Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Northern Lincs Regional Thread

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

How do we always see this on Huddersfields forecasts, I think the reason is they go off the town centre height 95m asl so it's a big difference when you start climbing up above the 150m line.

Same for Leeds - centre forecast sleet, here all snow. They're automated anyway, so don't hang on their every word.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Think those in west yorkshire should be worried looks more like a rain event than snow. Plus those further east will be looking at a dusting i think maybe 2-4cm at most.

Not sure what period you are talking about, but I can't see any evidence for the rain in West Yorkshire comment based on the latest output;

13011400_1306.gif

13011406_1306.gif

13011412_1306.gif

13011418_1306.gif

13011500_1306.gif

It could be wrong but there is no support for your comment at the moment. METO text forecast also backs an 'all snow' event for Yorkshire.

Edited by Kentish Snowman

Posted

Certainly less marginal for our region than yesterday, and we should see some decent accumulations from both bands. Probably go for 2-5cm by Monday afternoon for most of us, perhaps quite a bit more in selected locations given the NAE precipitation totals.

13011506_1306.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

A small dusting from some overnight showers, min temp -2.1c. Currently clear skies and chilly :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, lightning, wind, frost, any extreme

Looks to me from the charts that Hull will see a rain sleet snow mix hopefully I am wrong?

Posted

Looks to me from the charts that Hull will see a rain sleet snow mix hopefully I am wrong?

Hull looks fine - doubt being close to the coast will have much of an effect bar western coasts i.e Lancs and Merseyside.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎

anyone know why it goes from snow to sleet/rain at around midnight for s.yorks n.midlands area even though temp is 1ºC? is there a bit of a warmer upper air coming in?

Posted

Is it me or does the snow band seem to be moving in sooner than was forecast. Was forecast to be with us about 6pm in west yorks, but looking at the radar it could be with us from about 3pm.

Mostly falling as snow in the north west ATM, so surely this must bode well for us further away from costal modification?

Posted

It's moving very slowly, so it may still be there by 10pm tonight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Went to bed just after midnight with the snaaw coming down quite heavily. Woke up this morning and nada. It seems that as soon as the DPs got to about freezing and the colder uppers arrived, the wind died and the showers did not pehetrate inland - such is life I guess. Anyway not to worry I am very confident of action over the next 48 -72 hours (and thereafter if truth be known).

The precipitation over the N Sea, showing as rain last night on NW radar, is now showing all as snow but none of this is moving inland. The showers seem to be popping up, moving a mile or two (northerly?) and then dying off. I guess we are going to get nowt from that direction today and will have to wait for band 1 from Scotland, which appears to be making inroads into the NW of England faster than anticipated.

Anyway lots to look forward to - anyone for a day off work tomorrow? blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

They just shown latest forecast on news24 and all i will say is dont get our hopes up looks very much like we wont see very much snow now. Loooks very fragmented and a weak affair. What a typical british let down

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hope so! Where abouts are you? I used to Live in Linthwaite on Manchester Road-& if there was wet snow/sleet at that level it magically turned to thick proper settled snow-always around the Dusty Miller pub in Longwood lol (!)

I live up between lindley and Oakes so got abit of elevation. Can't wait for later on!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms

so how is it looking for south Yorkshire, I wasn't actually expecting anything today, and kids driving me mad asking if they going be off school tomorrow lol

Posted

I know this is for Church Fenton, North Yorkshire (just due East of Leeds) but it is quite representative of Yorkshire in general;

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=EGXG

And even this 'milder' 6z GFS run shows 850's and thicknesses that are supportive of snow up until Thursday for our region, so even if it does turn milder after this, we still have a four day cold / snowy spell to look forward to this week. Bring it on!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold.

Last night was a huge non event for north Sheffield/Worrall/Oughtibridge area so maybe we can get something later on. It would be nice to have a couple of days of snowfall but until the flakes are falling I won't be holding my breath.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

According the the radar there appears to be continuous light snow between here and Brudlington and it does look kinda 'socked-in' in that direction.

Not getting any nearer sadly but at least it is still cold enough for snow here and we can look forward to tonight's snowfest (hopefully,,,,) with confidence especially as any mild sector worries have now been allayed.

Posted

Just in

Yellow Warning of Snow for Yorkshire & Humber

Yellow Warning of Snow for Yorkshire & Humber : North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, York & East Riding of Yorkshire valid from 1300 Sun 13 Jan to 2355 Sun 13 Jan

Looking good then. I would certainly be happy with 2-4cms this evening.

Wonderful cold and sunny crisp winter's day outside now. Temperature hovering around 1.4c. Lovely!

Posted

Last night was a huge non event for north Sheffield/Worrall/Oughtibridge area so maybe we can get something later on. It would be nice to have a couple of days of snowfall but until the flakes are falling I won't be holding my breath.

Tbf it was never meant to be an event, so the dusting was actually a bonus, even though it mostly melted. Tonight and tomorrow should deliver for most of us. Still expecting in the region of 2-5cm cm for most, although perhaps more in favoured locations (i.e. bit of elevation, luck with getting some heavier bursts)

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted

Looking at the current track and direction of the front as of 12.00 it appears that the main bulk may skirt southern Lincs and trundle off into E Anglia, with a thinning band further North beyond and up to the NE.

LO

Posted

Looking at the current track and direction of the front as of 12.00 it appears that the main bulk may skirt southern Lincs and trundle off into E Anglia, with a thinning band further North beyond and up to the NE.

LO

It wouldn't surprise me if most of the PPN misses here due to the pennines breaking it up,but i hope i'm wrong.

Posted

It wouldn't surprise me if most of the PPN misses here due to the pennines breaking it up,but i hope i'm wrong.

MMMMMMmmmm i suspect that may be why, I hope not but there are a lot of beefy showers behind the North of that front. Also looking at the traffic cameras in Scotland and the NW the snow has covered however the roads are clear which does not look good considering the front has been over that part of the region for some hours now.

LO

Posted

Sunday 13th January

YELLOW WARNING for SNOW for England.

An area of sleet and snow will come eastwards across England during the early morning, probably becoming light and patchy later in the morning as it slows down over eastern areas. However, later in the day it is expected to intensify again, at the same time turning back to rain in places. Through the day there is the risk of 5 cm accumulations in places, and more than that above 200 m. However, there is greater than average uncertainty at this range, especially in the extent to which snow affects southern counties, and it is quite possible that the Alert will be upgraded to an amber Warning if confidence increases.

The public are advised to monitor the forecast and to be aware of the risk of disruption to travel.

Valid 0005 to 2355 Monday.

Sunday 13th January

YELLOW WARNING for SNOW for northeast England, southeast England, East Anglia and eastern Scotland.

Showery outbreaks of snow will affect parts of the east on Tuesday, in some places adding a few cm to existing accumulations. Over Scotland and northern England showers will often fall as rain near coasts. Over East Anglia and southeast England, conditions will improve markedly by afternoon. Ice will also be a hazard in these areas.

The public are advised to be aware of the risk of disruption to transport.

Valid 0005 to 2355 Tuesday.

Posted

Sunday 13th January

YELLOW WARNING for SNOW for England.

An area of sleet and snow will come eastwards across England during the early morning, probably becoming light and patchy later in the morning as it slows down over eastern areas. However, later in the day it is expected to intensify again, at the same time turning back to rain in places. Through the day there is the risk of 5 cm accumulations in places, and more than that above 200 m. However, there is greater than average uncertainty at this range, especially in the extent to which snow affects southern counties, and it is quite possible that the Alert will be upgraded to an amber Warning if confidence increases.

The public are advised to monitor the forecast and to be aware of the risk of disruption to travel.

Valid 0005 to 2355 Monday.

Sunday 13th January

YELLOW WARNING for SNOW for northeast England, southeast England, East Anglia and eastern Scotland.

Showery outbreaks of snow will affect parts of the east on Tuesday, in some places adding a few cm to existing accumulations. Over Scotland and northern England showers will often fall as rain near coasts. Over East Anglia and southeast England, conditions will improve markedly by afternoon. Ice will also be a hazard in these areas.

The public are advised to be aware of the risk of disruption to transport.

Valid 0005 to 2355 Tuesday.

Not overly keen on that statement about showers falling as rain near coasts in northern england on Tuesday, I wonder if we are classed as northern england or eastern england?

Having seen a truely amazing bbc forecast for cold and snow for this week perhaps things could be better than first thought

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover