Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 17th Januray 2013, 12z Onwards

Brad lough

Posted

Light snow in bath.....all surfaces wet......snow not sticking.

How do wet surfaces impact impact on snow sticking?

We had heavy rain here initially a few years back, but then it started snowing and it laid on the puddles. Depends how hard the snow PPN becomes, and what the DP's are.

Posted

As far as I'm concerned, it's still game on for Southampton and us coasties. Not sure why I'm seeing these downbeat posts, when the actual event isn't even here yet - and wasn't forecast to be here until the morning.

I remember the event we had in 2010 very vividly, and I remember these forums saying similar as the coastal cities did see rain/sleet initially, quite hard for a time - but this gradually turned into snow as the night wore on and the winds changed direction, and we had about 5-6cm's in Southampton the next morning.

Snow is a funny thing to forecast, so there's no point in writing off chances until we're actually in the event!

Quite agree, hence my original questioning of the Met O warning.

Dec 2010 was exceptional and winds were largely offshore, the airmass had very low thickness values, 516dm which is pretty remarkable for December or any time in the winter for that matter. But I take your point. I used to live on the IOW and have seen some strange things during snow events, such as snow, followed by ice pellets (frozen raindrops) and then back to snow again, with short spells of rain mixed in.

It's all most interesting to follow that's for sure!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Snow!!

it's turning to snow as the very cold winds off the continent feed in!

Agree pompeylee, I am confident we will get the snow snowgal, fingers crossed.

Still 2.5c here at Wootton

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Snow falling a little more readily now and just beginning to settle, bonus!

As to the discussion on the two fronts coming through, looks like there is a second one (I was obviously wrong on that one) though it's likely the whole lot will just merge into one big area of PPN, looking great so far.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observations/#?tab=map&map=Rainfall&zoom=5&locId=353749&fcTime=1358409600&lon=-4.00&lat=54.63

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

If it snows hard enough and the dew point is low enough then some wet doesn't matter IMO.

Posted

OldMetMan, i wished you lived in The East Midlands, would love to see your fantastic knowledge posted in our area.

Hope you get a good surprise.good.gif

Thank you lancs_northants, not sure about the knowledge but I appreciate the compliment! I have followed the weather since 1967 so I guess I do have a lot of experience!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

made my other half beef stew and dumplings lol - she loves me big time now

temp on gosport is 5.3 degrees lol, and dewpoint 2.3...

And according to netweather radar, it is as good as sleeting there now. Not sure what all the fuss is about. rofl.gif

Good luck Portsmouthians.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

They have zero impact if conditions are good for settling snow, and they are as we head into tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

made my other half beef stew and dumplings lol - she loves me big time now

temp on gosport is 5.3 degrees lol, and dewpoint 2.3...

Wow that's a lot warmer than here on iow i always thought we were the warmest lol Temp here is 2.1 and dew point 1.1 still not gud for snow tho :(

Posted

I am such a numpty. I have been reading with interest, looking at my radar and thinking that you were all in la la land, nothing showing on my nw radar, then I hit refresh! mega_shok.gif

I have only just cracked open the wine as well, so no excuses.

I have just said this to the daughter, she informs me that it has said 2pm for hours. She obviously hasn't been listening to anything I have been saying for the last hour.

Edited by dancing daisy

Posted

They have zero impact if conditions are good for settling snow, and they are as we head into tomorrow!

Good news.

It's looking good for large parts of the region. I work basically on the mendips, so I don't think I shall be going in tomorrow!!!

Posted

I am in cornwall - very wet at present 6c at present - not expecting much but what time is the front expected to hit? Drove down from Exeter today and was not much colder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/haverfordwest#?tab=map&map=Temperature&fcTime=1358409600&zoom=8&lon=-3.24&lat=50.87 great link for seeing when temperatures are going to tumble, uses latest hi res data and is generally very accurate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Agree pompeylee, I am confident we will get the snow snowgal, fingers crossed.

Still 2.5c here at Wootton

yep I think the same.we are just waiting for the freezing air to feed in and bump into the mild air.we will have snow.no question.its 5c in other parts..so we have stayed relatively cold :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Woah, my temperature is nearly 3c now, was 1.9c 10 minutes a go!

Unexpected to say the least

SM

Wind direction? Maybe its briefly veered SW as I think some Dorsetonians were reporting earlier.

Don't panic, it will veer at some point.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Good to see a few isle of wighters here...very passionate about our snow us lol..