Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18th January 2013, 06z Onwards

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Back edge of the front seems to be approaching now. Should stop snowing soon I'd imagine or at least become patchy and light. 15cm so far here. Will try upload some pics soon.

Edited by Chris K

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

rain is easing now just very cold drizzle wind died down considerably!!!

Hi Jess,

No snow at all, at any point?

Posted

Eastern side of Ryde - we had a brief sleet shower and the wind has swung round more to the east - snow is obviously slackening off now and BBC are indicating it's due to finish around 1300 - but regardless of that it's snowed!!!!! As I type this I can look towards Culver and there is a lightening of the sky so perhaps the heaviest is passed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Still snowing here in Bristol, albeit lightly. Not expecting anything too heavy now, just light snow through the afternoon.

Brilliant event IMBY though, haven't yet measured but easily 10cm+. Everywhere white, roads impassible including A370.

I've had my yearly snowfix now. Well happy!

Well done AWD and Thanks for your hard work with the analyses of late.

Touch wood, you should get an ICE day too. good.gif

Posted

That is impressive, I am well chuffed for a whole lot of folks. Whispering quietly, it does seem that even those prone to much higher Temperatures than the rest of us have seen some lying snow.[/

Keep the reports coming, not many have had plain ole rain away from Cornwall then. search.gif

Hopefully, your turn (Cornwall's) will come as the longer the snowcover hangs around, the harder the battle will be for the milder moist air.

So do you think Cornwall will get some action this winter as happy as I am for folks!!!!!! Grrrr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

it's great out there, good 4 to 5 inches on the ground and still snowing lightly and long may it continue :)

Posted

heavy here once again in gosport but smaller flakes than we had an hour ago, but roads covered over again after the rush hour slush

2 inches so far

Gona travel back to Gosport soon as don't want o get stuck in petersfield

Reckon I missed the best snow at 8am this morning ha ha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Pretty much a non event in Exeter, some sleet and heavy rain but i'm told area's surrounding us, especially to the north and east have had a good amount if snow of snow!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Lol!!!

Posted

Any further updates guys n gals.

It seems I can cross a few locations off, so hopefully this marginality that a whole lot of us were concerned about has disappeared for now or at least, been delayed.

So, to repeat.

Has it snowed in................................

Coastal Dorset regions, such as Poole, Bournemouth, Weymouth etc.

Coastal Devon

Isle of Wight

Other regions of the Costa del South Coast

Lastly, how much rain has fallen in parts of Cornwall and Devon, for example.

10 mm on AWS so prob about 12.5mm in copper gauge,bit of snow in camelford,otterham,altanun and lauceston.radio talking about plenty of surface flooding in west cornwall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Just measured 10cm and more in places. Awesome!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Still chucking it down at ventnor, just got back from a nice walk in virgin snow and it was a pretty vicious biting wind almost like a blizzard!! Had about 8cm.

Edited by bobafet

Posted

Hi Jess,

No snow at all, at any point?

Nope I was excited last night woke up at 3 looked out and had gale force winds and heavy rain, has been ever since! But gone quiet now just drizzle shame as I was so close to the yellow warning

Posted

We have had up to 4/5 inches of snow in East Cornwall. The area around Kit Hill looked pretty bad. It is thawing quite rapidly now

Blimey, good stuff. When you say East Cornwall, where do you mean, not heard of Kit Hill.

Sounds like elevation was the key.

Bodmin Moor and Davidstow Airfield areas might have been lucky I imagine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Pretty much stopped here again now.

Im hoping this stuff behind it pepps up.

Posted

well just taken the dog out for a 3 mile walk over the hills etc, managed to take a few pictures, but not time to upload yet.

Snow report here in N.Dorset is 10-15cm lower down, 25-30cm on the hills (and picture to prove it), A350 major road in N.Dorset bad with lorries taking bends in the middle of the road since thats the only clear line.

Ploughs have been out even on major roads, but roads still easily covered by snow, just now with 1-2 ft ridges on the side of some roads.

Snow still heavy and blowing on the hills, light but moderate at lower levels.

Radar says still a bit more snow to come but a very happy iceberg.

Back out now to enjoy it with the kids.

Excellent stuff Iceberg. Thanks go to you for the excellent analysis of late too.

Already 10 inches plus, lucky buggers. drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

Snow very light now

We have had 10 cm since 03:45 AM

Patchway, Bristol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny summers, cold and snowy winters. Traditional seasons please!

Around 3-4 inches here and snow is still coming down, so I expect to see at least another couple of inches added to that :)

Can anyone in Southampton tell me how bad it is there? My other half has to drive from Basingstoke to Southampton and I've heard there are problems on M27, M3 and A3. Plus roads in southampton too! I am trying to persuade him to come home but need a strong argument as he is being stubborn!!

Posted

No Snow in South West Devon, just rain, is there any hope at all for us in the next few days, am feeling quite sad.

There's always hope. More especially, should the parts due North East of you keep their snowcover too. If you can find any elevation not far from where you live, you may well be pleasantly surprised.

No mild air, by that I mean average Temperatures are in sight for the next few days.

Posted

Pretty much stopped here again now.

Im hoping this stuff behind it pepps up.

Potential for pepping up, seems to be turning to sleety snow again as soon as it comes off the coast down here. Shower just started! I shall send it east for you!! Edited by Olly

Posted

Road been ploughed but another white covering on top, Side roads very bad . Still snowing though lighter now,,,,,,,,,,No sky tv

Bugger no sky tv, when its no netweather you got problems. rofl.gif

Posted

If the 12pm and 3pm NAE PPN charts are to be believed, then this should be sizeable and move on up the bristol channel to south Wales, North Somerset and Glouse...i remain scepticle

post-9222-0-05951000-1358504970_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Disappointed really. We have maybe 4cm here at best, and a melt is very much set in. Snow has all but died out. Damp squib. Bring on this next event.