Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012 / 2013

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

Fair enough.

I'll be in Madrid. What are the chances though? Sure, Madrid is cold at night during the winter but apparently it takes something exceptional to get snow there.

While its not common it does happen. I think it was 2009 wen snow shut the airport there.

So keep your fingers crossed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

It snowed in Madrid in 2010 it appears

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I know the CFS out performs all the other global models at the 6 week range.. It's a dead cert. Nailded on to varify.

Verification at +1008 hours = 84%.

My prediction for the first 'nailed' to appear on Netweather was 8th October what do I know ? , already going wrong sorry.gif . Although Nailded might get me off

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

This thread makes me laugh. I love it! I love that we all are desperate for snow and cold. I love the fact that snow makes children out of all of us no matter what our ages.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

This thread makes me laugh. I love it! I love that we all are desperate for snow and cold. I love the fact that snow makes children out of all of us no matter what our ages.

im not desperate for snow and cold..you can stick up your #*?#....blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Definitely. Even though its months away its great to see the banter so early on. With the weather being rather boring at the mo, this place gives you your fix of excitement (it does for me anyway).... long may it continue!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer

God almighty I'm getting excited about winter already! I love these long, anticipating threads leading up to winter, really fills you with a love for the season. :) Even if it doesn't snow its still nice going onto forums like these, watching each model, looking out for any snow or cold. :)

I have no idea what this winter will be like, but my gut tells me it will be average. Don't take my word for it, and with all these positive signs at the moment, I would love to be proved wrong. :D

Posted

Oh well as anything goes here I'l promote the good old original snow-watchw00t.gif I've got a feeling winter forums will be busy this year. www.snow-watch.co.uk

Probably get a ticking off OON now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer

Lots of cold signals being mentioned.

What opposite signals are there also currently in play which could point towards a milder winter?

Not really sure. I think there was originally a forecast for Positive NAO, which would point to a more zonal, westerly winter, but it seems to be up in the air at the moment. Many of the key signs, such as ice melt and a week El Niño/ENSO neutral, potentially point towards a cold winter.

Bear in mind it is potential. A lot can change in 2 and a half months.

Posted

I have no idea what this winter will be like, but my gut tells me it will be average. Don't take my word for it, and with all these positive signs at the moment, I would love to be proved wrong. biggrin.png

An average winter would still be better than anything we saw last year lol

Edited by Anonymous21

Very exciting build up this year- much anticipated & high expectations-

Just remember though High pressure over greenland isnt the ONLY thing that delivers snow- equally a small wedge of +VE pressure up to iceland- enough to halt the atlantic & slige small shortwaves underneath can often be the best- a la dec 78-

heres what I mean on tonights 12z CFS

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfse_cartes.php?ech=3312&mode=0&carte=0&run=0

\d

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Very exciting build up this year- much anticipated & high expectations-

Just remember though High pressure over greenland isnt the ONLY thing that delivers snow- equally a small wedge of +VE pressure up to iceland- enough to halt the atlantic & slige small shortwaves underneath can often be the best- a la dec 78-

heres what I mean on tonights 12z CFS

http://www.meteociel...0&carte=0&run=0

\d

Actually Steve......that's close to perfection

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

We have had more snow here in Evesham Worcestershire, in the last 5 years than we have had in the last nearly two decades! Certainly something is happening, contrary to Cimate change we are entering a new change in our climate and not one which the media and goverment spins everyday!!!aggressive.gifaggressive.gifaggressive.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Monday 17th September and slider lows are on the go - vintage hype !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

We have had more snow here in Evesham Worcestershire, in the last 5 years than we have had in the last nearly two decades! Certainly something is happening, contrary to Cimate change we are entering a new change in our climate and not one which the media and goverment spins everyday!!!aggressive.gifaggressive.gifaggressive.gif

Yes i left the midlands in 2007 and the last good winter before that was 1996, sods law though there have been some belters since then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Yep, late October 2008 springs to mind, from memory a similar setup, a full on cold spell showing if you fast forward to december with a Nice HP to the North east, November / December 2010 anyone ???

Your on the Daily Mail Winter xxxx bad like xxxx thread are you not Barry?

I am, although the title has changed. Hope I'm allowed to share it blum.gifhttp://boards.dailymail.co.uk/news-board-moderated/10243047-uk-ireland-spring-summer-winter-2012-2013-a.html

Edited by Barry95

Posted

http://modeles.meteo...52-3-29-0-0.png

nearly blast- this is perfection ................ ohmy.png

Thats got to be just about the best chart i have ever seen, a full on blizzard with severe gales for the south i would have thought, don't know what the 850hpa temps were.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Yes i left the midlands in 2007 and the last good winter before that was 1996, sods law though there have been some belters since then.

Yeah I left Worcester in 2003 and have missed many storms and decent snow events since. Especially the 2010/11 one.

Posted

Actually Steve......that's close to perfection

BFTP

Looks mostly quite mild/zonal on that link to me? Maybe high to the east but it doesn't halt the Atlantic. Unless my computer is showing me the wrong run somehow?

I love snow and frost and all that, but sometimes think things get rather extatic for the type of winters we usually get in this country here. Down here we may only get a couple of minor snowfalls,or less sometime, in most years (Jan+Dec 2010 an exception recently), that's a bit like like getting excited in March over two days of summer sometime in June-August. Although granted many places may get a bit more than that, and it can be special when it does happen.

Really sorry but I'm gunna have to disagree rather on this one, not sure how a few colder winters here (last winter was mild mainly) means we are definitely entering a new climate era and it definitely dis-proves global warming etc (I can't even remember when I last saw an article on it in the media), especially if a chain of many mild winters for 20 years or so didn't prove anything! (certainly didn't mean cold winters couldn't happen now). Probably just random coincidence and maybe some natural cycles like solar cycles, too complex to tell really.

We had more snow here than that time frame too but that wasn't hard as many previous years just gave a dusting and it only took one 25cm+ dump in December 2010 and some more the previous Jan to do it..

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

In relation to perfection, having a look at when that occurred.. a few spikes in the period 51-58, that was on a major upward one.

post-7292-0-32695600-1347911453_thumb.pn

Posted

I am, although the title has changed. Hope I'm allowed to share it blum.gifhttp://boards.dailym...012-2013-a.html

Yes the whole site looks to have changed, i might join some other ones although this one still the best, i am really looking forward to this one.

Posted

Oooh that looks lovely! Of all weather patterns for my location, this is by far the best. Snow showers feeding from the sea off an easterly airflow, combined with tight isobars, blizzard-like conditions perhaps! :D :D

Posted

Looks mostly quite mild/zonal on that link to me? Maybe high to the east but it doesn't halt the Atlantic. Unless my computer is showing me the wrong run somehow?

sorry SM but you are wrong on that - a screaming blizzard with upper below -4c and thicknesses in the low thirties with a continental flow. didnt last too long though with the atlantic moving in a few days later. (it was march after all)