Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012 / 2013 Part 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

That's what annoys me about the tabloid newspapers (unopposed to the rest of the rubbish they publish), they claim blizzards are on the way every year even when it's forecast snow tomorrow, but in fact it's almost never blizzards in their real classification.

I'm sure if there was a true blizzard in a low lying city location it would cause some havoc.

I wonder when the last 'proper' blizzard hit populated low lying areas? I have seen a few over the years over the hills but could you imagine what would happen if places like bristol, london etc got real blizzards with drifting in strong winds?!

Can see the daily mail headline now.... The Arctic strikes back! with Day after tommorrow picture in background! rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

From Wiki

To be a blizzard, a snow storm must have sustained winds or frequent gusts that are greater than or equal to 56 km/h (35 mph) with blowing or drifting snow which reduces visibility to 400 meters or a quarter mile or less and must last for a prolonged period of time — typically three hours or more

Using this definition, many low-lying areas may never have blizzards, with only high ground having frequent blizzards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It's amazing just how daft some definitions really are?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Is it going to snow in Bristol on January 16th, during the day please?

;)

Posted

Definitions have to exist - we could call a blizzard a snow shower with a gusty wind if we wanted to.

Posted

Definitions have to exist - we could call a blizzard a snow shower with a gusty wind if we wanted to.

Of course they do, mate. But if I'd just experienced a 25cm fall of snow, at -5C and with a force 8 gale (that 'only' lasted for 179 minutes!) what the heck would I call it? A flurry? A heavy flurry? A severely heavy windy flurry? A Yamkin?laugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Of course they do, mate. But if I'd just experienced a 25cm fall of snow, at -5C and with a force 8 gale (that 'only' lasted for 179 minutes!) what the heck would I call it? A flurry? A heavy flurry? A severely heavy windy flurry? A Yamkin?laugh.png

A blizzard like flurry?

Posted

I think you would be correct Pete and for those still unsure just go to the Met O site and find the official definition of a blizzard for the UK. Indeed it may be world wide under the direction of WMO (World Met Organisation) not sure about that.

Posted

It's amazing just how daft some definitions really are?

I agree, but wouldn't it be nice to say you've experienced a true blizzard? I suppose you'd have to stand in it for 'at least 3 hours' as well though hahahah

Posted

the official met office definitions for heavy snow, blizzards and severe blizzards are given below.

You will note that blizzard has no time scale but refer to heavy snow, it would seem that is two hours.

Heavy snow

Snow falling at a rate of 2 cm/hour or more expected for at least two hours.

• Increased journey times

• Minor accidents

Very heavy snow

Snow falling at a rate of 2 cm/hour or more expected for at least two hours, accumulating to 15 cm or more.

• Local routes impassable

• Local loss of power and telecommunication lines

Blizzard

Moderate or heavy snow accompanied by winds of 30 m.p.h. or more, with visibility reduced to 200 m or less; or drifting snow giving rise to similar conditions.

• Major routes impassable

Severe blizzard

Heavy Snow accompanied by winds of 30 m.p.h. or more, reducing visibility to near zero.

• Transport infrastructure paralysed

• Regional loss of power and communication lines

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Under the Met Office definition, a blizzard is probably even less likely..

Posted

Give me a 12 hours snowstorm anyday,besides any snowfall in this country is a bonus. with a snowstorm clearing the roads is a lot easier(I think) than the possible 10 foot drifts a full blizzard can produce. Living at 200 feet above sea level here I can remember but one true blizzard (and even then the temperature was around -1c throughout) and this occured in mid-March 1979 giving us a huge fall with deep drifting over a period of 12 hours and it kept snowing for a further 12 hours after that. My garage which is about 10 to 12 feet high had a drift going over the top into the back garden.

Posted

the official met office definitions for heavy snow, blizzards and severe blizzards are given below.

You will note that blizzard has no time scale but refer to heavy snow, it would seem that is two hours.

Heavy snow

Snow falling at a rate of 2 cm/hour or more expected for at least two hours.

• Increased journey times

• Minor accidents

Very heavy snow

Snow falling at a rate of 2 cm/hour or more expected for at least two hours, accumulating to 15 cm or more.

• Local routes impassable

Blizzard

Moderate or heavy snow accompanied by winds of 30 m.p.h. or more, with visibility reduced to 200 m or less; or drifting snow giving rise to similar conditions.

• Major routes impassable

Severe blizzard

Heavy Snow accompanied by winds of 30 m.p.h. or more, reducing visibility to near zero.

• Transport infrastructure paralysed

• Regional loss of power and communication lines

Thanks for that, John. It means I've seen both 'blizzards' and 'severe blizzards'...January 1982, February 1979, February 2001 and December 1995 instantly spring to mind!

Posted

I don't see torrential thunder snow on that list from met office....

Rare but impressive sight drinks.gif

Posted

Thanks for that, John. It means I've seen both 'blizzards' and 'severe blizzards'...January 1982, February 1979, February 2001 and December 1995 instantly spring to mind!

I guess we're overdue one then smile.png

Posted

I don't see torrential thunder snow on that list from met office....

Rare but impressive sight drinks.gif

Not sure snow could ever be called 'torrential'. I think that word can only describe ppt in liquid form.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Give me a 12 hours snowstorm anyday,besides any snowfall in this country is a bonus. with a snowstorm clearing the roads is a lot easier(I think) than the possible 10 foot drifts a full blizzard can produce. Living at 200 feet above sea level here I can remember but one true blizzard (and even then the temperature was around -1c throughout) and this occured in mid-March 1979 giving us a huge fall with deep drifting over a period of 12 hours and it kept snowing for a further 12 hours after that. My garage which is about 10 to 12 feet high had a drift going over the top into the back garden.

It sounds like you live/lived in the west country from your detailed description, but I haven't clue which county your location is in?

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Not sure snow could ever be called 'torrential'. I think that word can only describe ppt in liquid form.

I always assumed it was mm per hour sort of thing.

So what do you call very very heavy snow that dumps like 4cm + an hour then when you have no wind?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I suspect that most have us have seen the very heavy snow almost nobody in the last 20 years has experienced a blizzard by Met Office definitions in an urban environment.

Posted

I always assumed it was mm per hour sort of thing.

So what do you call very very heavy snow that dumps like 4cm + an hour then when you have no wind?

Exactly what you just called it I suppose.... very very heavy snowgood.gif

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I've seen thousands of blizzards........

........called by netweather members every year when it snows!

Posted

What locations? (are they urban and low ground or did you get any benefit)?

Posted

1979 and '82 were in MK, both had near zero visibility at times...The others were way up in the Scottish Highlands, NW of The Great Glen.