Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 16/01/13 06z ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

UKMET GM is out and shows a notable movement westward, pretty much making snow a certainty away from cornwall and devon (sorry again folks), it also has much heavier precip that lasts alot longer (twice as long as GFS in the moderate range).

Overall it continues well (UKMET has moved 30-40 miles westward as well with the sustained cold air.)

Does this include coastal parts of Dorset Iceberg?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Could be the first all nighter of the winter on Friday tongue.png

Lets hope the GFS shows the same westerly trend.

Yup. I really, really want to see what that dark pink snow looks like clapping.gif

At the moment NW is forecasting rain here during the middle of the day which will really spoil the party. Still there's only 1 degree in it so fingers crossed temps don't rise above freezing and I get my wish....good.gif

Edited by katemart

Posted

Does this include coastal parts of Dorset Iceberg?

Really difficult question....

I think based soley on the 12z's so far, that Poole eastwards might get snow until 2-3pm friday, then it will have to wait again until the east wind kicks in friday night. Wareham purbecks could be ok. weymouth westwards looks just the wrong side. But essentially a trend as the day progresses for coastal areas to turn to sleet until midinight or so when it turn back if there is precip around.

Dont hold me to that though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Good gravy, Monday's looking a bit tasty for us in the north and east of the region......cold.gif

Posted

Jumping forward to monday, GFS takes a much weaker front into the SW but pretty much stalls it their as any momentum is gone to move it eastwards, but it does produce some good moderate snow before sinking away all the way until monday night/v.early tues morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

I think based soley on the 12z's so far, that Poole eastwards might get snow until 2-3pm friday, then it will have to wait again until the east wind kicks in friday night. Wareham purbecks could be ok. weymouth westwards looks just the wrong side. But essentially a trend as the day progresses for coastal areas to turn to sleet until midinight or so when it turn back if there is precip around.

Thank you for your reply - you are right, it is a difficult situation to forecast, but it does follow what I feared to be true ....swallowing a realism pill as I type.

Posted

Last one from me for a little while, UKMET shows yet another sliding low and easterly for tues./wed with good snow potential, with a reload of the pattern.

Far too far out to be taken seriously, but it shows that any return to mild weather could be along time in the offering.

Posted

surely lying snow on coastal area's will help surface temperature and modify the air temperature making it less likely to fall as sleet - particularly after midday when the sun starts to wain. I imagine further east you are the better on the coast aswell as the uppers will be colder the further east you go

Posted

Still can't believe we're on the verge of something very special for the majority within this region.

Models keep on pushing back the milder breakdown further & further. It always seems to stay beyond T144, if at all.

Everyone I've spoken to today has been talking about the weather, so it's great that we have an amazing Met Office & forecasters to publicise the concerns many may have attached to this wintery weather coming up. Personally, I sooooo want to ramp it up, but something's holding me back after the "close but no cigar" scenario's over the years!

Good luck all

Posted

I imagine further east you are the better on the coast aswell as the uppers will be colder the further east you go

:good:

Posted

Thank you for your reply - you are right, it is a difficult situation to forecast, but it does follow what I feared to be true ....swallowing a realism pill as I type.

50/50 tbh I've also found in these situations that wimborne can be on the right side of things and the true snowless zone is just 2-3 miles out of poole.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Wow Latest GFS showing pretty much snow from Thursday eve through to Tuesday with Rain coming in on wednesday ( While Wednesday is waaayy to far away to even worry about yet )

Good times. Fingers VERY MUCH CROSSED

If it did indeed rain on wed's then 20+ cm of snow melting + heavy rain would be worrying.....

Edited by Lynxus

Posted

After looking at this run i am now genuinely worried we are looking at a severe spell here, with actually the posibility of it starting as early as tomorrow which i wasnt expecting, to be honest ive gone from oh this will be fun to oh crap!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

After looking at this run i am now genuinely worried we are looking at a severe spell here, with actually the posibility of it starting as early as tomorrow which i wasnt expecting, to be honest ive gone from oh this will be fun to oh crap!

Now come on! It will be great fun! The Wessex way will be an ice rink, the roads will be clear as all the oldies will never leave the house!

Posted

Now come on! It will be great fun! The Wessex way will be an ice rink, the roads will be clear as all the oldies will never leave the house!

Not fun when its my living down the drain!! Im a window cleaner lol tease.gif

Edited by Rapodo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

hI i'm oldish, How am I going to get my Horlicks ????cray.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

NW upgrade for Devon now, Snow, to sleet and back to snow. Forecast from tomorrow now, weird? But im going to get my salt and take a massive pinch of it!

Edited by Beast of Dartmoor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I so hope that the current band of precipitation out West peps up a bit and puts a few smiles on those folks in the extremities of the South and West, all before it fizzles out overnight.

If we could add a pre-covering of snow before the main event then there wouldn't be much chance of marginality.

Many parts of the UK, in the East and over Central parts will have had an ICE day today just as I did.

Fascinating times, whatever happens after the main event and into next week.

Just a few days ago, I did believe this spell will take a while in moving, I still think that will be the case, even now.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

hI i'm oldish, How am I going to get my Horlicks ????cray.gif

You should have already got your essentials in, haven't you been listening to the old bugger, who is gottolovethisweather. spiteful.gif

Posted

Interesting that the 12z runs so far are less progressive and the precipitation totals are perhaps slightly muted compared to the earlier runs - nothing more than mildly interesting at this range, of course.

Love the way the warm front gets smashed, sorry I mean mixed out ;-) , on the UKMO as per the attached animation. That might be the clue as to why the 12z runs are less progressive...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

You should have already got your essentials in, haven't you been listening to the old bugger, who is gottolovethisweather. spiteful.gif

Not impressed with the latest GFS output Tony....between now and monday night, I'm down to only 35cm of laying snow, what a thoroughly crap cold spell this will turn out to be! bomb.gif

w00t.gif

Posted

Just noticed that the MetO's amber warning is on the highest column for impact. If the reliability increases, that could turn to red in a few lucky/unlucky spots.

Yeah if the impact level stays high, once the confidence goes up red warning could pop up somewhere