Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Northern Lincs Regional Thread

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

After a short lull, it's just starting up here again. Slight covering on cars, but just too wet on other surfaces.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

what would it mean for us if it is a trough? sorry im new to all this lol

there are many sites that can give you data on troughs

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/guide/key.html#pressure

what it means is enhanced presipitation/disturbance in the air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms

Convection looks to be dying out now. I have a feeling next week is going to be a bit of a let down to be honest. A lot of hype. In the end, the weather will do what the weather wants. Spend more time looking for the beginning / end of a cold spell than actually enjoying the cold spell and snow when it arrives.

i had that feeling too, but the snow we have had here, was not forecast, so how can next week be forecast with any confidence when they cant forecast hours in front correctly

there are many sites that can give you data on troughs

http://www.metoffice...y.html#pressure

what it means is enhanced presipitation/disturbance in the air.

Posted

Surprised by all these rain reports, especially in Chesterfield of all places!

yes,unbelievable concidering it's just down the road from me(rotherham),still snowing here,maybe elevation is the key at the moment.

Si

Edited by allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Just thought I'd mention - latest BBC forecast shows heavy snow for all of our region, NO rain.

Posted

No troughs, just convection.

thanks for clearing that up Aaron.

Si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Just thought I'd mention - latest BBC forecast shows heavy snow for all of our region, NO rain.

We all know who to lynch if it goes wrong now rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms

right, im off to bed now, my eyes are stinging, cant last any longer lol, still snowing here, although very lightly, g'night all, and fingers crossed for upgrades in the morning :)

Posted

thanks for clearing that up Aaron.

Si

No problem!

We all know who to lynch if it goes wrong now rofl.gif

I'm just the messenger. help.gif

Time for bed now though, not sure a few snow flurries are worth staying up for. lazy.gif

Edited by Aaron

Posted

still one to watch though Aaron,we have been here many times before and been let down,keeping level headed at the mo.

though,there are two fronts heading SE later sunday night and on monday,the first will def be of snow but it's the other front i am not so sure of,we will find out tomorrow in regards of snow potential,good luck peeps,off for now.

Si

Si

Posted

right, im off to bed now, my eyes are stinging, cant last any longer lol, still snowing here, although very lightly, g'night all, and fingers crossed for upgrades in the morning smile.png

got plenty crossed at the minute including my mrs lol,goodnight SF.

sI

EDIT:enhanced ppn at the mo from the east,hopes to wake up white in the morning.smile.png

Edited by allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Goodnight to those off to the and of nod. Might just have another 20 mins lampost watching then turn in myself

Edited by paul m

Posted

Might just have another 20 mins lampost watching then turn in myself

hey,you just like me,i cannot resist while it's falling,what a beautiful sight to the end of misery that we have had so far this winter and let it continue for the next six weeks,which in turn might happern with the strat warming and other peices of the puzzle coming togeather

Si

Posted

A bit of a disappointment overnight as it has remained too mild for snow here and now the showers have died off as it has turned calm. Today should see a band of precipitation move down from the North-west and hit during the afternoon or evening. Upper air looks favourable but you never know in these setups:

post-2418-0-24520000-1358055026_thumb.pn

After that it turns cold and frosty overnight and another band moves down from the North-west on Monday morning, this one is associated with a wedge of milder upper air, but as the colder air races in behind and this 'wedge' closes theres a good chance of snow in places.

post-2418-0-97582900-1358055171_thumb.pnpost-2418-0-33948300-1358055190_thumb.pn

It'll be a case of radar watching and seeing if temperatures are favourable at the time for this one, the second band is pretty marginal but with a north-westerly rather than onshore breeze from the North Sea it might be enough to deliver even at sea level. Altitude will definitely increase your chances as always.

Posted

Morning...

GFS looks worrying for western areas, but for E Yorks and Lincs, looks great. I see NMM also shows a warm sector, really hope it buggers off soon, or that the models are overestimating the prominence of it.

Still, NAE looks brilliant for snow, BBC forecasts continue to show snow throughout, as do Met Office forecasts.. so it's a case of wait and see. Not long to go now before the first band arrives.

meteogram.png

meteogram.png

meteogram.png

13011400_1300.gif

13011412_1300.gif

13011418_1300.gif

NAE shows no warm sector at all and shows cold uppers throughout. Who will be right I wonder?

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Had a slight covering during the wee hours around a cm at a guess, not sure what will be falling later this afternoon, looks marginal more esp the second band tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

Woke up to really fine snow dust falling.. -0.4 currently

Posted

Breakfast weather seemed more confident of both bands being of snow for our region. Dodgy for more southern and western areas but should be ok for Yorkshire! Suppose it will be a case of wait and see. The first band looks like coming through a bit earlier than was previously progged.

Posted

Is that the band currently over Scotland? I looked at that on the radar earlier.. The stuff coming off yorkshire coast just grazed us before it died

Posted

Is that the band currently over Scotland? I looked at that on the radar earlier.. The stuff coming off yorkshire coast just grazed us before it died

Yes, thats the band. Its worth keeping an eye on for our part of the world later on

Posted

Thanks. I hoped that it would work its way down. Going to be a day of nail biting radar watching :)

Posted

Cracking showers overnight. Shame they were mainly sleet! Hail woke me up a couple of times crashing on the roof for me to peek out the window but nothing laying.

Just the wrong side of freezing at 0.7C with Dew point 0.6C.

Just seen the BBC forecast which shows no rain at all tomorrow for our region! I do hope they're right! MO site forecast still shows snow to rain event for us but heavy snow showers packing behind on Tuesday and Wednesday.

smile.png

Wish that piggin BBC news presenter would stop her wittering and whining about the cold forecast! Very annoying!

Edited by PMPhotography

Posted

Is it possible to post in here due to the fact there is no South Lincs room, I anticipate that later today and overnight us wee folk down Sleaford / Boston way will have plenty to write about.

LO

Posted

Nothing really to report from Grimsby at the moment. We have a covering on cars and a tiny but on the grass but thats about it. Current temperatures are around 0 including the dew points. Im not sure how much snow to expect tonight and tomorrow but an inch or two would be very welcome.

Posted

Is it possible to post in here due to the fact there is no South Lincs room, I anticipate that later today and overnight us wee folk down Sleaford / Boston way will have plenty to write about.

LO

To be honest I'm a bit confused by the thread title as this regional thread is always for Yorks and Lincs not just north Lincs so yes this thread is appropriate.