Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion 17th January 2013 22:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

London isn't the only area in the UK, probably for Wales or parts of the West.

I never mentioned London

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

COBR - really shouldn't be an A on the end blum.gif

Can also confirm that it sounds likely that there will be a COBR meeting tomorrow. Having the Army on standby is a common thing if a COBR meeting is called for such an event like this, would be kind of pointless to call the meeting and not put contingency plans into use otherwise!

Cabinet Office Briefing Room A

So COBRA lol

Posted

And that is what's coming our way biggrin.pngcold.gifclap.gifhelp.gif

post-2721-0-79422400-1358466578_thumb.jp

Lol Rampkin I love you.

Im sure 5-10cm of snow is not worthy of a cobra roll out. Not in our region anyway (actually perhaps it is lol). Wales on the other hand may need a few extra shovels.

Edited by Shrimper

Posted

I presume that trough will keep the precipitation active until the trough dies out?

hi perfect

these are details that you have trouble seeing on the main models

check back i have updated them

no idea where they are now though cc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

MetO also have a Red Alert out which could be extended.

Cobra is there as a precaution at this stage anyway.

have to admit mate I did here that mentioned on the news

But just assumed they meant for Wales due to towns being cut off

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I never mentioned London

That's what I was saying, rmc1987 said that there was only an Amber warning across London so the need for a COBRA meeting wasn't justidied...however I said that London wasn't the only area in the UK, the COBRA meeting would probably be for parts of wales and the West.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Yeah agree varying angles of attack are crucial. And the 2009 and 2010 Streamers were in fact very different in where their pay loads were dumped off.

Interesting to read and understand about these streamer angles! In February 09' we had only half of what we had in November 10', I thought they were both from ENE streamer flows but the November 10' streamer lasted longer? Correct me if I'm wrong I seem to recall having around 6-7inches in 09 over one night but 10' seemed to go on for over a whole day and thus resulted in over a foot of snow here in Dartford

Posted

Dont think this has been mentioned yet,it looks like upper-8 on the ukmo for about 30 hrs.So just wondered are we going to have that powdery snow,where the snowball fighters are not so happy.I was thinking fairly close to that,maybe a bit little more wetter

Guest bjaykent

COBR (Cabinet Office Briefing Rooms) are held for all manner of things. Even the Ash-Die Back disease on trees received a few COBR meetings, though obviously the attendees of the meeting for this sig snow event will find this vastly more interesting and challenging!

It's COBR not COBRA!

They are meeting about Algeria tomorrow, that's why Cameron cancelled his Europe speech

Posted

Cabinet Office Briefing Room A

So COBRA lol

Several briefing rooms, could be any one of them.

Going to be a very busy day at Whitehall tomorrow!

Edited by Yellow Army

Posted

COBR - really shouldn't be an A on the end blum.gif

Can also confirm that it sounds likely that there will be a COBR meeting tomorrow. Having the Army on standby is a common thing if a COBR meeting is called for such an event like this, would be kind of pointless to call the meeting and not put contingency plans into use otherwise!

The 'A' is used at the end which stands for the meeting room A

Lol Rampkin I love you.

Im sure 5-10cm of snow is not worthy of a cobra roll out. Not in our region anyway (actually perhaps it is lol). Wales on the other hand may need a few extra shovels.

Expect 10cm or more help.gifhelp.gif

Posted

Anyone else think its quite exciting to think that our snow (hopefully!) Is now blowing around in the Atlantic ocean. The weather, when you think about it is a very exciting thing. For us geeks ;)

Posted

No......Room A is the room even though there are several rooms to choose from. Anyway, I agree, it's going to be busy good.gif

Posted

Interesting to read and understand about these streamer angles! In February 09' we had only half of what we had in November 10', I thought they were both from ENE streamer flows but the November 10' streamer lasted longer? Correct me if I'm wrong I seem to recall having around 6-7inches in 09 over one night but 10' seemed to go on for over a whole day and thus resulted in over a foot of snow here in Dartford

Correct

The February 2009 event was believe it or not just 1 day, and from late evening to early dawn the next morning Surrey had received 52cm of level snow from Huge Convective Thundersnow Showers. I wrote a paper on this one which is still within the Netweather archives if you put into the search Thames Snow Streamer Event 2009 you will find it, the London UHI Had a massive effect on this event effectively pushing the cloud tops from 17,000ft to 26,000ft over London and the showers became 75% Stronger as they passed over London.

The November 30th to December 2nd event in 2010 was over 3 days of continous shower trains, the funny thing was Leigh On Sea had the very 1st and last shower that spell and we ended here on 37cm of level snow, Surrey did not do so well from this and as Steve says the angle of attack was ever so slightly different.

Cheers

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

]gathering.gifexcl.pngcrazy.gifcold.gif Don't panic!wink.pngsmile.png

Posted

Bbc news 24

Snow on Sunday more on Monday and tuesday

That forecast ties in with the charts JP has recently posted biggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

I just had to go check my heating hadn't tuned off - its got very cold here last ten mins!!!!!!

Posted

Snow graphics on bbc news 24 not quite as good at 11.57 for south east. Any one else notice?

Bbc news 24 stating snow persisting into early next week across central and eastern areas, I'm sure many in the south east will fare well!