Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 17th Januray 2013, 12z Onwards

Brad lough

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Apologies, my remarks were not based on just that one post!

Why are you surprised at rain now when the snow has never been forecast until tomorrow?

because of the upper air temps being so low or they should have been....

maybe if this breakaway front had not happened now then there would be less to worry about,

but once you get one front move through giving rain although places like reading are doing well then whos to say the next front is not going to go in our favour.

is it possible this next system could track futher north ive seen it happen in the past,then we would be beyond the marginal.

im no expert but been around for 38years and been a weather fanatic for atleast 30 of them and even winter 09/10 things changed within the hour but this time was very much in our favour.

the 80s was clearly a decade were this type of setup was rather ordinary but back then winters were very very cold.

and its amazing that today during daylight hours there were light flurrys so either the upper air temps or this front has warm sector within or there has been a shift slightly futher north and east.

I must admit, I am getting paranoid that the temperature isn't dropping, and is above freezing. The snow isn't settling, and if it gets too wet then I'll be worried about tomorrows settling. Currently 1C and has been forr about two hours now.

Posted

Unbelieviably heavy rain in West Cornwall at the moment somewhere will get a lot of snow out of this - though note it has turned a lot warmer here now!

Posted

I am such a numpty. I have been reading with interest, looking at my radar and thinking that you were all in la la land, nothing showing on my nw radar, then I hit refresh! mega_shok.gif

Could have been worse. You could have sat there all weekend and missed the whole lot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Very windy here now thought I saw a flake

If a flake in torpoint fingers crossed up here in woolwell (north plymouth to anyone else) that it might be two flakes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

OldMetMan, i wished you lived in The East Midlands, would love to see your fantastic knowledge posted in our area.

Hope you get a good surprise.good.gif

Well, he doesn't............so....jog on! acute.giflaugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

I must admit, I am getting paranoid that the temperature isn't dropping, and is above freezing. The snow isn't settling, and if it gets too wet then I'll be worried about tomorrows settling. Currently 1C and has been forr about two hours now.

Its 1.2c here. I think that is fine for snow. May be wrong but I believe anything below 3c it can happen.

Posted

At least you have some snow, been light rain here in Trowbridge for the last hour or so, not too worried though as it will get colder rofl.gif

Posted

the wind is starting to pick up but is south south east - i expect as the front approaches and we get a more se flow the temps will drop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I am in cornwall - very wet at present 6c at present - not expecting much but what time is the front expected to hit? Drove down from Exeter today and was not much colder.

Hi Ade,

You should some idea from this little lot. drinks.gif

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75613-south-westcentral-southern-england-regional-discussion-17th-januray-2013-12z-onwards/page__st__300#entry2519970

Posted

Yes to make less complicated call it backing , but not exactly what happening in this situation

the wind is east of south now - it was on the seafront earlier and it is in the solent :

http://www.bramblemet.co.uk/%28S%28wf2pryudpzjxyfzctdvhtj45%29%29/default.aspx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Checklist:

- tranquillisers so I can sleep tonight

- sledges at the ready

- snow shovel ready

- salt ready

- iPhone fully charged

- hot chocolate in cupboard for after me and two kids return from a day sledging!

I'm set....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

I hate living in plymouth at times like now, 6.4 degrees and waiting for the cold rain. I'd get in my car and head up to my folks in Bucks if it wasn't for a stupid (massive) structures test on monday! It's sad for me.

Hope those in the east of the region (or high up) enjoy the snow. Really cherish it, and throw a snowball for me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

And according to netweather radar, it is as good as sleeting there now. Not sure what all the fuss is about. rofl.gif

Good luck Portsmouthians.

yes certainly sleety.

Posted

Anyone know whether we might get some snow in Ivybridge? Temp is 5.1c at the moment! sorry.gif

touch and go.

If i was a betting man, i would say rain from the smaller occluded from initially (currently over Penzance) followed by heavy wet snow as the ppn rates increase.

Could last for a few hours, but then back to sleet and rain soon after.

I have been watching that area as I have my family and friends from Plymouth/South hams to keep updated!

Edited by Paul T

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

I hate living in plymouth at times like now, 6.4 degrees and waiting for the cold rain. I'd get in my car and head up to my folks in Bucks if it wasn't for a stupid (massive) structures test on monday! It's sad for me.

Hope those in the east of the region (or high up) enjoy the snow. Really cherish it, and throw a snowball for me!

Its only 20 mins up to dartmoor for you mate! good.gif

Posted

Wind direction? Maybe its briefly veered SW as I think some Dorsetonians were reporting earlier.

Don't panic, it will veer at some point.

Hello GTLTW, long time no see! clapping.gif

S/SSE'ly at around 16mph with light sleet/slushy mess! Dew point around freezing now

SM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Just looked out window and rainsmiliz39.gif

Posted

As far as I can see the temperature profiles across the south coast match what the mesoscale models predicted earlier. The same models show the temperatures falling very slowly if at all until between 12 and 3am, when the drop off rapidly. So, I'm at a loss to understand why there is a constant stream of posters who seem to appear from down here to either moan about downgrades, the current temperature or look for some kind of reassurance. How about everybody waits until tomorrow evening before moaning about not having any snow? If you haven't got any on the ground by then, then you'll have every right to have a moan. But surely not now? Nobody knows for sure what is going to happen. Waiting and seeing with the Mk 1 eyeball is surely the best way forward.

Anyway, rant over. The 18z NAE should start dribbling out soon. Hard to imagine there being too many changes now. Latest UKV seems to up the precipitation on the front a bit from the last run. Also shows some potentially hefty showers around once the frontal wave develops into the depression.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Sleety here on the iow.quite cold hovering around 2c just waiting or the s/e wind to fire in then game on :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hello GTLTW, long time no see! clapping.gif

S/SSE'ly at around 16mph with light sleet/slushy mess! Dew point around freezing now

SM

Trending the right way fo sure.

If you're getting a bit lost as to what the latest is or was, you can do no worse than checking out the following post which links to many another. drinks.gif

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75613-south-westcentral-southern-england-regional-discussion-17th-januray-2013-12z-onwards/page__st__300#entry2519970

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Its only 20 mins up to dartmoor for you mate! good.gif

Have tons of revision to do for Monday (bit behind). Might try and head up for a couple of hours tomorrow but worried they'll close the roads up towards you. Makes me sad when i miss out. Just want to see it actually falling past my window again and being able to run out in to the street like a five year old.

Edited by fUnKy