Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 17th 2013. 12z onwards

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

I just hate this kind of set-up, yestersday I expect 10-15cm of snow here but since it came from the south west It will fizzles out even before it reaches cheshire. I call this rain-shadow effect. much like the pennines the welsh mountains just acting as an block so the snow will fizzle away.

the best scenario for frontal snow is from the west and the north west.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted

6z does upgrade, south of region, north greater manchester south wards seem best placed for 10cm, from a couple of charts I've seen in the MOD thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Just seen 7 snowflakes coming down here lol....its about to snow!

Posted

The MetOffice and BBC forecasts are still using data from last night. The recent 6z run won't be on there until closer to lunch time.

Posted

small flakes blowing in the wind again, seems to have been doing this for a couple of hours now, off and on, but no accumulation and not settling because simply put its like just a few small flakes.

Posted

they dont update with every change...they wait until they have more data in ..have a good look at it and update warnings at 11...unlike us lot they take a measured balacned approach rather than jump form run to run

Thanks !

They have now up upgraded it.

it's actully now showing light snow from noon to midnight now for today and all day tomorrow, i am off to a straw shop to buy the lot and clutch them all day.

Posted

Is this ahem "event" the precip that is currently starting to move in over the far West of Southern Ireland?

yes and it bumps into snow over wales and pushes ne, is what i am lead to believe

Posted

I think this is going to be one of those look out of the window occasions, the South of the region look ideally placed but anywhere North of Manchester is looking a little shaky. I may see some snow and after the last 24 hours I'll take a covering and be happy, those further North may not be as lucky.

Posted

The band in Wales is allowing some ppn ahead of it to develop which may be why we are seeing some flurries ATM.

I'm probably borderline from the heavier snow tomorrow being slightly more west and south of here.

Edited by Darren Bown

Posted

it will be interesting to see what will happen to the the convective precip in the irish sea its growing from update to update

Posted
  • Location: Bootle merseyside (near to coast at Waterloo,Crosby)
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,frost and fog
  • Location: Bootle merseyside (near to coast at Waterloo,Crosby)

I think we all need to get a little perspective on things-I love snow like all on here but, had to endure rain last week when some luckier people east and north within our region did have some snow. Now hopefully me and others in Liverpool and the south of the region still have a chance of seeing SOME snow this year so it is a bit dissapointing that others more widely in 'our' region are sulking cos they might not see it this time-cant people just for once be pleased that some of us in our region will have a chance for a change!- apologies for the rant but it does seem rather childish at times -I know people are dissapointed but as some of the wiser old timers on here will testify ie SP and backtrack is the weather and what will be will be and hopefully you will all see some snow but if you don't remember that us on the Liverpool and Wirral coast very very rarely see snow so please don't take away our limited anticipation of tomorrow's event by spitting your dummy out because its not going to snow in your particular bit of the region especially those of you who have already had some!

Posted

it will be interesting to see what will happen to the the convective precip in the irish sea its growing from update to update

What direction is it moving in HC?

Posted

Netw radar is also struggling to pick up the light ppn east of the Wales band, 1 minute it's there, the next it's gone!

Posted

I think we all need to get a little perspective on things-I love snow like all on here but, had to endure rain last week when some luckier people east and north within our region did have some snow. Now hopefully me and others in Liverpool and the south of the region still have a chance of seeing SOME snow this year so it is a bit dissapointing that others more widely in 'our' region are sulking cos they might not see it this time-cant people just for once be pleased that some of us in our region will have a chance for a change!- apologies for the rant but it does seem rather childish at times -I know people are dissapointed but as some of the wiser old timers on here will testify ie SP and backtrack is the weather and what will be will be and hopefully you will all see some snow but if you don't remember that us on the Liverpool and Wirral coast very very rarely see snow so please don't take away our limited anticipation of tomorrow's event by spitting your dummy out because its not going to snow in your particular bit of the region especially those of you who have already had some!

I only saw a little light snow falling last week , but we had no accumulations of the white stuff.

Posted

What direction is it moving in HC?

its difficult to see if its moving slowly westwards as its growing on the back end , or its just sitting there and growing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow

BBC showed no rain or anything over us in Wirral today but we are getting a few flakes and the sky looks really grey. I think I will go to work early and finish early just in case.

Posted

the north west is a big place and some places are more prone than others for snow. I would hold off just for the time being, regarding travelling

to manchester, lets see what the 12z has to say about things lol

Your right, I won't be making the decision until tomorrow morning. It's a tough one, part of me doesn't want too much snow so that I can travel, the rest of me wants to wake up to drifts up to the bedroom window!

Posted

Netw radar is also struggling to pick up the light ppn east of the Wales band, 1 minute it's there, the next it's gone!

its becoming a fairly big convection from the isle of man stretching to holyhead, def getting bigger and becoming beefier..problem is i don't

know if its moving ever so slowly east wards or if its just because its growing.

Edited by HotCuppa