Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012 / 2013 Part 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

I normally find the earlier shops sell off seasonal goods the greater chance of extreme weather.

Happened to me in 2003. July was a washout here. Popped in homebase and they were selling desk fans for £3 (bargain) reduced from £18 picked up 2 and then we had the full on heatwave!

November 2010. B&Q flogging off sledges cheap think I paid £4 for one that was £12 originally. And we all know what happened early December 2010!

Maybe a good sign lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Last year was a bitter disappointment here with no snow.

Lets hope for a taste of what we had 2009 or 2010

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/13247-view-from-my-bedroom/

Edited by Marcus_surfer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

Hmm. I wonder where he got that from.....

Further discussion on linked papers there as well!

Thanks chiono I had missed that.

Tut tut to matt Hugo for not linking to netweathers strat thread....

Posted
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.
  • Weather Preferences: Variety, Warm Sunny days, low temperatures some snow, thunderstorms
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.

There's been much more spiders this year than last coming in our house - not sure if they know something we don't haha

Posted

Not sure why there is so much excitement over a blocking high to our northeast developing in mid October, way too early for cold snowy easterlies, from mid November much better .

You are of course correct, but it will help build up a cold pool for us to tap into.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Last year was a bitter disappointment here with no snow.

Lets hope for a taste of what we had 2009 or 2010

We had 15cm in 24 hours in February this year. Such snowfall in 24 hours has been rare this last decade, and we only got near a foot of snow in December 2010 due to repeated snowfalls over a period of time.

There's been much more spiders this year than last coming in our house - not sure if they know something we don't haha

Not here - we have escaped the spider invasion with only little ones spotted.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I remember an exceptionally cold end to 2001, and start of 2002, but was snowless here, inversion stuff still good though,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Virgins

@MAttHugo81

Latest ECMWF seasonal update is out & for D/J/F the overall pattern would lead to more of a +NAO pattern & little risk of a colder scenario

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

@MAttHugo81

Latest ECMWF seasonal update is out & for D/J/F the overall pattern would lead to more of a +NAO pattern & little risk of a colder scenario

After all this cold talk this would put a damper on things, all the coldies will just have to hope the ECMWF seasonal update is wrong

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

@MAttHugo81

@MAttHugo81

tbh this is what I was expecting and it given the law of averages it really would not surprise if that ends being the case.

This is based on pure gut feeling and nothing more so please don't hate on me lol

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

From joy and tribulation to doom and gloom within a few hours, this is why I come back every day because the mood changes on a daily basis. and it makes me laugh.

WINTER IS OVER, ROLL ON SPRING!!! rolleyes.gif

Edited by Perfect Storm

Posted

Here's some food for thought

Which of these winters had a -ve NAO and which had a +ve NAO?

1990-91 and 1997-98

Answers

1990-91 was +ve and 1997-98 was - ve

Just shows NAO is not the be all end all for cold weather.

ftp://ftp.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wd52dg/data/indices/nao_index.tim

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

@MAttHugo81

It must be an outlier! Or is it just responding to the bias of its 'warmist' programmers? laugh.png

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

We had 15cm in 24 hours in February this year. Such snowfall in 24 hours has been rare this last decade, and we only got near a foot of snow in December 2010 due to repeated snowfalls over a period of time.

Not here - we have escaped the spider invasion with only little ones spotted.

Fell in 8 hours i believe (1-9) though the first half was crap, the latter half seemed to be on steriods. Even got in the 5-10cm range in the city centre.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

From joy and tribulation to doom and gloom within a few hours, this is why I come back every day because the mood changes on a daily basis. and it makes me laugh.

WINTER IS OVER, ROLL ON SPRING!!! rolleyes.gif

Can't be, madden said it would be cold!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

The news that the long range ECMWF has gone for mild is a big fly in the ointment for those wanting a cold winter; trust me. The resolution of this particular model via recent upgrades etc is second to none, so I believe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

This is a quote from Matt Hugo made in the Strat thread of NW a day or two ago;

"The ECMWF seasonal model will be updated in the next few days for October, something which is always worth a look. I'll summarise its output when it becomes available, but to be frank it's failed miserably at times over the last few years, so I'm not a big fan despite it's quite impressive stature in terms of resolution given recent upgrades over the least 6 to 12 months."

Make what you want of that. I'm viewing it as just another possible outcome amongst many at this very early stage. No one or nothing knows what the weather will be like in months ahead, especially in any detail, hence why other models, such as the Meto probability charts and in some respect, the CFS are going for different evolutions. Something's got to give, they all can't be right.

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

The news that the long range ECMWF has gone for mild is a big fly in the ointment for those wanting a cold winter; trust me. The resolution of this particular model via recent upgrades etc is second to none, so I believe.

Lets hope that just like most computer upgrades and software updates it is just very bugy unreliable! rofl.gif

A second poor winter in a row with only a handful of snow days would be terrible! lazy.gif

Posted

But he also said:

High pressure is in abundance, but there's a -ve anom near Greenland, whilst pressure is higher to the W & SW. Conflicting signals as usual.

So no crisis, yet... rofl.gif

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Will be interesting too see what the met forecast charts say when they are updated later this month.

Edited by Barry95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer

After all this cold talk this would put a damper on things, all the coldies will just have to hope the ECMWF seasonal update is wrong

Calm down, it's only October. There are several other long range models to take into consideration, unless that gets in the way of cherry-picking.

Long range models are, in my opinion, not to be relied on anyway. I think their only real purpose is to get people in the mood for the coming season. In terms if weather forecasting, they can be very unreliable.