Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 18/01/13 12z---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

It's been snowing moderately to heavy since I left at 3pm, it's not stopped despite the radar, we've got an easy extra couple cm from that. Wind chill is below -15.

BT

Any snow in our area at the moment,i am work at the moment

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Send it further west pal

Is it not belting down there?, not big flakes but really really intense, almost horizontal.

Posted

Oh for gods sake,that is just ridiculous.

I know it really is ridiculous. I'd understand if it was major snow event that hadn't been seen and caused untold disruption. In reality this is just a typical winter setup and event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Been ridiculously unlucky today

Posted

Sure its sleet now :s

Surely it cant be sleet, the temperature and dewpoints and uppers too low???

Posted

Is it not belting down there?, not big flakes but really really intense, almost horizontal.

It did briefly but eased off now! Hoping we get a prolonged spell overnight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Snow back on in Keswick, still seeing loads of annoyingly snowy facebook updates back home in Newcastle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

BT

Any snow in our area at the moment,i am work at the moment

C.S

According to the radar no, according to my lampost sh*t loads is coming down!

Posted

Winds are bitter aren't they. Probably even more so were you live. Still moderate snizzle here. All I'm expecting to be honest, don't think I'll see that large fluffy white flake from this batch of precipitation.

Posted

I know it really is ridiculous. I'd understand if it was major snow event that hadn't been seen and caused untold disruption. In reality this is just a typical winter setup and event.

Aye..I have a feeling if the northern half of the country had been affected today instead of where it did there would not be a bloody news 24 bbc1 special. Edited by greybing

Posted

looking at the rain today radar it looks like the stuff in the east is piverting and heading back west

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Aye..I have a feeling if the northern half of the country had been affected today instead of where it did there would not be a bloody news 24 bbc1 special.

quite right.

Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station

Starting to get heavier here again

Posted

It did briefly but eased off now! Hoping we get a prolonged spell overnight

Yes sorry to get peoples hopes up, it has eased but the flakes (and i dont want to get peoples hopes up) are slightly bigger, only slightly, IF and this is a big if, but if it were to carry on snowing like this for another 6 hours, we would have a decent covering, now here is the current MO radar, which only suggests light snow.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observations/uppermill#?tab=map

Now as we know its not the heaviest ive ever seen but its a bit more than light, If that were to continue, we may be in business. This predicted PPN chart suggests its a possibility.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/?tab=map

RAMP OVER!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

looking at the rain today radar it looks like the stuff in the east is piverting and heading back west

C.S

sounds good mate. snizzle storm here. Edited by swainclubber

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

There is energy being pumped into the back edge of the front, probably what was left over from the stuff over Wales, and it's causing it to intensify, expand and cause chaos.

Posted

I can imagine that ppn over the north east is causing chaos this evening, send it this way please smile.png

East Cumbria may catch a few showers but I doubt any will make sufficient inroads into central Cumbria, but who knows, it would be a little ironic to have had to rely on easterlies for snow in Cumbria as opposed to the front which has simply refused to come anywhere near us.

Looking at the radar it shows central lakes with light precip, I'm in Kendal now so can't vouch for what is happening - do you know what it has been doing...

I can count the number of flurries I've seen today.. we've been exceptionally unlucky. Its unusual for Cumbria to end up being the driest part of the country, I'm hopeful we'll get a pounding some point this winter when no-one else gets it, we usually do.. often when Scotland gets it..

Had the front aligned itself on a NNW-SSE path we would have been pounded.. but not to be.

I'm pleased for everyone who wanted snow and got it today.. southern parts of the region tend to do very poorly in general compared to us, so I'm very pleased in this respect.

For us Cumbrians we just have to keep the faith!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

OMG started watching the BBC special programme about today's snow and it took me all of a minute to work out that I was actually watching the news. They even had Fiona Bruce presenting it.

For gods sake this didn't, warrant a special programme just tune into News 24.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

East Cumbria may catch a few showers but I doubt any will make sufficient inroads into central Cumbria, but who knows, it would be a little ironic to have had to rely on easterlies for snow in Cumbria as opposed to the front which has simply refused to come anywhere near us.

Looking at the radar it shows central lakes with light precip, I'm in Kendal now so can't vouch for what is happening - do you know what it has been doing...

I can count the number of flurries I've seen today.. we've been exceptionally unlucky. Its unusual for Cumbria to end up being the driest part of the country, I'm hopeful we'll get a pounding some point this winter when no-one else gets it, we usually do.. often when Scotland gets it..

Had the front aligned itself on a NNW-SSE path we would have been pounded.. but not to be.

I'm pleased for everyone who wanted snow and got it today.. southern parts of the region tend to do very poorly in general compared to us, so I'm very pleased in this respect.

For us Cumbrians we just have to keep the faith!

Light snow in Keswick with a sugar dusting, I imagine there is a proper dusting in Windermere now, it looks more substantial down there on the radar.

Posted

Winds are bitter aren't they. Probably even more so were you live. Still moderate snizzle here. All I'm expecting to be honest, don't think I'll see that large fluffy white flake from this batch of precipitation.

No you wont see massive flakes, powdery snow, low temps, low dewpoints, but as my post above, even this sort of snow can accumulate if it snows for long enough, see my above post with the met office charts on.

Posted

BT

looks like the stuff coming out of NI currently in the irish sea is on track for southern

parts of the region,rain today radar looks excellent for the region

C.S

Posted

Have light snow falling again. About 7cm on the ground from last night and today smile.png

post-14390-0-84627400-1358537962_thumb.jpost-14390-0-92713000-1358538144_thumb.jpost-14390-0-15975700-1358538285_thumb.j