Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Northern Lincs Regional Thread

shuggee

Posted

To be honest I'm a bit confused by the thread title as this regional thread is always for Yorks and Lincs not just north Lincs so yes this thread is appropriate.

Thats what threw me but im happy to sit in here feels more like home than the Midlands Threadblum.gif

LO

Posted

Just getting light and peeped out of the window. Looks like there's a nice covering up on the wolds. Temp dropping now and finally at freezing!

Posted

Just getting light and peeped out of the window. Looks like there's a nice covering up on the wolds. Temp dropping now and finally at freezing!

Have you checked the radar mate? There is quite a large/heavish shower heading your way!!

Posted

Is it possible to post in here due to the fact there is no South Lincs room, I anticipate that later today and overnight us wee folk down Sleaford / Boston way will have plenty to write about.

LO

i to was also unsure whether to post in here as sth lincs was not in the tittle, lol, fingers crossed for a bit of snow down here although this talk of the warm sector is bothering me so trying to keep my daughters excitement down, lol

Posted

Have you checked the radar mate? There is quite a large/heavish shower heading your way!!

Thanks for the heads up mate. Might get a covering if that hits right. Might just head out for an early morning walk!! :)

Posted

Good to clear up that this thread covers all Lincs - can we get header changed.

Like previously said the Midlands and East Anglia thread doesn't seem the right place to be.

Good luck to all - lets hope we get a dollop of snow this week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Yes, a change to 'Yorkshire and Lincolnshire' would be much welcomed.

Here's hoping to some snow later - PPN appears to be ahead of schedule, but is painfully slow.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Yes, a change to 'Yorkshire and Lincolnshire' would be much welcomed.

Here's hoping to some snow later - PPN appears to be ahead of schedule, but is painfully slow.

Yes, painfully slow but when it hits our area lets hope it doesn't deside to get a move on. At least a slow moving front could deliever a few cms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Well it was good to finally see a little snow falling last night in my area for the first time this winter, and even though it only gave a small and temporary accumulation, it has certainly whetted my appetite for more snow during this coming week.

So what do we have in store this week for our region this week? Well luckily enough I think alot of people will be pleased with the outlook! The latest radar;

http://www.metoffice...ather/uk/radar/

shows an area of snow moving down from Scotland that will affect our region this evening and overnight as per the latest NAE prediction below;

13011400_1306.gif

This area of snow will probably only produce relatively small accumulations for our region, but then we have a more active front moving down from the North/North West during tomorrow. There has been alot of talk as to whether this band of precipitation will be an all snow event, and whilst areas to the South and West of the Yorkshire region seem correct in raising their concerns, we seem to be in a prime position for an all snow event, again shown by the latest NAE prediction (see below) for the period in question, as well as the latest METO text forecast posted further down;

13011418_1306.gif

Looking further out, and from Tuesday onwards, it looks as though it will remain cold, if not very cold, and with the wind expected to switch to the East/North East later in the week and to strengthen, it would appear that we could be in for some pretty severe coniditions with heavy snow showers being created by the North Sea snow machine, and then driven in land by the strong winds. The lates METO text update for our region illustrates this nicely;

Headline:

Very cold. Snow spreading from the northwest.

Today:

Most parts start dry with bright spells, but there will be a few snow showers at first. Staying very cold and clouding over through the day with snow moving into the north and west later. Icy at times. Maximum Temperature 3 °C.

Tonight:

Very cold with the snow in the far north and west at first soon spreading across the region. There will be some accumulations, and very icy conditions developing too. Minimum Temperature -1 °C.

Monday:

Cloudy and very cold, with snow probably spreading from the north during the day, giving further accumulations in places. Maximum Temperature 2 °C.

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

Tuesday, very cold, bright or sunny intervals and snow showers, some possibly heavy near coasts. Wednesday and Thursday, very cold with a biting northeasterly wind and heavy snow showers.

Issued at: 0400 on Sun 13 Jan 2013

Towards the weekend, there is more uncertainty, but with the models continuing their trend this morning to push any end to this cold spell backwards, I can only think that the likelihood of this cold spell being extended into the following week, with a continuing risk of snow is becoming greater all the time, particularly as we have an ongoing SSW which is clearly playing havoc with the jet stream and the models are really struggling to come to terms with how this will pan out.

In a nutshell, if you live in Yorkshire / Lincs, and you like cold and snow, you should be in for a real treat this week! Wrap up warm folks... cold.gif

Edited by Kentish Snowman

Posted

Woke up to a slight covering on most surfaces

went down to 0.6c at 6.13am back up to 1.3c at 8.58am

looking at that band in Scotland its either coming in earlier than expected or will slow down through the day?

Ian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Morning folks. Well signs of some snowfall in the early hours but nothing o write home about. Looking at bbc and met still looks brill for the coming days including now Wednesday and Thursday which show snow showers through out the day. As I said yesterday though these seem to keep changing by the hour lol so it does seem like its a waiting game!

How have the early runs gone?

Edited to say that the post above was posted at the same time. Looking good :)

Edited by Lincstim

Posted

Was great to see snow settle in south yorkshire last night, hoping this is a sign of things to come by looks of charts this morning that band of snow coming down from scotland hitting our region tonight then moving south followed by another band tommorow morning possibly into the afternoon :) good times ahead!

Posted

Latest NAE charts..

Initial band is weaker..

13011400_1306.gif

13011406_1306.gif

Later band looks good still for everywhere in our region..

13011418_1306.gif

Uppers are below -4C throughout..

13011403_1306.gif

13011418_1306.gif

And possibly the most important bit.. dew points just below freezing..

13011418_1306.gif

Looking very good. good.gif

Posted

Well it was good to finally see a little snow falling last night in my area for the first time this winter, and even though it only gave a small and temporary accumulation, it has certainly whetted my appetite for more snow during this coming week.

So what do we have in store this week for our region this week? Well luckily enough I think alot of people will be pleased with the outlook! The latest radar;

http://www.metoffice...ather/uk/radar/

shows an area of snow moving down from Scotland that will affect our region this evening and overnight as per the latest NAE prediction below;

13011400_1306.gif

This area of snow will probably only produce relatively small accumulations for our region, but then we have a more active front moving down from the North/North West during tomorrow. There has been alot of talk as to whether this band of precipitation will be an all snow event, and whilst areas to the South and West of the Yorkshire region seem correct in raising their concerns, we seem to be in a prime position for an all snow event, again shown by the latest NAE prediction (see below) for the period in question, as well as the latest METO text forecast posted further down;

13011418_1306.gif

Looking further out, and from Tuesday onwards, it looks as though it will remain cold, if not very cold, and with the wind expected to switch to the East/North East later in the week and to strengthen, it would appear that we could be in for some pretty severe coniditions with heavy snow showers being created by the North Sea snow machine, and then driven in land by the strong winds. The lates METO text update for our region illustrates this nicely;

Headline:

Very cold. Snow spreading from the northwest.

Today:

Most parts start dry with bright spells, but there will be a few snow showers at first. Staying very cold and clouding over through the day with snow moving into the north and west later. Icy at times. Maximum Temperature 3 °C.

Tonight:

Very cold with the snow in the far north and west at first soon spreading across the region. There will be some accumulations, and very icy conditions developing too. Minimum Temperature -1 °C.

Monday:

Cloudy and very cold, with snow probably spreading from the north during the day, giving further accumulations in places. Maximum Temperature 2 °C.

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

Tuesday, very cold, bright or sunny intervals and snow showers, some possibly heavy near coasts. Wednesday and Thursday, very cold with a biting northeasterly wind and heavy snow showers.

Issued at: 0400 on Sun 13 Jan 2013

Towards the weekend, there is more uncertainty, but with the models continuing their trend this morning to push any end to this cold spell backwards, I can only think that the likelihood of this cold spell being extended into the following week, with a continuing risk of snow is becoming greater all the time, particularly as we have an ongoing SSW which is clearly playing havoc with the jet stream and the models are really struggling to come to terms with how this will pan out.

In a nutshell, if you live in Yorkshire / Lincs, and you like cold and snow, you should be in for a real treat this week! Wrap up warm folks... cold.gif

Great post. Thanks for that. Shame them charts show rain at the coast though! We'll see. Looks like a shower incoming here at the moment. :)

Posted

GFS is a definite upgrade - snow throughout for all of our region.

30-574.GIF?13-6

33-574.GIF?13-6

Warm sector gone! Colder uppers flood in!

30-7.GIF?13-6

33-7.GIF?13-6

I feel MUCH happier now.

Posted

GFS is a definite upgrade - snow throughout for all of our region.

30-574.GIF?13-6

33-574.GIF?13-6

Warm sector gone! Colder uppers flood in!

30-7.GIF?13-6

33-7.GIF?13-6

I feel MUCH happier now.

Would all of our region see snow falling for quite a few hours tonight and tomorrow? and enough to make a snowman lol I really want to make one :)

Posted

Morning all.

A light covering of graupal on surfaces this morning and a slight frost. Just been for a run and very bracing..!

Could be in for a good night. Sit in conservatory with views over Leeds, wIne in hand, security light watching and laptop on.. and the missus in bed early!!!!

Posted

Showers incoming! Seem to be losing intensity as they head for the coast though. Might get a dusting! Dew point exactly 0.0C!

As far as tomorrow go's i feel much better after seeing this!

post-10637-0-16416200-1358070590_thumb.p

Edited by PMPhotography

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Think those in west yorkshire should be worried looks more like a rain event than snow. Plus those further east will be looking at a dusting i think maybe 2-4cm at most.

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

This first main band seems to be coming here faster than predicted, and looks to be hitting here about 2 pm ish (if it keeps coming at this rate). Wasn't expecting the snow fall till after dark so this will make a pleasant surprise, but means have to get all my jobs on the land done in the next 3 hours.

Edited by cowdog

Posted

Think those in west yorkshire should be worried looks more like a rain event than snow. Plus those further east will be looking at a dusting i think maybe 2-4cm at most.

Can't see how you jumped to that conclusion - when the PPN arrives, uppers are -4C, dews below freezing and temps hovering around freezing, looks fine for a snow event to me, looks like rain west of the Pennines.

Posted

Morning guys/gals! A bit confused as BBC/METO local forecasts give SLEET for a time at my location? I live at 695 feet ASL near Longwood on the outskirts of Huddersfield? Would have thought at my height would be all snow? Or is the METO text forecast from data thats already out of date?

Anyone more expert than me care to advise?

Posted

I personally am quite happy to see this front progress slowly in the relation to the ppn been over all areas for a long period and also that by the time it reaches our area the sun would have long gone down and in turn the temps with it. I am expecting to see disruption Monday morning during the rush hour. The only down side is i live out in the fens which means no gritted roads and a long torrid trip into coningsby.

Mind you it will be a pretty journey if nothing else. good.gif

LO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Morning guys/gals! A bit confused as BBC/METO local forecasts give SLEET for a time at my location? I live at 695 feet ASL near Longwood on the outskirts of Huddersfield? Would have thought at my height would be all snow? Or is the METO text forecast from data thats already out of date?

Anyone more expert than me care to advise?

How do we always see this on Huddersfields forecasts, I think the reason is they go off the town centre height 95m asl so it's a big difference when you start climbing up above the 150m line.

Posted

Hope so! Where abouts are you? I used to Live in Linthwaite on Manchester Road-& if there was wet snow/sleet at that level it magically turned to thick proper settled snow-always around the Dusty Miller pub in Longwood lol (!)