Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer Here? (Warm Spell Discussion)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Lovely isn't it? Even the wind still feels warm. This isn't a patch on the last 10 days of May though, with that perfect Euro high <3

Feels nice outside, may struggle to sleep tonight - may have to sleep outside the covers.

Posted

lovely day, i wonder when people will start complaining its too hot? thats the British public for you

Posted

Heard someone say today that it was 'boiling'. Now, I'm no fan of heat but even I found that hard to believe. It was humid today though.

Posted

26c here today, that is perfect, but i can understand some people thinking that feels hot as we are not used to it, even though technically 26c is not really that hot, when was the last time we had widespread 32c 33c temps ? i don't think my area has reached 30+ for a good few years now, though maybe i just have a bad memory

Edited by Snowy Easterly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

A maximum temperature of 26.4C was achieved here. From 9am to 12pm was clear blue skies. Cloudy from 12-3pm (So annoyed) and then sunny spells from 3-6pm, then clear blue skies till sunset.

Clear skies at the moment, and I am expecting 2 sunny days, temperatures tomorrow in the very high twenties. :D

Posted

Now if we can see something like this in August, you're likely to be putting the all time British heat record under threat. You could easily double those uppers, and with the thermal lag effect in place, the sun is much stronger in August than any other summer month. :)

Posted

Met Office is now forecasting 27c here for tomorrow.. I wouldn't be surprise if it was warmer than that, especially when you consider we were only supposed to reach 24C at best a week ago.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Now if we can see something like this in August, you're likely to be putting the all time British heat record under threat. You could easily double those uppers, and with the thermal lag effect in place, the sun is much stronger in August than any other summer month. smile.png

Is it? i thought june had the strongest sun as it is the month where the sun is at its highest due to the longest daylight hours but then again what do i know

PS i hope im far enough south to keep the sun and heat until friday i bet it clouds over though from that annoying front, though i doubt i will reach 30c

Edited by Snowy Easterly

Posted

Is it? i thought june had the strongest sun as it is the month where the sun is at its highest due to the longest daylight hours but then again what do i know

PS i hope im far enough south to keep the sun and heat until friday i bet it clouds over though from that annoying front, though i doubt i will reach 30c

The temperature record was set in August, even with the shorter daylight hours. Peak temperatures will always be around 3-4pm depending on location, but I'm pretty sure the sun is at it's strongest in August.

Posted

The temperature record was set in August, even with the shorter daylight hours. Peak temperatures will always be around 3-4pm depending on location, but I'm pretty sure the sun is at it's strongest in August.

Well i can't remember as i have barely seen any strong August sun for years, we are overdue a good August now

Posted

Well i can't remember as i have barely seen any strong August sun for years, we are overdue a good August now

Me neither :rofl:

Odds on a good 2nd half imo!

Posted

The sun is strongest on June 21st, I believe the reason for August often having the highest temps is due to the lag in the SSTs. The temperature of the sea takes a while to respond to the warmer summer temperatures and SSTs are higher in August than June. This coupled with the relatively strong sun of early August can lead to high temperatures. There are many people on this site who are more knowledgeable than I am on this but this is the basic reason I believe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

The sun is strongest in Late June, but indeed due to thermal lag Early August can potentially be the warmest time of the year, but UV levels and sun angle are slightly lower in June/July.

Posted

Theres quite a few cool temperatures around this morning looking at the MetOffice 0500 observations (9.3C at Sennybridge and 10.3C at Charlwood for example). I wouldnt have expected that under such a warm airflow.

The warmest areas look to be in Northern England, this area included, though Im unsure why as its not cloudy here (perhaps warmer due to being windier further north?). Our min temp was 15.8C.

Posted

Theres quite a few cool temperatures around this morning looking at the MetOffice 0500 observations (9.3C at Sennybridge and 10.3C at Charlwood for example). I wouldnt have expected that under such a warm airflow.

The warmest areas look to be in Northern England, this area included, though Im unsure why as its not cloudy here (perhaps warmer due to being windier further north?). Our min temp was 15.8C.

Low here was 15.9C, currently 16.1c and sunny, very unusual for this area to keep such high temperatures under clear skies, even during July 2006, nights above 15C didn't occur very often.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

15.6c low here - about what I expect under perfectly clear skies.

The sky today is as deep blue as it was in the May warm spell. Sure someone insisted you can't get such clear skies after midsummer as it often ends up hazy... well you can!

This is perfect weather - we should make 27c or so with 16c mins, little to no cloud and humidity at a decent level. Its not too hot but never cool - spot on perfect!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

15.6c low here - about what I expect under perfectly clear skies.

The sky today is as deep blue as it was in the May warm spell. Sure someone insisted you can't get such clear skies after midsummer as it often ends up hazy... well you can!

This is perfect weather - we should make 27c or so with 16c mins, little to no cloud and humidity at a decent level. Its not too hot but never cool - spot on perfect!

Ay botty, it just depends on where the air is coming from...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

10am....20C not going outside today...to hot (and I come out in blotches)

Need to save myself for my 18th Birthday tomorrow :p

Sam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

We're due 40c here in Spain on Friday!!! However good to see its hot at home too.

Posted

Well everyone asked for it when it was pouring down for all those weeks!!!!

th_SummerHotFan.gif

th_DiveIn.gif

Posted

The sun is strongest in Late June, but indeed due to thermal lag Early August can potentially be the warmest time of the year, but UV levels and sun angle are slightly lower in June/July.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=136&month=7&year=2012&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

Another thing to note is that the earth's distance from the sun is at a maximum around July 4th, due to the non-circular nature of our orbit around the sun.

At solar noon the sun in early July is about 5 degrees higher in the sky than in early August.

Posted

Heard someone say today that it was 'boiling'. Now, I'm no fan of heat but even I found that hard to believe. It was humid today though.

As per 1050Z obs today (Tuesday), Leeds is currently 23/17 whilst London is 26/11. Both pretty warm for pre-midday, but I think that Leeds ob would feel a little more uncomfortable due to higher dewpoints.