Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion 17th January 2013 22:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Other way round mate lol east or ese north of London east or ene south of london

cheers mate lol

Posted

What about an Essex slapper Steve lol.

I think you need winds either side of the estuary for that lol

Paul it depends how ENE you want-

if you want to get snow up to dartford, bexley, bromley, Eltham etc- there a very tight margin of error ( I know you know)

If due North is 0 degrees the wind needs to be pointing between 270 degrees ( due west movement) & no more than 250 degrees-

so we have around 20 degrees of angle -

The same for south essex- you can get the streamer above on the same angle as me- but ideal for you is 270 up to 290-

Obviously we are talking MORE penetration into essex on a wider angle but me & you are in a tight margin...

The east kent crew need 180- 200 degrees & mid kent somewhere in the middle-- mid kent have the biggest margin of error!

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted

I keep meaning to go to bed, but I just can't resist one last look at this thread - an hour later, and I'm still here, refreshing the page...!

Right, I am going to drag myself away! Night all, and enjoy the snow fest tomorrow good.gif

Posted

Yeah that's the one. It was fine until late last night though sad.png

I think ull find it only goes stupid when dp goes below zero.

Mines always done it, and I have googled it to kingdom come but cant find a software upgrade for it. Let me know if you ever find out anything about it, please!

It wont last too much longer. Those eggcups things on the wind sensor flew off into the air some months ago, and I hear there's cheap jobbies at Lidls now...

Posted

What about an Essex slapper Steve lol.

Just KNEW that one was going to come up! lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Are we looking at an earlier timeframe for snow now or still lunchtime?

Posted

Paul it depends how ENE you want-

if you want to get snow up to dartford, bexley, bromley, Eltham etc- there a very tight margin of error ( I know you know)

If due North is 0 degrees the wind needs to be pointing between 270 degrees ( due west movement) & no more than 250 degrees-

so we have around 20 degrees of angle -

The same for south essex- you can get the streamer above on the same angle as me- but ideal for you is 270 up to 290-

Obviously we are talking MORE penetration into essex on a wider angle but me & you are in a tight margin...

The east kent crew need 180- 200 degrees & mid kent somewhere in the middle-- mid kent have the biggest margin of error!

S

Yeah agree varying angles of attack are crucial. And the 2009 and 2010 Streamers were in fact very different in where their pay loads were dumped off.

Posted

Right, bed for me. Going for a run at 6 tomorrow morning, should be really pretty. Looking forward to sharing tomorrow with you all! Very excited!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Not sure how accurate these are but would be amazing if it came off!yahoo.gif13011909_1718.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

A strengthening breeze noticeably picking up from the channel over the last hour or so and as I put some recyling things into the bin just now, the water on the surface of the lid was frozen solid and the water butt that had been in the full sun today was refreezing. Its going to get ever colder from here on in before the snow arrives and I think that the coldness is upgrading right before this event. Its just like the classic snowfalls of the 60's, 70's and 80's where the cold always intensified leading up to the first flakes... cold.gifclap.gif

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

I think ull find it only goes stupid when dp goes below zero.

Mines always done it, and I have googled it to kingdom come but cant find a software upgrade for it. Let me know if you ever find out anything about it, please!

It wont last too much longer. Those eggcups things on the wind sensor flew off into the air some months ago, and I hear there's cheap jobbies at Lidls now...

Mines previously been okay when going below 0... I must have caught the bug off of you in the easterly gales blum.gif But sure, will do... It does seem to have a mind of its own occasionally!

Posted

Nearly!

The ENE Affects both side of the Estuary, and it cuts off the Northern Part East London

So SE & South Essex does well from an ENE, That shower train crosses the River at Dartford and goes onto affect SE London and in good Streamers Surrey (See 2009) 52cm

The ESE Affects Herne Bay and areas along the South Side of the Thames upto Gravesend, crosses the river and affect the North of London and in extreme cases Herts and Middlesex etc

Btw People in the Anglia Thread reporting settling snow in Norwich and most areas from the Blob.

Also just to note have never received even a shower from a ESE Streamer but can only think of 1 since Netweather was set up so quite a rare beast!

I vote for a ESE...sorry this may be abit IMBYacute.gif

Posted

This part of Kent (far SE for those on mobiles) always gets decent streamer action out of a ENE'ly or NE'ly. It was this direction that gave us along a coastal strip from Deal down towards Hastings(?) in February 2010...a foot of snow from light to moderate snow in 20 hours!

Posted

And so to bed. Very informative and entertaining tonight, thank you all. I am unusually not too excited about this as a] I have to get the flipping Cat to the Vet on Sat and that road will be a slalom by then. Then I am supposed to be going to Leeds on Sunday!

May have to can the Leeds trip but have to get the darned Cat to the vet. She may need a Coat to go over her Coat if I have to walk there.

Goodnight all and I hope every one of you gets what they wish for. CJ. x

p.s My Daughter's firm was sent an email from the Met Office this afternoon [she works central London] warning of heavy Snow and possible Train problems.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Skies have clouded over now.. Temp up to 0.1c from -2.4c a couple of hours ago

Posted

I'm in Woolwich but my kids go to school in grove park. I'm worried about sending them off at 7. Would hate for them to get stuck out in the cold. What time will we know if this is going to be lots or just a little bit? ( I know it's hard to tell but roughly :-) )

Posted

Yes 260 Degrees is the perfect angle of attack.

Last Temp check for me before I retreat

Temp 0.5c

Dewp -5.6c

So the really dry air is now firmly in place and not shifting and the temp is rising as expected on a keen South Easterly which is already cutting through the body, god only knows what it will be like tomorrow when it gets stronger.

Good luck tomorrow everyone!