb.pn

post-4149-0-95952100-1341493340_thumb.pn

post-4149-0-80216800-1341493355_thumb.pn

Posted

The system in the AT will merge with the LP to our SW. This will create a mega super dooper LP causing 100's of supercells and well over 2000+ sferics per hour across the whole of the UK.

The GOV will demand that everyone interested in weather be allowed a day off work and free petrol will be given.

Just you wait...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Is anyone else reminded of July 2007 - was it Friday 20th?

Yes it was, that day I was travelling down the M5 to Somerset. I was one of the lucky ones in that I didn't get trapped on there overnight, but still took me 14 hours to get from North Wales to Minehead. Absolutely hellish day.

Edited by No thunder here!

Posted

That met office warning still seems to far NE to me....

Hmmm What do they know..

That's exactly what I think

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I think where I live, had only about half an hour of heavy rain from that one. Still the forecast beforehand had made me cancel a camping trip (the camping trip was not my idea) I was lucky on both counts.rolleyes.gif

Posted

View to my north east

Edited by boxy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

View to my north east

Foggy?blum.gif