Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 16/01/13, 12z Onwards

Coast

Posted

Some cold spells have gone breasts up, though in the era of intensive model watching I've never known a snow event at this range go the way of the pear with such NWP agreement.

All that could go wrong IMO is a dramatic shift South/West of the PPN.

It does weaken it though.

I even think that is highly unlikely Ian, I can see this being a 24-36 hr event, so favoured locations could see around 30 cm + out of this,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Some cold spells have gone breasts up, though in the era of intensive model watching I've never known a snow event at this range go the way of the pear with such NWP agreement.

All that could go wrong IMO is a dramatic shift South/West of the PPN.

It does weaken it though.

Even light snow will easily accumulate, temps whilst the front is gifting us with snow are constantly sub-zero, and if someone could post the ground temps for 0600 Friday from the NMM, pretty sure you'll be assured that each and every flake will safely sit on the ground. :D

Posted

It's a long way out but we could be looking at a repeat performance come next Monday/Tuesday, if that was to verify imagine some of the snow totals for the region by then.

Posted

Can someone with the NMM post a couple of ground temperature charts from 0600 Friday please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

12z NMM shows the front dying out as approaches the NW, especially further south, hope this is far off the mark!

post-9615-0-05559400-1358360096_thumb.pn post-9615-0-10030600-1358360118_thumb.pn

Surface temps

post-9615-0-59698300-1358360188_thumb.pn

Dew points

post-9615-0-45256000-1358360218_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

best chart by a mile since i started looking at them about 3 year ago imby, the snow would probably exceed 15cm which i have never seen in my life except when i was about 2.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

best chart by a mile since i started looking at them about 3 year ago imby, the snow would probably exceed 15cm which i have never seen in my life except when i was about 2.

Didn't Cumbria get big falls in March 2006? I was in Penrith and there was quite bit, 6-8 inches or something.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Didn't Cumbria get big falls in March 2006? I was in Penrith and there was quite bit, 6-8 inches or something.

Ye i think we got a round 10cm with big drifts saying that if the snow didnt blow about maybe it would have been about 15cm. That event is very similar to the upcoming one (hopefully).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Just come in after work but after popping into the regional thread an odd time during th day.

Are we still looking good for Friday following the Day After Tomorrow forecast at lunchtime or has a downgrade taken place.

Posted

12z NMM shows the front dying out as approaches the NW, especially further south, hope this is far off the mark!

post-9615-0-05559400-1358360096_thumb.pn post-9615-0-10030600-1358360118_thumb.pn

Surface temps

post-9615-0-59698300-1358360188_thumb.pn

Dew points

post-9615-0-45256000-1358360218_thumb.pn

is this a reason to worry...not as to whether this chart happens...but does it show things are not at all sured up?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Ye i think we got a round 10cm with big drifts saying that if the snow didnt blow about maybe it would have been about 15cm. That event is very similar to the upcoming one (hopefully).

Much, much colder this time - that event was quite wet when it started, so there could be bigger accumulations. I think most people wouldn't be too disappointed with 10cm anyway, that would have been deeper than the best snow all year in some winters over the last 20 years.

Edited by Alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Don't worry about the band slowing and fragmenting- the Met Office also predicted this- and took this in mind when putting out your amber warning.. 24-36 hrs of light-mod snow will accumulate big time.. I think the NW and W Midlands are in for quite a good event with 10-15cm quite widely, and 15cm+ in some spots.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

is this a reason to worry...not as to whether this chart happens...but does it show things are not at all sured up?

Slightly concerning as the tendency on the 12z runs has been to reduce the fronts progress and intensity. Just our luck if it fizzles out! I'll only start to worry should this trend be maintained on future runs.

Posted

Regional forecast for the North West from the Met Office:

Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

Windy on Friday with snow spreading to most areas and giving significant accumulations. Becoming drier with winds easing this weekend. Remaining cold though with overnight frosts and ice.

Issued at: 1600 on Wed 16 Jan 2013

Boom!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Don't worry about the band slowing and fragmenting- the Met Office also predicted this- and took this in mind when putting out your amber warning.. 24-36 hrs of light-mod snow will accumulate big time.. I think the NW and W Midlands are in for quite a good event with 10-15cm quite widely, and 15cm+ in some spots.

the latest bbc forcast put the NW in the highest risk area for disruption Dark orange!!! :D

Posted

Slightly concerning as the tendency on the 12z runs has been to reduce the fronts progress and intensity. Just our luck if it fizzles out! I'll only start to worry should this trend be maintained on future runs.

I'll worry if this trend is showing tomorrow, in fact if it is we could be looking at the mother of all disappointments. Fingers crossed this disappears tomorrow.

Posted

Looking more and more possible that we could be in this cycle of cold weather for a while. what worries me is public that have nothing to do with a lovely weather forum likes this aren't heeding the warnings. Good news is im set up like the Swiss army knife of cold spells :D

Posted

I'll worry if this trend is showing tomorrow, in fact if it is we could be looking at the mother of all disappointments. Fingers crossed this disappears tomorrow.

Not really, take my word for it, the NMM isn't great with precipitation forecasts more than about 12 hours away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers, cold winters.

Well the BBC have nailed down their opinion and would be a massive backtrack for them having commiteds to widespread snow and disrupition..For once Merseyside is in the firing line for "significant accumulations" i will take their word for it personally

Posted

Not really, take my word for it, the NMM isn't great with precipitation forecasts more than about 12 hours away.

I know, lets hope that trend continues BT. I don't think this thread could survive another near miss.