Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heavy Rain, Flooding, High Winds - 21st November onward

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Not very professional looking I'm afraid, but this chart shows the estimated max gust potential from this storm system, a wild night ahead folks! The strongest winds expected after midnight and peaking between 3am to 9am and obviously strongest nearest to the coasts and headlands.

post-9615-0-36490000-1353787281_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Not very professional looking I'm afraid, but this chart shows the estimated max gust potential from this storm system, a wild night ahead folks! The strongest winds expected after midnight and peaking between 3am to 9am and obviously strongest nearest to the coasts and headlands.

That chart is just....beautiful cray.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Just inside the 75 mph bit, Liam.

Posted

Just inside the 75 mph bit, Liam.

Extremely strong winds as the depression exits into the north sea tomorrow morning, perhaps the odd gust a bit higher than 75mph on the north Norfolk coast. Hold onto your hat, Pete! help.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Hi all

Wind starting to pick up here now - recent report of a 73mph gust in NW France (Chemoulin) and check out the data from the Channel Light Vessel, noticeably the pressure drop in the last 3 hours:

Edited by Fitzwis

Posted

That chart is just....beautiful cray.gif

Well It has bright colours and I'm sure even at your age you can read numbers? rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Wind speeds around 30mph over the Channel with higher gusts but the real strength will come when the winds veer to the SW then Westerly later this evening and overnight. Severe westerly gales through the Channel for a time.

http://www.xcweather...GB/observations

Winds look stronger off the East Anglian coast than the channel....a MEAN speed of 58mph for Buoy 62142 is being forecast.

These sorts of winds are quite rare for East Anglia. If we do see anything like the gust being forecast, then there could be quite a few trees down in the morning around these parts. The last time we had gusts approaching 70mph was over 10 years ago.

Edited by suffolkboy_

Posted

Winds look stronger off the East Anglian coast than the channel....a MEAN speed of 58mph for Buoy 62142 is being forecast.

These sorts of winds are quite rare for East Anglia. If we do see anything like the gust being forecast, then there could be quite a few trees down in the morning around these parts. The last time we had gusts approaching 70mph was over 10 years ago.

Mean speeds through the channel being progged around 47-51mph and, as you mention close to 60mph off the EA coast. I would certainly be prepared for some disruption due to wind damage - Trees uprooted, branches off, minor structural damage etc.... (if it was a weekday) The mornings rush hour would be very hazardous indeed, even some inland locations can expect severe gale force 9 mean speeds, like Weybourne & Great Yarmouth for example.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Mean speeds through the channel being progged around 47-51mph and, as you mention close to 60mph off the EA coast. I would certainly be prepared for some disruption due to wind damage - Trees uprooted, branches off, minor structural damage etc.... The mornings rush hour could be very hazardous indeed, even some inland locations can expect severe gale force 9 mean speeds, like Weybourne & Great Yarmouth for example.

I wouldn't really class either Weybourne or Great Yarmouth as inland....they both are on the sea!

U mention rush hour; being a Sunday ofcourse it shouldn't have too much inpact....well, not as much as a Monday morning!

Posted

The Metoffice warning for wind has just been revised at 20:39......now covers a larger area (more inland) and talks of 70mph gusts maybe inland for East Anglia.....interesting night ahead. This may have been under emphasised a little because of the focus on the flooding int he South West!

Posted

I wouldn't really class either Weybourne or Great Yarmouth as inland....they both are on the sea!

U mention rush hour; being a Sunday ofcourse it shouldn't have too much inpact....well, not as much as a Monday morning!

LOL Sat here wishing my life away thinking it's Monday tomorrow as I'm off Tuesdays, better not have any more cider.... smile.png

They may be by the sea but winds will be offshore, a westerly wind over land - I hope nobody is stupid enough to be stood near to the sea tomorrow......

Netweather alert which was issued this morning, incase you didn't see it - http://www.netweathe...944f2e04eaba5ed

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Been at work since 12:30 and just came home about half-an-hour ago, and I'm lucky to say I missed the worst of the weather going to and from work. It went very dark (almost night-time black) in Falmouth as early as 3:30pm, and the rain has been absolutely torrential and non-stop. Right now all I can hear is heavy gusts of wind and my neighbour's guttering unable to deal with the rain. It's actually quite nice and enjoyable to watch where I am, up on a hill, but I feel sorry for anyone who's on relatively flat ground in Cornwall right now!

For those in areas prone to flooding, keep safe!

Posted

not a breeze or a drop of rain here. What scare mongering yet again

Hi Debby, you can expect conditions to deteriorate after midnight and the worst weather from roughly 3am onwards as the westerly wind quickly strengthens.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Funny how we are getting all this rain and the closest river to me its river level is falling?

There's generally a lag time from when the rain falls, to it all collecting in catchment areas from surrounding hills as it adds together towards river systems. Not certain, but I'm assuming early tomorrow morning is when it'll be at its worst for most of the SW.

However, obviously there is surface flooding pretty much from the word go when the rain is persistent and heavy (currently torrential where I am right now) - especially if the ground is waterlogged, such as it is now.

not a breeze or a drop of rain here. What scare mongering yet again

I don't know what forecasters have really been saying for your area - but I can assure you it is already getting pretty bad down in the SW of England and also deteriorating quite rapidly where I live in the W Country.

Edited by Chris K

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

a noticable increase in the wind here now - my 8 year old daughters eyes pop out of her head when she hears the howl around the house :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

There's generally a lag time from when the rain falls to it all collecting in catchment areas from surrounding hills as it adds together towards river systems. Not certain, but I'm assuming early tomorrow morning is when it'll be at its worst for most of the SW.

However obviously there is surface flooding pretty much from the word go when the rain is heavy (currently torrential where I am right now) - especially if the ground is waterlogged, such as it is now.

Thanks Chrisgood.gif

Posted

Some very heavy rain just to the south of coventry on the latest radar image. As for here mostly light rain with 5mm so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Stone me, it's lashed it down here tonight!.....absolutely torrential rain, almost certainly going to be further flooding in the Wilts/Somerset/Gloucestershire regions