Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012 / 2013

Summer Sun

Posted

Typical that the one winter I'll be in Spain on a year abroad, it's looking like a corker for the UK. Let's hope in reality the UK has a winter like 2006-2007 lol!

Err no lets hope not!!

What I would love is another December to 2010 followed by another January 2010 if you know what I mean!

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Err no lets hope not!!

What I would love is another December to 2010 followed by another January 2010 if you know what I mean!

How about a Hat-trick, December 10, January 87, February 91, a proper rasberry rippler.

Posted

Here is a website that could be helpful in guessing the winter when it starts giving information on the 21st

http://ukweather.wor.../winter-201213/

Interesting.... Hopefully it doesn't end up going with something along the lines of "nothing in the way of cold expected until the latter part of winter" otherwise we'll have no choice but to "hope" that things will eventually better later on which is never a good position to be in.

Posted

Absolutely no idea what will happen this winter. All I know is I cannot wait until mid November when I start checking the models on a daily basis seeking those cold spells. For me I just love the excitement that occurs on this forum when a cold spell is projected by the models and love even more the excitement of joining the regional threads when a cold spell arrives.

This winter though im going to change my approach of posting in the model discussion thread by making less posts but adding more content to my posts. I shall still carry on chasing those E,lys until the day finally arrives when another Jan 87 occurs.

I do hope we have less arguments though and appreciate everyone has different weather preferences. Another thing I would like to see is all members posting in the model discussion thread whatever their knowledge of meteorology is. Im not mentioning any names but some seem to think its reserved only for serious professionals. Many times i've read people saying they are too scared to post in the model discussion thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow

Absolutely no idea what will happen this winter. All I know is I cannot wait until mid November when I start checking the models on a daily basis seeking those cold spells. For me I just love the excitement that occurs on this forum when a cold spell is projected by the models and love even more the excitement of joining the regional threads when a cold spell arrives.

This winter though im going to change my approach of posting in the model discussion thread by making less posts but adding more content to my posts. I shall still carry on chasing those E,lys until the day finally arrives when another Jan 87 occurs.

I do hope we have less arguments though and appreciate everyone has different weather preferences. Another thing I would like to see is all members posting in the model discussion thread whatever their knowledge of meteorology is. Im not mentioning any names but some seem to think its reserved only for serious professionals. Many times i've read people saying they are too scared to post in the model discussion thread.

I would need to have more knowledge on models to even comment as I currently know nothing.

Posted

I'm starting to get addicted to reading this thread already!

We're midway through September and it's only natural to be looking forward to Winter :)

Met Office charts will be getting my full attention (mainly because they look exciting at the minute wink.png) as well as the insightful words of some of the brilliant members on this forum, look forward to your predictions!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Hi All,

Fairly new to this forum, has to be said much prefer this one over the Daily Mail one!

You disappoint me. blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

I got a feeling we could be heading for a zonal autumn, with a Greenland block starting to emerge around about mid-November time. Especially considering that last winter never got going... really.!!

Posted

smiliz39.gif

I'm starting to get addicted to reading this thread already!

We're midway through September and it's only natural to be looking forward to Winter smile.png

Met Office charts will be getting my full attention (mainly because they look exciting at the minute wink.png) as well as the insightful words of some of the brilliant members on this forum, look forward to your predictions!

i suppose lookng into winter in september is ok because winter is the most exiting sessonin my mind.

the only thing is i started looking into the winter weather in april. am i sane.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

smiliz39.gif i suppose lookng into winter in september is ok because winter is the most exiting sessonin my mind.

the only thing is i started looking into the winter weather in april. am i sane.

Yes. Winter is not only the most exciting, it is the only season worth bothering with in my eyes, im just glad i only started getting back into this game in 2009, if i had done this chasing between 1996 and 2009 it would have taken it's toll on me.

Posted

On another note the GFS seems to be continuing to hint at high pressure eventually taking charge as we enter October which would be a stark contrast to anything cool and unsettled. If it does come off (and that's still a big IF to be fair at this stage) then I sincerely hope this doesn't mean that we'll have yet another stubborn and persistent euro high which refuses to go anywhere as we all know what ended leading to last year.

Now I know that there are several other factors to consider when looking at how the early part of the winter season is likely to shape up but still....

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

I agree with robbie garret. So heres my forecast.

From october. . A zonal pattern with the majority of the weather from the north west. Brief northerly shots will see temps cold enough for frosts uk wide. Northern areas will see most of the rain and wind. The north westerly flow will see hill snow begin to accumulate the deeper we go into autumn - early winter. Something that didnt really happen last year which sucked for us boarders and skiers.

The LRF suggest an atlantic ridge this winter which i think will lead to some greenland/north atlantic blocking from late november, early december. A cold northerly flow will bring plenty of snow and bitter temps.

This HP will tilt between greenland and scandi, bringing the best of both. . .

While we my slip into some zonal patterns throughout winter, the HP blocking will nudge it out of the way and wont be easily moved until mid january at the earliest.

Ok so before anyone asks, im not a pro, or james madden lok.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I will quote the paragraph before then ms.

He reasons that in autumn, the open Arctic Ocean sheds heat to the high-latitude atmosphere. The warming tends to reduce the large-scale atmospheric-pressure gradient and weakens the dominant westerly winds in the Northern Hemisphere. Those winds normally sweep warm, moist Atlantic air to western Europe; their weakening leaves the region more prone to persistent cold.

Yes as a whole the article reads better, as somewhere in mid to high lats always get a cold winter as MS says.

BFTP

Posted

I would need to have more knowledge on models to even comment as I currently know nothing.

No E W you don't and you can always ask for help, but with a basic knowledge of High Pressure [clockwise circulation] and Low Pressure [anti-clockwise circulation] you'll easily get through. Just post what you see and if in doubt just ask, as although it gets like a bear pit sometimes there's always plenty of helpful folk in there....and they'll be obvious.

BFTP

Posted

Since the tep is currently lower then average this means we could be in with a chance at a freezing winter. also dident the snow start in November 2009 so if it is going to be a winter like the 2009/10 then shouldn't we start seeing signs in October.

Posted

No E W you don't and you can always ask for help, but with a basic knowledge of High Pressure [clockwise circulation] and Low Pressure [anti-clockwise circulation] you'll easily get through. Just post what you see and if in doubt just ask, as although it gets like a bear pit sometimes there's always plenty of helpful folk in there....and they'll be obvious.

BFTP

You are defiantly one of the friendly helpful ones.biggrin.png

Posted

Since the tep is currently lower then average this means we could be in with a chance at a freezing winter. also dident the snow start in November 2009 so if it is going to be a winter like the 2009/10 then shouldn't we start seeing signs in October.

No, there is no proven link to cool/cold autumn bringing a cold winter. It can lead to one and it also doesn't. Nov 2010 was pretty mild until the dramatic turn of events last 3rd of the month. Probably the best model watching for me this century........

BFTP

You are defiantly one of the friendly helpful ones.biggrin.png

Thanks, and there's plenty on these pages too...you'll be fine

BFTP

Posted

smiliz39.gif i suppose lookng into winter in september is ok because winter is the most exiting sessonin my mind.

Errrrrm April is probably a bit early wink.png I like to enjoy the summer first, which has been superb for storms in my area, but not so much for heatwaves... I enjoy every season in its own way, i'm looking forward to the big low pressure systems this Autumn, and the temperatures slowly getting colder and colder :) And maybe an indian summer thrown in for laughs?

And then by all means as Mid November hits i'll be looking North and West for a Greenie High to start our Winter off with a bang!

Posted

Errrrrm April is probably a bit early wink.png I like to enjoy the summer first, which has been superb for storms in my area, but not so much for heatwaves... I enjoy every season in its own way, i'm looking forward to the big low pressure systems this Autumn, and the temperatures slowly getting colder and colder smile.png And maybe an indian summer thrown in for laughs?

And then by all means as Mid November hits i'll be looking North and West for a Greenie High to start our Winter off with a bang!

I suppose I was very bored when Looking to see if there would be a white christmas in Aprillazy.gif

Posted

Forecasters in Denmark/Sweden are predicting a colder than average winter.... I do reckon this year will be cooler and snowier than the last winter..... We shall see.... Here's hoping for some decent northern blocking!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

My mind has just gone blank was it high or low pressure for snowdoh.gif

Low Pressure will bring you snow if the temperature is right.

Edited by Mark 'Ox' Neal

Posted

My mind has just gone blank was it high or low pressure for snowdoh.gif

Not that simple but low pressure brings the weather fronts and general precipitation.

BFTP

Forecasters in Denmark/Sweden are predicting a colder than average winter.... I do reckon this year will be cooler and snowier than the last winter..... We shall see.... Here's hoping for some decent northern blocking!

You got a link to that?

BFTP