A.J

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Been snowing here on west Dartmoor for the last 4 hours, rather light snow but sometimes getting a little heavier with lovely big snowflakes with a temp of 2.5 degrees. Didn't settle much IMBY but looking out onto the higher tors there is a covering. I think those of us who are situated on Dartmoor could be in for a great surprise tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

That will cause some serious drifting - possibly over 1 metre drifts. Incredible!

Possibly. rofl.gif

Please bear in mind, those windspeeds die down throughout the day and are higher nearer the beginning of the event. The SW approaches being the most prone areas (particularly at elevation), where Blizzard conditions are likely for a short time period.

Posted

Light flakes falling about 5 miles west of Andover for last 20 mins

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Remember that wind doesn't directly flow along the isobars, it will always be angled slightly inwards when looking at an area of low pressure - for example, if there is an area of low pressure to the west and on the eastern side the isobars are going directly south to north, then there will be a south easterly element to the wind.

Conversely, the winds around an area of high pressure will be angled slightly outwards from the isobars.

Go to http://xcweather.co.uk/ for an example - click on the Pressure button and note the actual wind direction compared to the isobars. smile.png

So what are we saying, will the winds NOT be directly from the South at first. Will there therefore be a longer period of SE winds, I certainly hope so.

Posted

Courtesy of Thermo (KeithyJoe) null. Look at the snow risk Map.smile.png

We present to you all the official snow depth forecast for Friday into Saturday for the United Kingdom. This will be followed by a warning presentation a little later this afternoon.

https://www.facebook...&type=1

Thermo usually gets things right in these scenarios! I must say when I (mis) read the totals over Wales 20cm+ to 200m+ ohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.png

Posted

Hi Snowponies and welcom, I've been out this morning so haven't had chance to catch up on changes. Is everything looking slightly east again, with Dartmoor looking borderline? I hope not.!!!

Where abouts in W Dartmoor are you?

Flakes slowing down, almost stopped here now.

Posted

Something falling from the sky in portsmouth, a kind of white drizzle - shall I call it sleet?

Onto tomorrow ... just a reminder, NAE precip totals just a guide, last Saturday I was progged 10mm 24 hours before the event but we ended up with much more, probably nearer 25mm, local flooding even. So tomorrow, heavy snow yes, how much, could be more than progged, if the front stalls...make sure you have a shovel! A line from Southampton to Cardiff looks particularly vulnerable to a big fall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Nick Miller just said warning could be upgraded to RED !!! Didn't say where though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Yep Red Warning Coming as the Met Man said.....If So this is a serious upgrade as these are very very rarely given.

Never had one for here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Light snow in Southampton. 1.5C, DP -3.0C, Wind 1Bft ESE

Posted

Light flakes falling about 5 miles west of Andover for last 20 mins

Thank you for the report.

Welcome aboard and can you please update your profile to show your location.

Snowed earlier in Newbury and looks like a few more flakes are incoming according to the radar. I'm also seen some model output suggesting a few showery bits and pieces into the night, before the main event. smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Yep Red Warning Coming as the Met Man said.....If So this is a serious upgrade as these are very very rarely given.

HOLY CRAB 😱

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Aside from a couple of years ago for Dorset which we won't go into. :p :p

Posted

Raining in wimborne now. not convinced southcoast will see snow myself

I'm starting to get that sinking feeling...... To much mention of rain tomorrow too. Still don't get why with low temps/dps and a SE wind things will turn to rain.

Posted

Will a red warning mean the METO are expecting more precip? Or because of poss blizzards?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Yellow Alert now covering much of Devon and crossed Tamar Bodmin moors

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Thermo usually gets things right in these scenarios! I must say when I (mis) read the totals over Wales 20cm+ to 200m+ ohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.png

Yes, Thermo is a good forecaster like many others of course. biggrin.pngcold.gifsmile.png