Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 17th 2013. 12z onwards

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Whats the chances of us getting close to the cold NW'erly set up we had in 2009 that bought all the convective snow off the Irish Sea. Am i right in saying we need better heights over Greenland for that to happen again ?

Yes we would need a Greenland High for such a set-up, unfortunately I think a fair chance that much of the region will be dry until the breakdown from the Atlantic comes, on the plus side we do need a dry spell. Obviously the frustration is seeing all other areas, with the exception of the North Midlands and perhaps Western Scotland and Cornwall seeing snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

Yes we would need a Greenland High for such a set-up, unfortunately I think a fair chance that much of the region will be dry until the breakdown from the Atlantic comes, on the plus side we do need a dry spell. Obviously the frustration is seeing all other areas, with the exception of the North Midlands and perhaps Western Scotland and Cornwall seeing snow.

Hi Ian

I always value your input. I live in Tamworth. Am I likely to still see a bit of snow?

Posted

Hi Ian

I always value your input. I live in Tamworth. Am I likely to still see a bit of snow?

at the moment it looks more like snow showers for tamworth, could change tomorrow tho

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Hmmn gone quite dark out there, should imagine will get some more flakes on top of the last 7 i saw earlier lol

Posted

Thanks Ian. So its fairly standard fayre then, dry and cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

00z ECM ppn charts looking a little better for most of the region so don't loose all hope just yet! I guess this developing feature could spring a few surprises for the NW as the models are getting to grips on how it'll all play out. (we can hope)

post-9615-0-04454200-1358420245_thumb.pn post-9615-0-76435900-1358420255_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Met office currently saying snow frm 12:00 today through to saturday morning relatively unbroken, with amber warnings in place during friday, thoughts? - Wigan

the amber warnings were issued yesterday, expect an update and most probable downgrade between now and lunchtime.

Edited by WorsleySnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

the latest news 24 forecast wasn't so encouraging.. snow struggling to make it to our region at all, and even a hint of rain over Wirral which suggests light preciptation.. that said you never know what will actually happen until it happens!

Posted

the amber warnings were issued yesterday, expect an update and most peobalble downgrade between now and lunchtime.

they tweeted saying they will be moving the amber warning more westwards, there was no mention of any downgrades at all

Posted

the latest news 24 forecast wasn't so encouraging.. snow struggling to make it to our region at all, and even a hint of rain over Wirral which suggests light preciptation.. that said you never know what will actually happen until it happens!

for wirral i do not know, but for here its looking great, a very good upgrade for the south of the region on the 06z, ECM region wide still looking good, not sure about your side of the wirral though SP, it is raining in valley if thats any reflection for your area. in fact barely anything seems to have changed regarding snowfall coverage down here.

00z ECM ppn charts looking a little better for most of the region so don't loose all hope just yet! I guess this developing feature could spring a few surprises for the NW as the models are getting to grips on how it'll all play out. (we can hope)

post-9615-0-04454200-1358420245_thumb.pn post-9615-0-76435900-1358420255_thumb.pn

looks poor compared to the 06z GFS especially for the south of the region

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

I'll be more than happy if the ECM is right! It basically shows the low pressure with associated front making a bit more progress north than say the UKMO before it starts sinking south. I'd expect the mountains of northeast Wales to eat some of the intensity but still a nice covering.

We will have a better idea when the 12z's come out but that means 4 hours of waiting!!!

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

Oh well, whatever happens or doesn't happen I've still enjoyed the excitement of will it won't it.

Posted

Irish sea pepping up - chances of those showers approaching land ?

it was pepping up, but looking at latest radar, it looks to be dissipating :(

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Temp now 1.8 c, yesterday highest temp was 2.1c.

How odd. I am not that far from you relatively (15-20 miles) yet we are onto our 3rd ice day, and temps now at -1c. Just shows what effect the height and being just that bit more away from the coast does.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Let me just calm things down here by saying a few things, firstly regarding the 'Hugo Low'

This is something I've never heard of, but I think we all know what would happen if a low developed in the Irish Sea? Surely this would INCREASE precipitation amounts by injecting fresh energy into the system, I think we all know that when there's a low in the Irish Sea & cold continental air sat across the surface, it usually results in the NW being hit hard.

Secondly, the GFS's trend to correct thing westwards, this has had me baffled since yesterday when we had that front sat out in the Irish Sea. The GFS screwed that up by more than 50-70 miles. The PPN was forecast to sit over Ireland and simple fizzle with little progression eastwards, instead it fought it's way eastwards and came VERY close to delivering snowfall to our region.

Thirdly, the amber warning will NOT be removed. Ian F declared last night that there are no significant changes. Last night's high-res models especially the UKV (1.5km res) would of picked up on a shortwave/spoiler low at this kind of time frame.

Wait for the 12z's before making judgement, the extra balloon data & other variables will help with surface features & determine the exact track & intensity of this front.

To sum up, an event to deliver 10cm+ of snow is still very much ON.

Posted

they tweeted saying they will be moving the amber warning more westwards, there was no mention of any downgrades at all

Will be interesting to see with nearly every model downdrading the ppn for the North of the area, I imagine they would reduce the extents of the amber....a waiting game as ever!!

Posted

How odd. I am not that far from you relatively (15-20 miles) yet we are onto our 3rd ice day, and temps now at -1c. Just shows what effect the height and being just that bit more away from the coast does.

my temperature was rising, but has dropped back to -0.3C, holding steady from 1.4C dropped in the past hour or so

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

my temperature was rising, but has dropped back to -0.3C, holding steady from 1.4C dropped in the past hour or so

Watch out for the eastward trend on the 12z, if so, the heaviest stuff would sit slap bang over Cheshire, and indeed our areas. :)