Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Three Counties & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 14th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow or stormy...colder the better

The front looks very narrow on the radar, and fast moving, started snowing an hour ago, and I feel it will pass through in around an hours time, quite disappointed to be honest, can't see it slowing neither :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

A front around the centre of a low pressure.

Cheers Steve. I'll see if I can wrap my head around that. :D

Temp up to 0.9 and the dew point up to 0.6 in P'Boro, up from 0.5 and 0.2 just 2 hours ago, that doesn't bode well for later.

Also, something strange I have noticed, in the past 24 hours the wind direction has almost done a 360 degree turn clockwise, starting at NNW at about 9pm last night to NW now?

Wouldn't worry, they'll drop over the next couple hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Still light snow here at work.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow or stormy...colder the better

although the BBC still show it stalling and pivoting....time will tell i guess :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

i have drawn the curtains now.driving myself mad keep looking out.if or when anyone in this area says its snowing, i'll go and look.

Sleety drizzle now, but it might turn to snow when it peps up

Posted

Finally some nice snowfall this side of Ipswich, according to iPhone app I should be experiencing sleet lol!

Only discovered that thing had changed as my son decided to tip my drink over himself so a dash to the kitchen revealed the snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

What is a 'wraparound'?

It’s when the low pressure system curls around at the centre causing a ‘wrap around’ effect…..

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints2/440/

In this case I understand it would be caused by the low pressure system that has moved SSE stalling over the North Sea, moisture from the sea interacting with the system causing the formation of precipitation which will be dragged and curled around the centre of the low pressure causing the ‘wrap around’ effect....I think !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Finally some nice snowfall this side of Ipswich, according to iPhone app I should be experiencing sleet lol!

Only discovered that thing had changed as my son decided to tip my drink over himself so a dash to the kitchen revealed the snow!

Hopefully it's coming our way now, just rain here in Kesgrave!

Looks like the wraparound is the best chance here now, but not very hopeful any more....... :(

Edited by Chalk Serpent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

More interesting thoughts from Mr M posted in the London & SE Thread......

can I just clarify the difference between today & the rest of the week-

http://www.meteociel...W6-21.GIF?14-17

today we have had a shallow low travel down from the North of the UK- it was expected ( when it was at t72) to travel down the west & the east & SE would stay in the cold air- however as the system arrrived over iceland & split the trajectory was ever so slightly SE instead of south-

as a result being in the western quadrent of the low instead of the eastern quadrent has meant that the milder wedge of air that was originally atlantic origin have permiated from the NW part of the low anticlockwise into the southern part which was over the SE-

This system drifts away south so we get back into the colder air again- the UKMO raw data data suggested uppers of -4c in the west & DP's around 2-

as we head through the next 24/48/72 hours- uppers drop off to -9c widely again & the dewpoints stay at -1c or below-

so we should appreciate that today was probably the warmest day of the cold spell & that things will turn colder by the day- culminating in -2 maxes on weds if there is any snow on the ground-

the T96 & 120 UKMO charts show winds strengthening from the SE which may drag in some flurries - but also when the atlantic arrives the undercut will be from deep europe & the rain will turn to snow for ALL of our region-

the slower the low pushes towards the UK the longer the snow for us- if the low fragments at 138 instead of pushing through we may see ALL snow...

so watch out for the rest of the week & be gone all that wet cr*p tongight.,.

S

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75557-london-south-east-regional-discussion-january-14th-2013-12z-onwards/page__st__740#entry2499040

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers, Snowy Winters

Rain in Lowestoft unfortunately. A bit of a non event here so far

Posted

Temp up to 0.9 and the dew point up to 0.6 in P'Boro, up from 0.5 and 0.2 just 2 hours ago, that doesn't bode well for later.

Yeah up to 1.1 and 0.8 now, not good, should start dropping soon though (I hope!)

Posted
  • Location: To the South East of Ipswich - on the Essex/Suffolk Border
  • Weather Preferences: Sun or Snow
  • Location: To the South East of Ipswich - on the Essex/Suffolk Border

Hopefully it's coming our way now, just rain here in Kesgrave!

Looks like the wraparound is the best chance here now, but not very hopeful any more....... sad.png

That's amazing. I've just driven home from West Ipswich and it's absolutely hossing it down - although I have just looked out of the window and it's not now but what a difference a couple of miles makes!

Keep the faith Chalk.

Posted

So is the wrap around around going to plan or do we not know yet? Also is the midweek snow event still on, I thought the UKMO was showing something the other day. Thanks to anyone who answers this !

if you miss out on any overnight stuff then thats probably it until friday(if it happens). with an onshore flow, we could see something mid week but probably just freezing and icy (thats for watford)

Edited by bluearmy

Posted

That's amazing. I've just driven home from West Ipswich and it's absolutely hossing it down - although I have just looked out of the window and it's not now but what a difference a couple of miles makes!

Keep the faith Chalk.

Yep West Ipswich getting a nice coating on everything now, temp and dew point both dropping.

Posted

No reports of any heavy snow coming in...no blizzards ...have the major forecasters got it wrong. It's 3c here

If this wrap around comes off then we are in with a north east wind, but the satellite pictures not showing that.

Rain band now moving towards the low country's .if it comes back then we are in for another chance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

well been a great one here. Woke up at 4am to see a covering and scraped off a couple of inches of snow off car first thing. At work in Radlett it was light and stop/start until about 11am when it really kicked in and was very heavy at times and pretty much non stop until about 3.00. Was settling well on the playground after the kids at the school had been out in it playing. Am a happy bunny now and will be happy with whatever we get now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Keep the faith Chalk.

It's got here now and is coming down quite hard; settling a bit too! :)