Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 17th July 2012>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Watch out central Bristol there's a thunderstorm coming. Just had the same storm SteveB had with overhead booming thunder and biblical rain. The sky was actually green with a whales mouth. Fantastic stuff - I am happy now.

Posted

Been in the garden, I can here quite a few rumbles of thunder in the distance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Edit: just as I type, another loud bang and rumble as the sun is starting to come out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Something big around Southport according to a friend.

Posted

Been in the garden, I can here quite a few rumbles of thunder in the distance

I wasn't hearing things then! Looks like something has recently developed to our south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Awesome photos and reports being posted up today, thanks all - keep them coming biggrin.png

Fully agree with that sentiment although I have not had a chance to catch up with all of them. A very active day it seems, even judging by the latest radars and well forecast by the "powers that be".

Any chance of showing the lightning strike map later. good.gif

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Lightning activity stopped just before reaching directly overhead...but nevertheless...2 for the day. No complaints.

Posted

Any chance of showing the lightning strike map later. good.gif

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Yep, will definitely upload the days strikes later this evening :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Watch out central Bristol there's a thunderstorm coming. Just had the same storm SteveB had with overhead booming thunder and biblical rain. The sky was actually green with a whales mouth. Fantastic stuff - I am happy now.

Think that's going to go up the West side of Bristol, Avonmouth area. I'm in Keynsham at the moment now, just got back from Stroud, don't think I will get across Bristol in time with traffic etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather.

Disappointing here just 2 distant rumbles heard and a heavy shower that lasted all of 10 seconds, storms in this area at least have seemed non existant for a long time.

Edited by mattyk1985

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Today very frustrating to chase, seems everything is going up and dying just too quickly for me to get on anything. Could do with some shear or wind convergence to organise them a bit.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A few light showers here...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

should be a few happy storm fans around today, scotland joining in too. Glad i got a new memory card for my still camera.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Deceiving ATD strike plots for around Birmingham. Nothing but a solitary rumble of thunder in the distance. A mostly sunny day in all.

Indeed, on the Icelandic site youd think we had been plastered. Anything but however.

I thought I just heard some distant thunder here...can't be sure. If it was the sound was carried by the wind...might just be the wind. There is a very dark sky to the south west. We'll see.

Can't see south and east due to houses in my street mind.

Very featureless here. No dark sky and drizzle. Awfully boring day here.

Posted

Looks like this one is passing to my east towards Halesowen and Birmingham...I must be on the very west of it as the sun keeps trying to come out as it rains...no more than a few distant rumbles so far.

Posted

Think I saw a funnel that was right on the horizon to the north of Telford. There is a cell must be getting on for 20 miles away and to the SW of Stoke. Lots of scudd and a wall cloud too. By the time I got my camera it had roped out. Looked almost like a vertical column.

Posted

There's been a few spots of rain, that's all really. Things seem to just miss here, not sure if anything else is going to happen tonight?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Ye its skirting along the West of Bristol heading up the estuary towards me. Getting darker outside and just had a rumble of thunder :)

Posted

There's been a few spots of rain, that's all really. Things seem to just miss here, not sure if anything else is going to happen tonight?

Really strange..could have sworn the main part of the storm was over your way. Been some moderate rain here and a few distant rumbles as it approached and I thought they were all coming from the Halesowen direction. All I can think of is that it is a very small cell that is quickly falling apart.

Edited by Gord

Posted

Really strange..could have sworn the main part of the storm was over your way. Been some moderate rain here and a few distant rumbles as it approached and I thought they were all coming from the Halesowen direction. All I can think of is that it is a very small cell that is quickly falling apart.

There were really stormy skies just to my west not long ago but nothing here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

All the activity to the south looks to be dying now, so I think any opportunity for a storm here has totally vanished. Tomorrow looks good too.. so we'll wait and see.

Posted

Not much in the way of lightning but almost constant, crackling, aggressive sounding thunder here in east York. One cell from the SE popped up no more that 10 miles from here and merged into one moving slightly NW to the east of here. Would be interesting to be either 10 miles east or 10 miles north of my location, but I'm too hungover and lazy to chase.

Should have been playing golf today too, that would have put me right in the middle of it.

Posted

There were really stormy skies just to my west not long ago but nothing here.

Lastest radar frame confirms that it it's dying away as quickly as it popped up. Still raining here but nothing ever more than moderate. That must be one of the most short-lived storms I've seen...born in Catshill..died in Hagley!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yup, the hilly terrain of the north and west West Midlands is proving to be a real inhibitive factor on days like today. Must be some distorted thermal columns around the region, leading to convection just simply collapsing.

Can only expect the same tomorrow then. Pretty much a repeat. Perhaps winds a touch more favourable though never keen when there is a slight westerly element as im sure the Severn helps keep most of the showers either side of here.