Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012 / 2013

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

i do largely agree with u. However, this time last year there really wasnt the level of positivity that is currently occuring. there were lots of conflicting signals. this year the weak el nino, and forecasted -qbo, low solar activity, sea ice extent etc etc are all pointing in one direction.

Of course its way too early and i'm trying very hard not to get excited but i gotta admit i'm very much encourgaed despite it being so early in Autumn.

if i just jinxed the whole of winter i'm sorry!!

If this winter turns out mild you'll never hear the end of it - you will be permanently banned form this forum.

Posted

That forecast from Accuweather definetly looks "El Nino" driven, but I would urge caution on this because as I explain in my video El Nino just doesn't see to be getting going this year.

Theres still time for it to develop, but if it carries on as it is we'll be looking at an ENSO neutral winter most likely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

I'm trying to figure how you can have a zone of below normal snowfall and above average temperatures over an area of above normal snowfall?

If u look at the pressure chart that went with the forecast it looks like perhaps they think the area u mention will be too close to the high pressure to allow for that much snow. At the same time locking in the cold snowier weather further south.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me!

Edited by Suburban Streamer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

That forecast from Accuweather definetly looks "El Nino" driven, but I would urge caution on this because as I explain in my video El Nino just doesn't see to be getting going this year.

Theres still time for it to develop, but if it carries on as it is we'll be looking at an ENSO neutral winter most likely.

Is ENSO neutral the best state for Northern blocking in wintertime, it certainly is from the research i did on the NOAA compositing site last winter,

admittedly not a huge amount of research or massively scientific though, please tell me there is no way we could have another Nina winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Lots of cold signals being mentioned.

What opposite signals are there also currently in play which could point towards a milder winter?

UK?

BFTP

Posted

grief-15 pages in less than a week about something that even the most expert has no real idea about-the latest model outputs but come on folks, by all means enjoy the build up, but for gawds sake look at the credit rating of anything so far produced. By that I mean search back over the last 5 winters and see how many times anyone, centre or individual got it right.

Show me one with it correct 4 times out of 5 and you/they could be on to something.

But enjoy it-it makes for entertaining reading!

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

UK?

BFTP

Does seem to be a big factor as well as LOW LYING, COASTAL seem to have an effect as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

as far as i know everyone on this thread is participating for kicks, noones trying to take it seriously, quite the opposite. whats the harm if people enjoy it? noones forced to read or participate if the find the thread particularly annoying or unhelpful are they? dont really understand why people get so wound up i honestly dont

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I'm trying to figure how you can have a zone of below normal snowfall and above average temperatures over an area of above normal snowfall?

i would suggest a WSW component that brings alot snow across the central Rockies...Colorado etc..leading to drying and warming winds to the lee of the mountains ie across the midwest and border states leading to higher temperatures and less snow in those areas.

Posted

Only 6 weeks away aswell! blum.gif

Yep, late October 2008 springs to mind, from memory a similar setup, a full on cold spell showing if you fast forward to december with a Nice HP to the North east, November / December 2010 anyone ???

Your on the Daily Mail Winter xxxx bad like xxxx thread are you not Barry?

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I was on that thread too.. totally ridiculous and insane amounts of ramping. Jolly good fun though!

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

I know the CFS out performs all the other global models at the 6 week range.. It's a dead cert. Nailded on to varify.

Verification at +1008 hours = 84%.

Posted

I was on that thread too.. totally ridiculous and insane amounts of ramping. Jolly good fun though!

Problem with that thread is there is too much bickering, i like the liberal approach to moderation but there is no need for some of the personal abuse thats on there, the main problem though is that you cant post after 7 0clock at night can you, so been as the ECM 12, ECM ens, GFS 18z and 2230 fax chart are still to come then you really need to be able to post, i suppose weather is not one of the main concerns of the DM though, i suppose the political debate is king over there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Belting first half of November on this CFS run.

http://www.meteociel...=0&mode=0&run=0

That run is very "a la 2010". Great finish to Autumn and start to winter with very cold weather and some snowfall, but a big bust in January& February.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

This thread already picking up love it! Winters Coming....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

i suppose weather is not one of the main concerns of the DM though

True....and neither is the news :p

Posted

True....and neither is the news blum.gif

Still the best tabloid though, not quite as sensationalist as the red tops but still with strong views on important matters and less emphasis on celebraties, or at least for the first 10 pages anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Whereabouts in Spain are you going? If there's a sinking Scandinavian High you could be in business.

I'm going to be in Australia so definitely no snow for me. At least I'll get to experience a proper summer though (I've almost forgotten what that feels like).

Fair enough.

I'll be in Madrid. What are the chances though? Sure, Madrid is cold at night during the winter but apparently it takes something exceptional to get snow there.